Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went for Revision, but...

After several months of upper GI's endoscopies, and reflux, I had my band unfilled. I've been feeling fine since the unfill, yet I gained 15 lbs.

I decided to get a revision from band to the sleeve. On surgery day, the Dr. removed my band system, but was unable to do the sleeve. My band had eroded my stomach tissue, so the tissue was too thin to staple.

I never would have known about the erosion, since there were no symptoms. I am very thankful that I have such an experienced and caring physician to take care of me. I will be able to get the sleeve in 4-6 months, after I heal.

Just thought I'd share my experiences.

Anita

Anita, Sorry to hear that things have been put on hold as far as your sleeve but, I'm glad your doctor is on top of it and let you know about the issues with your stomach. Sounds like you're in a good frame of mind and that's the best thing to keep you motivated and healthy. Good luck with your future revision. You don't say when the band came out but, I do hope you're feeling better now :cheers2:

How did you research to find a doctor to do the sleeve? Since it is a newer procedure how did you find someone with experience? I see this Dr. Guillermo Alverez advertisement on the forum. Do you know anything about him?

you know, I find that a little worrisome (I am neurotic mind you and find many things worrisome). But if so many erosions are asymptomatic, I wonder if the incidence of them is being under-reported.

Anita, I'm glad things have settled down and that you're on the way to healing.

You said your erosion was without symptoms, but you had months of SOME kind of symptom, right? Before your unfill if the band was too tight (causing reflux and requiring all the testing) the band was putting too much pressure on your stomach this whole time, I'd think. So it wasn't really without symptoms at all.

Before my slip was diagnosed and I had months of recurring issues, I was really expecting to be told the same thing. But my band had not eroded, the stomach was in fine shape and a new band was able to be placed. So these symptoms are not necessarily an indicator of erosion. But I'm thinking that symptoms like that are an indicator of SOMETHING, and medical attention must be paid.

Good luck with everything!

Do you have any idea what might have caused it? Were you too active? Did the original doctor not secure it properly? Was it filled to much? Did you have any type of trama? Did you over eat? :confused2:

pardon my ignorance leather but what is "double V"? does it mean you lost 55 pounds or something? I didnt see it on the newbie faq

victorious valentines

I know Dr. Alvarez and his team quite well. I also researched his background, the number of VSG's he had performed, and his complication rate. His surgical record was impeccable, and his compassion and care is first rate. I'l see him again in July for the VSG surgery. His nurses, his coordinator, etc; they treated me as if I was royalty. Lovely facilities and upgraded suites with internet in the rooms. If you need more info on Dr, A; I would love to share it with you:kelleyanita@sbcglobal.net