Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scheduled with Dr Aceves. Right choice?

I'm also going with DR. ACEVES. My surgery is this Friday. 3/7/08. My aunt went with him and had a great experience. She had is done about 8 months ago and she looks great.

HI, I had surgery 3/7/08, with Dr. Aceves wonderful experience,,... Did I meet you? I went looking for everyone who had surgery same day... :eek::grouphug:

My husband and I are both scheduled with Dr aceves in April 2008. We haven't read anything bad about him so far. I do keep seeing Dr. Ortiz and Rumbaut's name pop up all over. I hope I am making the right choice. Aceves was cheaper than Rumbaut and closer to the border. Those 2 factors are what persuaded our decision to go to Aceves but I want to make sure he has a good reputation. This is scary stuff to me, I hope we made the right decision!

You have made an excellent decision! I went to Mexicali mid-Sept. 2007. Dr. Aceves and his staff are the best! I could not imgine better treatment or a better facility. I have lost 52 lbs. so far with only one fill. You won't regret it - good luck!

You are in good hands with Dr. Aceves and the staff. I feel like we are being ripped off in America when it comes to health care. Each Dr. that was part of the surgical team came and met with me before the surgery. I let them know my concerns with anastesia and it went great. I am going back tomorrow for my first fill and can not wait. I was banded on 2/15/08. I worried for nothing.......Great Choice...

You are in good hands with Dr. Aceves and the staff. I feel like we are being ripped off in America when it comes to health care. Each Dr. that was part of the surgical team came and met with me before the surgery. I let them know my concerns with anastesia and it went great. I am going back tomorrow for my first fill and can not wait. I was banded on 2/15/08. I worried for nothing.......Great Choice...

Hopefully I'll get to meet you! A friend is in need of her first fill and she hasn't been to Mexico alone yet so I'm going along for the ride.

How much is your surgery? I am scheduled with Ortiz in TJ- $8000. Have you heard anything about him?

Thanks!!!

My surgery with Aceves is $7,900 which includes being picked up at the San Diego airport and driven 90 minutes to Mexicali. 1 night hotel stay the night before and 2 nights in the hospital. They also take us back to the airport. My husbands surgery is this friday the 4th and mine is Saturday the 5th. We are both VERY excited (and scared!)

Jo75219 , When are you scheduled? Ask WASabubblebutt about Ortiz, she seems to have the scoop! Good luck to you!!

My husband and I are both scheduled with Dr aceves in April 2008. We haven't read anything bad about him so far. I do keep seeing Dr. Ortiz and Rumbaut's name pop up all over. I hope I am making the right choice. Aceves was cheaper than Rumbaut and closer to the border. Those 2 factors are what persuaded our decision to go to Aceves but I want to make sure he has a good reputation. This is scary stuff to me, I hope we made the right decision!

So how did it go with Aceves? I'm thinking about booking with him......he seems to come highly recommended. How was the trip to and from the airport, especially after the surgery? Did you get lab work before and afterwords? Pain meds and meds to prevent nausa? When did you get the surgery and how much have you lost since then? Anything else I should be asking...:unsure: PB

Our experience was wonderful! We flew in 1 day early and stayed in the recommended hotel. They picked us up in the morning. The ride in the van was ok but if you suffer from motion sickness you'll want to ask ahead of time if you can take something. When we arrived at the hospital we met Dr Aceves. A very nice man! The staff weighed and measured us and the usual routine medical stuff. They also gave us a tour of the hospital. Then they took us to a very nice hotel maybe 20 miuntes away (?) They told us we could eat anything we wanted (we had to pay for it of course). Then we all met with one of the Dr's and he explained everything that would happen the following day. He showed us an actual band, explained the surgery, and the life we would have after the surgery. He answered all of our questions. They gave us sleeping pills to make sure everyone got good rest. In the morning they took us to the hospital and checked us into our rooms. Dr Aceves came to talk to us individuallyand answer any questions. They gave us some medication and then took us in for surgery. When we got out of surgery they had us up and walking within a couple of hours. They were generous with the pain meds and very accomodating. Since my husband and I were scheduled 1 day apart I slept on a VERY COMFY sofa in his room the first night. The next day (my surgery day) I had my own room. We wanted to share a room that night so they gave us a bigger room but the couch in it wasn't as comfortable so they moved beds and swapped sofas! The facility was very clean. There was NEVER a time that we were in the hallways that we didn't see someone mopping or cleaning! We met with Dr after surgery and they gave us a written detailed report of our surgery along with xrays to take home. We met with a nutritionalist about our future diet. We were driven back to the airport with "Pain meds to go" and haven't regretined one second of it.

Day 1 - Get picked up / get medical info / explain procedure

Day 2 - Surgery

Day 3 - Still in hospital, see nutritionalist

Day 4 - Go home

It has almost been 1 year for us. We went back for a fill 7 weeks after surgery. It wasn't enough but we didn't go back. I was still able to eat way too much junk. We got our 2nd fill locally 1 month ago and I finally understand fully what it's like to live with the band! I have lost 33 pounds. It might not soung like a huge success story but I haven't excersized 1 single bit and eat ice cream every night. Fortunately it's physically impossible to get a Big Mac down. Keep in mind also that I wasn't as overweight as a lot of people with the band. I started at 205 and am now 172. I went from a size 18/20 to 10/12. Also consider that it's been 1 year and I haven't GAINED weight! My husband has lost 60 pounds. (28 of it has been since we had the proper fill 1 month ago) He also doesn't excersize. He went from 305 down to 245. (He's 5'11)

We don't regret 1 single dime that we've paid and would recommend this to anyone with a weight problem!

Good luck with your decision. Go for it, you'll be SO GLAD THAT YOU DID!!!!!