Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In need of Encouragement!

Hi Guys,

It has been a while since I have been to the site, but I am in need of some help. I am about 7 months out from surgery and roughly 25 pounds down.

I am having a VERY hard time keeping up with the diet (protein, Protein, protein). I was such a carbo addict before surgery that it is hard to turn of that carving overnight. And sweets, dont even get me started on that! And the same goes for food in general.

Has anyone else lost their momentum during their adventures with the band? And if so, how can you go about changing your mindset to food? I so want to get over this plateau that I seem to be on and reach my goal.

HELP!

Sharon :)

I think everyone loses their momentum at some point, it's getting back on the horse that counts! Youth just have to live every day with the idea that you want to be happier and healthier, and to get there you need to be dilligent about what you eat. Sure that doesn't taste as good, but it makes you FEEL good!!

I wish you nothing but the best of luck... We need all the help we can get!

Have you been to the doctor lately for a fill? Also, it sounds like you totally need to sugar detox. Give up all carbs and sugar for 3 days, you'll be surprised how much better you feel. I know when I'm totally sugar free, I don't have the mental hunger. Just try for 3 days. Good luck.

I have DEFINITELY fallen down...more than once. The important part is to get back up. Just take that first step to get the carbs out of your system. Once they are out, the cravings are much easier to handle. Mine are in my head and actually easier to battle now that my body isn't begging for sugar. I agree with katrose - do a 3-day purge. Tell yourself it's just 3 days...you can do that. At the end of 3 days, you'll feel so much better and a bit stronger at fighting those carbs. You can do this!

I got banded on Oct 23 2007, I lost 30 pounds after the surgery. Since Decemeber I have not lost anything!! I have a fill on Jan 7, and I just had a fill last week. It does not make me feel full. I can eat anything what the hell is going on? I have no tool inside me working? I thought it was a tool to help with weight loss it is doing nothing. HELP!!!!!!

Isvalada, I had my surgery on 10-31. I do know how you feel. I lost a lot right away, and then 4-5 pounds a month. I just new they didn't really give me a band. Nothing made sense. I could eat and eat. I just had my 4th fill last week. I'm still going to have to go back for more. You just don't have enough restriction yet. Just keep getting fills till you finally get it right.

As for momentum, you just have to quit "waiting for it to come back". I gained some weight after my wedding in June, and in January I said "enough" and started counting calories that day and I'm almost back to my pre-wedding weight. Then I can start getting back toward my main goal.

Is it very common to feel full for a couple weeks after banding and then feel like you can eat anything? I was banded Feb. 8. I have only started feeling good yesterday and today. It seems the better I feel the more I want to eat. Does this sound like a reduction of swelling after my band or head hungry? Thanks to anyone who can share there experience.

I understand where you are coming from. I am obviously not at my "sweet" spot yet either. All I would hear before surgery was how when you have it done, you lose your constant hunger. That is sooooo not true in my case!

It is weird thought because I have days where I feel like I can eat anything and everything, and then there are other days that I can hardly eat anything. When I got my last fill, I asked the doctor about this and he said that it is common. He said that it happens to everyone, banded and not banded, the only thing is, since we are banded, we are more sensitive to how much we are actually eating. Which is true, because I remember days before I was banded that I was just not as hungry as usual.

Well, we will get there one day. Until then, we are members of the slow losers club!

Sharon

I would first like to commend your weightloss, you have done well. You say you only are losing 4 -5 pounds a month. Did anyone tell you before your surgery that the LapBand is a slow process.....average weightloss is 8 pounds a month. That is average which means you might be that you might be below that or above that.

Make sure you are logging your food, I find that I had no idea what I was eating in the amount of calories and fat before surgery until I started logging it. I was amazed about what was going into my mouth. Make sure you do get in your Protein because it will keep you fuller longer than the other foods. Drink lots and lots of Water, this is also a key. Are you working out at all or doing any exercise? That is also a key here.

By no means give up, I will tell you I don't eat sugar, once I purged I wanted to keep feeling that wonderful feeling. So I stay away from it, if I happen to want a bite of something sweet I have a BABY SPOON bite of it.

Non of this was a surprise to me, because our nutritionist supplied me with all this information before my surgery. She told me what amount to eat for the REST of my life. She told me what to eat first and what to eat second and thirdly. When she would be asked for how long she would smile and say forever.

This is about changing our lives, and eating habits, some since birth......to forever. The band is a tool and it will NOT do the work for you totally you have to work with it. I think if you step back and look at your movement, water, protein and calories you will get back on track. Perhaps you do need a fill. Discuss this with your DR. I am sure they will also be able to analyze why you think you are not doing well. However in my opinion you are losing on the average.

Great Job, don't give up!!

You can absolutely get back on track. Determine if you need a fill and get one if you need it. Definitely detox off the sugar and carbs by sticking to very high Protein liquids or solids and add green veggies only.

Track everything you put in your mouth by logging both calories and Protein intake. Do not guess if you are getting enough protein, count it. Stay to 1200 calories OR under for the three days.

Prepare first. Get everything you need in the house and choose a time when you know you can stick to it for the three days. Does your Dr. require liquids after a fill? If yes, then plan to do the detox after your fill.

You can do this.