Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Turns out that I am crazy

:lol:OK so I finally have a surgery date- Feb. 19th. Woo-hoo!!...

Anyway, as I am waiting to see the nurse that does the actual scheduling, I look through my chart at the surgeon's office. Imagine my surprise when I get to the psych eval! Turns out, according to the health attitude survey, that I did not really know myself very well. Among other things I am:

distrustful and suspiscious of the medical system (I am an RN- ok so maybe that one is right), suffering from low self esteem, timid, passive, afraid of what others think, and unable to make appropriate health decisions. LOL!!

Now I know you all do not know me, but believe me when I tell you I am none of those things. So... beware the Health Attitude Survey!

Maybe I misunderstood the instructions- so I am stupid, not crazy. LOL:lol:

Hey, I'm all those things and I new it, so maybe that is why they let me make my own health decision..........

I had to laugh when my psych eval came back as "patient is depressed." Well, no kidding!! That skinny little shrink would be depressed, too, if she saw what I saw when I looked in the mirror!.

suffering from low self esteem, timid, passive, afraid of what others think, and unable to make appropriate health decisions.
You just described like 95% of the American population.

LOL! I think all of us RNs are distrustrustful and suspicious of the healthcare system! That makes you SANE!!!

:lol:OK so I finally have a surgery date- Feb. 19th. Woo-hoo!!...

Anyway, as I am waiting to see the nurse that does the actual scheduling, I look through my chart at the surgeon's office. Imagine my surprise when I get to the psych eval! Turns out, according to the health attitude survey, that I did not really know myself very well. Among other things I am:

distrustful and suspiscious of the medical system (I am an RN- ok so maybe that one is right), suffering from low self esteem, timid, passive, afraid of what others think, and unable to make appropriate health decisions. LOL!!

Now I know you all do not know me, but believe me when I tell you I am none of those things. So... beware the Health Attitude Survey!

Maybe I misunderstood the instructions- so I am stupid, not crazy. LOL:lol:

OMG! Clearly you are a nut-job that needs to be locked up immediately. Do not pass go... Do not collect $200... check yourself into a psych facility immediately. How in the WORLD could you not have known you were so bad off? Thank God for the INFALLIBLE pscyh test to snap you into reality!

What a load of nonsense. What a waste of time and money. Using those tests is the lazy inexpensive (but not for the patient) way to fulfill the psych requirement. Thank heavens you don't take these things seriously! :D

My psych test was really nothing. She just asked me a few questions about my feelings about the surgery and that was it. Good thing or she would have found out i am completly nuts! LOL Donna

I didn't have to do any psych eval before my surgery and have often wondered at what the process was and what it was they were looking for? It seems to me that for the majority of folks I've met on here, it is just another hoop and I've yet to hear of anyone who has been refused surgery outright because of their eval.

For years I've pondered the emotional connection to my weightloss. I just couldn't see that I ate because of emotional problems. Then recently, someone brought up the "entitlement" issue as it relates to eating...I worked hard, I'm tired, I did whatever therefore I should reward myself with food. Then the comment came, why don't I feel entitled to be healthy? Or to workout...? It rang a cord with me and that is what I believe to be my "issue".

I'm a clinical social worker...and I often wondered what I would be looking for if I were to do the evals on people pre-WLS!

I had to do the whole MMPI plus some other tests. I was sent the results, which said I couldn't stick to anything and I thought physicians were gods. What a laugh! I have been taking care of my 95 year old mother for ten years and am totally convinced most doctors don't take the time to know their posterior from a hole in the ground. I usually self diagnose using WebMD and if I go to the doctor, tell him what's wrong with me and what treatment I need. Also, I did Atkins for four stinking YEARS.

However, I also read my husband's psych eval, and I think they nailed him perfectly. :cursing:

My psychologist said that the only person he did not recommend for WLS was a bipolar drug addict whom he said would probably kill herself with WLS.

Weird, I didn't get my psych evaluation back.. they just said that I was able to get the surgery.. i wonder if I should demand them to send me the results or something...

Weird, I didn't get my psych evaluation back.. they just said that I was able to get the surgery.. i wonder if I should demand them to send me the results or something...

it should be part of your medical records, you have the right to ask for that...

good luck! :thumbup:

i hope i pass mine, i've been in the out patient program at our local nuts house for two weeks, was on anti-depression and anti-anxiety meds for like a year (haven't been since Aug). i'm probably have adult ADD 'cause i live in a constant state of chaos (or is that my two kids?) and i am a federal employee. I'm going to be a top shelf nut case!