Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's wrong with having sugar?

Besides the obvious calorie / carbohydrate count, is there anything wrong with having food or drinks with sugar?

I am asking this because I can not consume artificial sweeteners, especially Aspartame. I have used Splenda before and dont seem to have a noticeable problem with it but I am even getting leery of that.

I have a doctor appointment next month to talk about getting a LapBand.

I'd rather eat real sugar than artificial sweeteners any day. I just keep sugary foods to a minimum, they're treats not every day foods.

I have Interstitial Cystitis, it primarily effects the bladder, it also effects the surrounding pelvic area. A very painful condition. Aspartame is one of the 'foods' will cause my IC to flare up. I have more problems with medications then I did food. Aspirin is the only anti-inflammatory medication I can take. Even cortisone shots will cause a flare.

I had a urostomy (urinary by-pass) done in 2000. I can now have pain in the by-pass conduit and my back. The conduit is tied into a blood supply in my back. Foods are not as bad now since the urine does not lay in the conduit like the bladder but the cortisone shot was bad because I just had to wait it out until it got out of my system.

I try to avoid anything I know will cause the IC to flare because over time the pain and irritation could cause other problems.

I now have a hernia and surgery is scheduled for May. Basically due to the surgery on my abdominal area for the urostomy and my weight. The doctor doing the surgery for the hernia also set me up with an appointment with the gastro doctors.

So, I am reading up on the Lap Band surgery.

Hi Aurora,

I think you may be thinking about bypass surgery vs lapband. With bypass, sugar can make the person sick and they're told to stay away from it. It has something to do with the small intestine since about half of it is removed from the digestive process. It's not actually taken out, just cut and left in place with the lower portion reattached to the new (tiny) stomach.

Everyone has different things they can eat and if you're concerned about the effects of sugar after YOUR lapband surgery, your doctor might be the best person to answer that question. Or, perhaps he could put you in touch with a dietician. I know once you get over the sugar cravings, the food choices become more satisfying and you probably won't miss it that much. Sugary type food and drinks are not part of the lap-band diet but as to your original question: No, sugar shouldn't make you sick. What it will do is raise your blood sugar and make you hungry.

It sounds like you have a doctor who supports WLS even with your medical problems. Hopefully weight loss will make a positive difference in your overall health.

Judy

Sugar does make me hungry. Eating sugar makes me want more sugar. I have also noticed it brings on hot flashes, generally makes me feel lousy and without energy, weak and lightheaded when my blood sugar drops after I have digested the sugar, and even makes my skin break out. Splenda doesn't do that to me, so when I need something sweet I use Splenda.

The generally accepted medical reason to avoid sugar is the effect it has on blood sugar levels; a spike up when you eat it and a spike down when its effect runs out, which causes sharp hunger pains and light-headedness.

Good, at least I could have sugar with the LapBand, and it is more of the calorie issue. I limit my sugar intake as it is now. If I do have a soda its regular not diet. I have changed to Water from the diet drinks. I was drinking the ones with Splenda, but they ‘new and not improved’ them and now they taste bitter/bad to me. So, just as well, I am drinking Water, got me off the sodas. Not good for their pocketbooks but better for mine.

My hernia surgeon was asking me questions about my weight and he asked me if I was a diabetic. I told him I was boarder line and had family history of diabetes. That is when he suggested gastic by-pass. I asked about the LapBand.

I think I will definitely stay away from the gartic by-pass. I did not know they removed/disconnected part of the intestine. Since I had the urinary by-pass when I was 47, (just a young thing according to them) I may have to have it redone at some time. That means they need to take more intestine for the conduit. I would not want to take any chances of not having enough intestines that they could use.

I lost 30 lbs last year basically due to taking Cymbalta, an anti depressant, given to me for my firbomyalgia ( I have a number of health problems). Problem was I did not have the weight loss until after I stopped taking it. I stopped it because of other side effects. I have tied taking it again on an on / off basis to try and get the weight loss effect without the problem (for me) side effects, but have not been able to get the same results. It changed my desire for food; too bad it wasn’t a permanent change. I also feel it changed my metabolism because I did not get weak from the decreased food intake. Weight loss is a noted side effect of Cymbalta.

I have sugar.... and sweet-n-low in tea only cause I grew up with it and prefer it that way. But I don't use splenda and things like that in 99% of things that have sugar.

Aurora Sky was my 'made up name' for my journal as a kid.. teehee.

Nothing wrong with sugar if you have good self control. I don't use artificial sweetners either. After researching them extensively, I won't put them in my mouth! they also make me feel bad. A teaspoon of real sugar only has 16 calories. I use honey in my tea, but avoid it most of the time. As long as it's occasional, I don't see a problem with it. I'm also not diabetic, so it's not a medical issue for me.