Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

tummy tuck before children

This is just a general question, I actually haven't had my band surgery yet but at 26 I have a huge stomach,and have for most of my life even. At one point when I lost a lot of weight my stomach still had a lot of extra skin. That being said I know that to ever get to a wear a 2 piece bathing suit I will have to have a Tummy Tuck, but I have not had children yet and wanted to know if any one has an opinion on if it's better to wait till after I have kids or do it now. I've heard that if you haven't finished having kids or not had any at all ps won't tighten the muscle underneath they'll just cut away the skin. Anyone that know anything more or has an opinion please I just wanted to know if i should start saving now. thanks

I've not had my Tummy Tuck yet, but I've gone to a consultation and I've talked to a bunch of people that have had theirs. It really just depends on the surgeon, honestly, from what I've found. Some will apparently absolutely refuse to do a TT on a woman that hasn't had kids, and others don't really care. The PS I had a consultation with a couple of weeks ago had no problems with me not having had children. I've also heard recommendations that any post-TT pregnancy should be postponed until a couple of years after the TT, to allow for full healing. I haven't had kids yet, and I don't really want them at this point in my life. I'm going into this with the viewpoint that this is my money and I'm fully aware of and willing to take the risk that any future pregnancy may or may not ruin the TT, so give me a tummy tuck, damn it! :) :glare:

I personally feel that any PS that flat-out refuses to do a TT on a woman who hasn't had kids is on more than a little bit of a high horse. I mean, I can understand it if it's a woman that really doesn't need a TT, but it's rather outlandish, IMO, to tell a woman that's lost a drastic amount of weight that she just needs to live with the extreme amounts of hanging skin because the PS doesn't want his "artistry" to be ruined. Don't get me wrong, I think the patient in that situation needs to be informed of the likelihood that the TT will basically be reversed by any future pregnancy, but I feel that the final decision on whether or not to take that risk should be up to the patient.

Interesting thread - My Best Friend had a TT 3yrs ago. She had already had 3 kids, and though she was not over weight or lost a huge amt..she had loose skin and it personally bothered her. At the same time of her TT she had her boobs lifted.... Well, "new" husband - and "poof" she's gets pregnant w/No 4.

For those who may want to become pregnant after a TT - it's a crap shoot. I don't think a Dr can make any guarantee what your body will look like afterwards. She looks perfect in my opinion, 16 months after giving birth. She does take care of herself / eats well / works out - ... Her belly bounced back awesome and she's 39.....

The PS I saw a few weeks back said there was no problem really, just that I might end up with a bit of a pudge/sagging skin after a pregnancy, but well, I'd have a baby to show for that. He said I had as much chance of looking perfect afterwards as anyone else, it was really down to genetics/my skin and how well I looked after my skin/body during the pregnancy.

I dont know, I have a *little* crepey loose stomach skin, someone would do a mini tuck on me if I demanded it, but after 3 kids, I havent done too much damage to my stomach. I havent got more than 2 or 3 stretch marks and there's no way I'd need muscle tightening, my stomach is flat as a board, there's just this slightly wrinkled loose skin on top.

So pregnancy does not necessarily ruin your stomach, not by a long shot. But then again I am five foot ten and had 8 or 9lb babies and was one of those annoying people who didnt need maternity clothes till third trimester, AND I never gained a lot in pregnancy, no more than 12kg.

At 26, it may be ten years or even more before you have babies, why would you want to wait that long. I'd do it, and I'd fix it afterwards if needs be, but chances are after pregnancy your tucked tummy will STILL be better than it is now. At your age you've got years to show off your body, I'd go for it, and I'd be supremely careful during pregnancy not to gain fast.

Thank you very much jachut. I mean really I am a little ahead of myself here I mean I haven't even gotten my surgery yet, but I am hopeful and with hopefulness comes a million differant idea's in my head. I truly do want to wear a two piece not a tankini a two peice again in my life, and since i have know what my stomach looks like when I'm a size 5 after all the damage my weight gain and loss has done to me I know for me to feel truly comfortable in one or even to be truly comfortable naked a Tummy Tuck is my only option I just don't want to spend all that money just to ruin it once I do decide to have children. But then again I am going through all this now for health but also because I want to be and feel sexy and attractive. So I may as well do it all.

I agree with Jachut. I will add that you should think carefully about when you might want to have kids before being banded, and take any plastics you might want into consideration. I'm sure you've thought about all of that, just wanted to add it. Most surgeons recommend waiting at least 12 to 18 months after banding before becoming pregnant...but losing weight dramatically increases a lot of women's fertility, and they often become pregnant unintentionally after losing some weight.

I heard in Europe some docs call the lap band the "Fertility Band" because of its effect on the ability to become pregnant. Make sure you use good birth control after banding!

I expect that I will eventually get a TT after I am at goal, but I want to have a baby in a couple of years (after I am finished with grad school). My timeline (for pregnancy) is a little short because I will be almost 37 by then, so I am not going to have any plastics until after a pregnancy, if I am able to become pregnant by then. I can wait 4 years (or longer) for plastics, especially if I am preoccupied by a new career and a baby. :thumbup:

I guess all of this is just to say if you think it will be a while (some years) before you want to have kids, I'd have your TT, and just factor in the amount of time after the TT before planning any pregnancies. If you might want kids sooner, I'd hold off. But all of that might not matter, as sometimes these things have a way of happening on their own schedule. :( I never planned on waiting as long as I have to start a family, but my first marriage ended around the time I wanted to start a family, so...here I am, remarried after several years single/divorced, in grad school, taking life as it comes to me. Others find themselves parents when they didn't expect it. LOL. Who knows what can happen?

Alicia,

As I was reading your post, it was like you were typing my exact thoughts. Odd too b/c I'm also 26 and my name is Alisa...LOL It's nice to know that there are other ladies out there that feel exactly as I do about the TT option. I, however, will not be getting my TT until after I have my 2 kids. I just don't want to take that risk of messing it up after spending all that money, and the way my luck is, that is exactly what would happen! LOL