Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need your opinions....get in here! :)

Ahh girlie, we all sympathize, we have been there and some of us like myself are still in "banster hell" except now I'm out of post op diet phase waiting for first fill.

So first of all I want to give ya a BIG HUG! but then you realize I'm gonna have to grab you by the shoulders and give you a gentle shake.< /p>

I was like you, after about a week I felt good to go, no pain really nothing. I have basically been hungry since surgery. The first week or two was tough, but you learn to deal with it because of the greater good down the road. My surgeon told me in my follow up after my surgery that even though I feel fine and think I could eat a sandwich dont do it. While it may have no effects now he said, it could be down the road attributed to erosion or slips if you did not let your body heal properly. I'm sure you are okay but you could always fess up to your doc and see what he has to say - just tell him you had a lapse in judgement but are back on track.

And yes mushies does say ground beef but last time I checked that's not steak hehe. It sounds like you have realized your mistake and know that you should be eating better. So make the vow to yourself and your band to behave from here on out. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :tongue2::biggrin::smile:

you guys are absolutely right. I guess I got carried away....ya think?

For some reason, on my mushies list it does say fish and ground beef! So, I guess I went kinda wild. And, I can't believe I went to McDonalds. And I always forget about the stitches INSIDE. That said, I really am an intelligent woman!! One wouldn't know that by my behavior I guess.

Thank God for this board. I really needed to hear your responses. I think the one things for sure I need to do is not get so hungry in the first place, make better food choices and keep my heard on straight.

I hope to God that I haven't done any damage. Is there anyway to tell?

Marieze

My suggestion would be---since you are feeling well, and out and about---head to the grocery store with your list in hand....on that list, put anything you can eat without issue.

Stock up on Soups, Protein Shake ingredients, fish, veggies that will cook up soft, cottage cheese, yogurt, SF pudding, anything on your Dr.'s list that you will eat.

Come home and prepare any of it that needs it, so it will be ready when the hunger monster drops in. Have healthy, safe options at hand at ALL times! Take a yogurt with you if you have to leave---don't be caught having to make the choices you did the other day.

Increase your Protein intake, it will help some with the hunger--and decrease the carb intake--it will not only help with the weight loss, but will ease the cravings for more of the same. The more carbs and sweets you eat the more you want.

I suggest the foods you prepare, you break down into 1/4 -1/2 cup size servings-and when you get hungry have one. Then get up and go for a walk, or paint your nails, or ANYTHING that gets you away from the food for a minute--the walk is good because it is exercise as well! Then when you come back start working on a bottle of water----are you sure you are drinking enough? Often times we mistake thirst for hunger. When you finish your Water, if you are still hungry, tell yourself ok, then in 30 minutes I can have something else--and do it. Then get away from the food! Straighten the linen closet, or clean out from under a bed--still hungry? Drink another bottle of water.....and repeat as often and as long as you have to!

Limiting the size of each serving will keep you from overloading the pouch at any given time. You risk upsetting how the band is setting itself and also dilation of the pouch if you over stuff it. Most slips are not pain related in any way--the only noticable difference is in restriction....do not wait for pain to be a signal!

You might also register with one of the sites like Fitday or Myplate---not only does it help you keep track------it gives you something to do besides want to eat!!! And they do have good tips for avoiding days like you went through!!!

Bandster Hell is common-----but the goal is a loooooong healthy life with your band-----a chopped steak is so not worth losing your band over!!! Hang in there!!

Welcome to LBT-----loved the title to your thread BTW!!!

Kat

ok, i'm over 4 months out. i too felt exactly what you are feeling. also, i was cleared to go to mushies early. i followed the rules for the most part, but my doctor said most of the foods that you have eaten today are in the mushie stage. however, the problem with the foods you are eating is that they are high in fat and calories.

take this from some one who was where you are and went to mushies early. i followed the rules the first 6 weeks, but i was able to eat 4 pieces of pizza plus breadsticks and a drink 5 weeks after surgery.

more than likely you have no restriction. follow your doctor's rules on the consistency of the foods that you should eat, no one else's. but be careful that you are choosing healthy foods. it is hell, and it only gets worse, but if you can choose healthier foods and keep from gaining you will be much more happy down the road.

4 weeks post op i had lost 12 lbs, which was good. 6 weeks post op at my first fill i weighed 2 lbs less than i did pre surgery, 3 fills later, i'm just now losing weight.

my doctor's office believes that if you can eat it you will, otherwise we would not have needed the surgery. although this may be true for you, you want to follow the rules as far as the consistency of the foods. if you don't you may pay for it way later down the road. as far as your food choices, you are the one that has to deal with that consequence, just as i have.

personally, i have no will power, and i had a lot of trouble controlling what i ate. now i have restriction and i don't even want pizza or anything like that. so.....it will get better and it will take time, but if you are totally wreckless with your food choices the scale will show because your band is not helping you yet.

I have not been banded yet so I have no idea what you are going through. I have been on a liquid diet for 3-4 months before. I don't know if this will help but during that time the dietician told me If you don't eat any carbs just the protien drink your body will go into ketosis in about 3 days. This is where you body starts to burn fat for energy. When your body goes into ketosis you won't be hungry anymore. And it really did help me alot after three days I really wasn't hungry. Maybe if you try to just drink your shakes and no carbs for 3 days it will help you to.:tongue2: best if luck.

O.K., here's the deal. Was banded one week ago. No gas pain, no pain at all, healing great, no meds, a walk in the park compared to my c-section.

I went to the doc for a follow-up visit on Monday (2 days ago). I told my doctor that I had been doing my liquids etc. and that I was starving. He went on to explain (which I already knew) about how until I have a fill I am not going to be restricted and will be hungry. He told me I could "upgrade" to puree/mushies. Well, I have taken that to the limit.

This morning at 9A after dropping my son off at school I was STARVING and went to Taco Bell and ate refried Beans. The portion was not like when I was a teenager and it was a full 1/2 to 3/4 cup. This was more like 1/4 cup. Well 1/2 hour later I had a carton of 2% milk. 1/2 hour later I was still hungry and went back and had ANOTHER refried beans!

Then, you won't believe this (I feel like i'm at the confessional) at 1:30 p.m. I went to McDonalds and ordered the new double filet of fish sandwich without the bun. Well, like with the beans, I took very small bites, chewed about 1,00 times and loved everything second of it. I took about 25 minutes to eat it. After about 45 minutes I had 2 bottles of Water.< /p>

But don't stop there. At 6:45 tonight I was again STARVING and my son and I were running errands and stopped at Applebees. Let the party begin. I ordered this new "chopped" beef steak that came with two sides. macaroni and cheese and garlic mashed potatoes were my two choices. I ate 1/2 the chopped steak, the mac/cheese which was about 1/2 c. and I was done.

O.k. so here's my questions and thoughts. I know this period is referred to as "bandster hell" because we are hungry and not restricted yet. If I am still following the "band rules" i.e. small bites, chewing thoroughly and stopping when I am satisfied, am I going to stretch or "dilate" my pouch? I obviously don't want to undo anything but am o.k. eating like this until I get my fill.

What do you guys think?

Marie

Kat817 had some great suggestions for you and here's what I did in the two weeks I was off work:

I found that tupperware has a "Small Wonders" container (set of 4) that holds exactly 1/2 cup. I went on Ebay and bought three sets and now I LIVE out of them. Cereal in the morning, bring in leftovers to work for lunch, instant protein-puddings. They are just terrific and I know I'm not going to overeat!

As I said before, it will take you another five to seven weeks to be really healed (to the point where you could lift weights even)--so take it easy on the new machinery!! :tongue2:

I think it was me that said "be honest". I didn't mean it in any offensive way. Its an awesome thing that you were honest with yourself about it and brave enough to share it with a bunch of stranger. What I did mean was be honest with your Dr. Don't be afraid to let him know you slipped up. I'm sure you are NOT the first and won't be the last. You obviously would not have had the surgery if you didn't have some sort of issue with food and I'm sure he/she knows that. Talking to your Dr. about it will allow him/her to come up with some solutions that may may pre-fill life more bearable. It may also let him/her know that you will be ready for a fill ASAP.

O.K., here's the deal. Was banded one week ago. No gas pain, no pain at all, healing great, no meds, a walk in the park compared to my c-section.

I went to the doc for a follow-up visit on Monday (2 days ago). I told my doctor that I had been doing my liquids etc. and that I was starving. He went on to explain (which I already knew) about how until I have a fill I am not going to be restricted and will be hungry. He told me I could "upgrade" to puree/mushies. Well, I have taken that to the limit.

This morning at 9A after dropping my son off at school I was STARVING and went to Taco Bell and ate refried Beans. The portion was not like when I was a teenager and it was a full 1/2 to 3/4 cup. This was more like 1/4 cup. Well 1/2 hour later I had a carton of 2% milk. 1/2 hour later I was still hungry and went back and had ANOTHER refried beans!

Then, you won't believe this (I feel like i'm at the confessional) at 1:30 p.m. I went to McDonalds and ordered the new double filet of fish sandwich without the bun. Well, like with the Beans, I took very small bites, chewed about 1,00 times and loved everything second of it. I took about 25 minutes to eat it. After about 45 minutes I had 2 bottles of Water.

But don't stop there. At 6:45 tonight I was again STARVING and my son and I were running errands and stopped at Applebees. Let the party begin. I ordered this new "chopped" beef steak that came with two sides. macaroni and cheese and garlic mashed potatoes were my two choices. I ate 1/2 the chopped steak, the mac/cheese which was about 1/2 c. and I was done.

O.k. so here's my questions and thoughts. I know this period is referred to as "bandster hell" because we are hungry and not restricted yet. If I am still following the "band rules" i.e. small bites, chewing thoroughly and stopping when I am satisfied, am I going to stretch or "dilate" my pouch? I obviously don't want to undo anything but am o.k. eating like this until I get my fill.

What do you guys think?

Marie

Okay - I had a similar situation - about 6 days post surgery I was starving - the point of PAIN.... went to the doc and they reviewed my intake and said that I was only getting about 1/2 of the Protein I needed - so I went to GNC and bought some unflavored Protein whey - I started immediately mixing it in with Tomato Soup, Carnation Instant Breakfast (no sugar added), and anything else I could eat (like thin mashed potatoes) - within a day of getting my required 60-70g of protein I stopped being ravenous.

I am now 16 days post surgery and can tolerate semi-soft foods but NOT alot- I think alot of it has to do with my Breakfast every morning being a Protein shake. Granted - I have to eat something about every three hours to ward off hunger - but I don't consume much - because I NOW know when to quit-- and I haven't had my first fill yet.

Moral of the story - really - try some Protein Drink FIRST and wait an hour before consuming anything- it might help you.

I totally know what you mean tho - before I figured this out I was thinking there is NO WAY I could do this feeling hungry.

GOOD LUCK!