Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

moving your port site

For anyone out there who has had their port site moved (in particular, by Dr. Yau) how has it worked out for you?? Mine is just left-of-centre upper abdomen, is flipped on it's side, and sticks out like a third boob! So I'm going to get it moved down to the groin area. Please let me know if you have had this done and how it has worked out for you. I'm a bit nervous...:smile::tt2:

You should soon hear from Donna D. She had her changed. But from what I understand have no fear because it is a simple procedure. More to the point, if you are nervous, contact Dr. Yau and talk to him. Doddie

You should soon hear from Donna D. She had her changed. But from what I understand have no fear because it is a simple procedure. More to the point, if you are nervous, contact Dr. Yau and talk to him. Doddie

Thanks, Doddie. And to Donna D.: So where did you get moved to exactly? Does it stick out? Can you wear a bathing suit without it showing??

Inquiring minds want to know:rolleyes2:;):rolleyes2:

Hi Lisa in Toronto

It is fantastic how quickly you lost the weight, I am so bummed about losing so little in such a long time. I have no one to blame....anyway

moving the port...mine was up between my boobs and I had it moved midway between boobs and belly button. It is on its side too but I don't have any problems with it. I don't wear a bikini so it doesn't show besides it is sitting behind my midriff bulge.

If it bothers you go for it. He indicated that I would have 3 new incision marks instead of 2 the way I went. Not that it should have made any difference as the area is rarely exposed, much to my chagrin!!!!

Hey Lisa,

Please let me know how it works out, if you do decide to move your port. Mine is in pretty much the same spot as you describe, and sticking out more and more as I get closer to my goal. I think I'll definetly get it moved once I get to goal. I will wait to see if I need to have a Tummy Tuck before I do it. Might as well do it all at once, if I need to.:thumbup:

Thanks, donna d. and kwalla. I had my surgery yesterday by Dr. Yau, and it went fine. A bit sore today, but couldn't resist getting up and out, meeting my friend for a coffee- it's beautiful outside today! Anyhow, it was moved to my left groin. It's a bit swollen today, but I'm sure I'll be glad I did it. Donna, please keep plugging along, try to get some exercise in, and I know you will lose, slowly but surely. And Kwalla, write again or pm me, once the time comes for you to make your decision and I'll try to answer any questions you may have.

Mine is also above my groin area but it is flipped on it's side and often causes me pain from rubbing against my skin when I sit. Does anyone know if Dr. Yau charges to un-flip the port? Also, do you have to convince him to do it in the first place or does he automatically agree to do it?

I spoke with Dr. Yau about moving my port before, and he said I can do it at any time, I just have to decide. He told me there would be no charge. He did suggest that I wait untill I reach my goal, before I decide to move it, but I was thinking of doing it or esthetic reasons. If your port bothers you, I don't see why you can't have it moved.

Good luck on that. I flew all the way out to Toronto because my port was on its side. The surgeon out here referred me back because it takes him 3 needles and approx. 25 minutes to put in a fill. So I booked an appointment to see the doctor and booked the surgery time. I arrived there only to be told the fill nurse would see if she could could put in a fill. She did after two tries. Her attitude was one of arrogance faulting my surgeon out here as not knowing how to do a fill and telling me I didn't need surgery. So I had spent $1,000.00 and I still have my port on its side and the Dr. out here still has to take 3 needles and 25 minutes to give me a fill.

Good luck on that. I flew all the way out to Toronto because my port was on its side. The surgeon out here referred me back because it takes him 3 needles and approx. 25 minutes to put in a fill. So I booked an appointment to see the doctor and booked the surgery time. I arrived there only to be told the fill nurse would see if she could could put in a fill. She did after two tries. Her attitude was one of arrogance faulting my surgeon out here as not knowing how to do a fill and telling me I didn't need surgery. So I had spent $1,000.00 and I still have my port on its side and the Dr. out here still has to take 3 needles and 25 minutes to give me a fill.

Doddie: That's terrible. Why didn't they have you in for surgery that day? I can't believe that they'd have you travel so far and assume it was just for a fill. Did you talk to Dr. Yau directly? He should know when things screw up this badly. Sorry to hear about your aggravation.

Doddie, I'm so sorry you went through that. That is why I asked the question, because I could see them telling me the port being on it's side is nothing and refusing to un-flip it.

Doddie, I'm so sorry you went through that. That is why I asked the question, because I could see them telling me the port being on it's side is nothing and refusing to un-flip it.

So, Lizzie, mine was also flipped, so Nancy had to go in sideways for fills. Anyhow, it stuck out, and showed through sweaters, and I really wanted it further down in my groin, so my hip bone could hide it. I just talked to Dr. Yau, and explained what I had in mind and he was fine with it. Surgery was Friday, went to sleep, woke up with a sore tummy and the port where I should have asked for it to go in the first place, but didn't do my research fully enough at the time, I guess.

Lisa, I'm glad they agreed to do it for you. But where I don't want my location changed and just want it un-flipped, do you think they would still agree? I'm visiting my brother in Toronto towards the end of April so I'd love to have it done then. I suppose the only way to truly find out is to call them tomorrow.

Lisa, I'm glad they agreed to do it for you. But where I don't want my location changed and just want it un-flipped, do you think they would still agree? I'm visiting my brother in Toronto towards the end of April so I'd love to have it done then. I suppose the only way to truly find out is to call them tomorrow.

I don't know, Lizzie. Dr. Yau intentionally doesn't anchor his ports deeply. I'm not sure what the rationale is - something about the tube potentially getting tangled, I think. Anyhow, talk to Dr. Yau directly, since he's the one who ultimately makes the decision. Seems like it would be pretty simple surgery under a local anaesthetic, so I can't see why he'd say no, except that alot of ports do flip, and he may be overwhelmed by sheer number of requests.

Lisa: The head nurse made the appointment with Dr. and the surgery was to follow. He gave me an interview and then referred me to Nancy to do a fill to see how she did. It took her a few tries but she did a 1 cc fill. Then dismissed me summarily as I didn't need surgery. She made the decision not Dr. Yau. Even though my surgeon in BC wanted it done. I went back the next day and asked for more fill and her arrogance was unbelievable. She told me that she would not do a fill because I had one yesterday. I told her that fill was just to decide if a fill could be put in the port not an actual fill. She told me bluntly she wouldn't do it and as I had eaten Breakfast turned away. I replied she gave me 1 cc the day before and no one had told me to fast. No reply so I went home - $1,000 spent on nothing. I had to demand that a telephone call be made to my surgeon in BC and explain why the surgery was not done. Angry, yes, frustrated,yes but at least I have a nice surgeon who is seeing me every two months. Wished he had been in business before Feb. 07. Doddie