Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie and nervous

Hi there,

My name is Carla and I had my LapBand surgery on January 9, 2008. My post-surgery experience has not been as smooth as I had hoped...but I'm doing alright.

I was just wondering if anybody out there has had any experience with noticing symptoms of issues with the lapband, ie. band slippage or having a dialated pouches and things like that. I ate my first solid fool meal about a week ago, and noticed that I had a lot of discomfort afterwards, and I was a bit worried, considering that I haven't even had my first "fill" yet.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!

You shouldn't have discomfort after eating, so if you are (and you have been told by your doctor that you can) it is usually because of one of the following - eating too fast, taking too big of a bite, not chewing enough, eating something really dry (like reheated chicken breast). Other than that you are at the stage where you should be able to eat anything. Try sitting down and relaxing. Take a dime sized bite of food and chew it until it is the consistency of applesauce. Swallow it. Wait and feel if there is any pain. If not, take another bite. As you eat, listen to your body for clues that you are reaching fullness. (Not really fullness, but a feeling of satisfaction -'I've had enough') Stop when you get that feeling. You shouldn't have pain if you do those things. You may still have some swelling from surgery, and that makes you tighter, so even without a fill you can feel the restriction that causes those troubles. If it persists, call your doctor.

Hi there,

My name is Carla and I had my LapBand surgery on January 9, 2008. My post-surgery experience has not been as smooth as I had hoped...but I'm doing alright.

I was just wondering if anybody out there has had any experience with noticing symptoms of issues with the lapband, ie. band slippage or having a dialated pouches and things like that. I ate my first solid fool meal about a week ago, and noticed that I had a lot of discomfort afterwards, and I was a bit worried, considering that I haven't even had my first "fill" yet.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Hi Carla

I had my surgery January 17 and I have been having trouble with hunger. I pushed the limits on the diet restrictions some of the time and I am afraid I might have stretched my pouch. I don't feel anything is wrong. I have some restriction and feel full sooner so that's good. I have my first fill next Tuesday so wish me luck.

How are you doing now?

Lynda:scared2:

Iwood,

Hi. I'm having my surgery done in two weeks and worry about the hunger you mentioned in your thread reply. After reading a lot of the other discussions of people talking about how they can only eat a few bites of this or that, I wonder how I'm going to be able to handle my hunger. Is the hunger like it was before the surgery when you hadn't eaten all day? I'm nervous that I'm going to botch up the whole thing because I can't control my hunger pains.:eek:

Remember that healing takes 6-8 weeks so it's natural to feel full after small amounts of food during this time. Once the swelling subsides, people often feel hunger again and that's when it's time to start getting fills scheduled. It's also important not to compare yourself to anyone else. Some people heal faster than others and the anatomy of the body and internal organs are all unique. Follow the rules, let your body heal, and learn what's "normal" for you.

Thanks, that's really good advice because I knew that fills should occur every 8-10 weeks or so, but I should really be looking at it more in the sense of "when my hunger become uncontrollable again" rather than a time-frame.

Thank you.

That is normal. I was also fairly restricted after I started solid foods. I am now 3 months post surgery and am going for my 5th fill tonight. I always feel very restricted after a fill (or after the surgery when the band was still empty), but it loosens up after a week or so. There is nothing to be worried about. It is a slow process and there will be times when you think you must be at a full restriction level and there is no way that you could take another fill and then before you know it you find yourself eating everything you can get your hands on and call for that next fill appointment. :)

Lynda,

Don't worry about stretching your pouch. That is something that happens over time. Stretching happens when you are full but keep forcing food in. It's not something you can do by overeating one time, or by eating when you are still hungry. Don't worry. I'm sure you're fine and just ready to start the fills. I think we are both from TLBC? When is your first fill?

Amayqt,

Don't worry about post-op hunger. You will notice a DRAMATIC change in your appetite, particularly for the first month after the surgery. After you start getting your apptetite back, you will notice that it takes alot less food to make you feel full. I am not full restricted yet, and went out with the BF for dinner on Valentine's Day. I had a side dinner salad, about 3 ounces of filet mignon, and four forkfulls of mashed potatoes and felt like I used to after eating 8 plates at the chinese buffet. It is really an amazing thing!!