Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Tire around the tummy problem?

After I have my surgery, I"m concerned that the stretched skin and the "apron" of fat that hangs down onto my legs will still be there? I've had 2 kiddos, my last one only 7 months ago. The doc I've seen so far, and I didn't like, said that anywhere there are stretch marks, that skin will continue to hang? Is this true? I"m my heaviest in my belly, and butt and thighs, I have that pear shape I guess? anyone have any help or had the same problem? I'm not expecting a flat tummy by any means, but it will go down right?

Unfortunately, the skin is stretched, and will not shrink again. The fat under it will---leaving less bulk, but loose skin. Rather like a balloon that has been aired up, then the air let out....smaller without a doubt, but stretched out of shape. In clothes, one would often never know....but as much as I hate it (and I DO), the truth is it will not shrink back. Other skin, such as thighs, you can fill out the skin with some muscle and they hold pretty well if they were not really big to start with. The belly seems to be the biggest issue.

It is my issue right now, I am unable to exercise like I want to---the skin gets irritated--so I am doing a day on and 2-3 off while the irritation heals. Going for my referral appointment to the PS this Friday.

Welcome to LBT----weight loss will not leave us perfect, but it will leave us healthier (for you, for your kids...) and even with the extra skin, the differences are amazing! Have you looked through the before and after Pix only thread??? What a place for inspiration!!!

Kat

If you have a hanging belly now then you'll having hanging skin later. I know, BUMMER! Most of us are in the same boat, just depends on where we carry our weight.

But I have yet to see one person that lost a lot of weight, that doesn;t look better overall, even with hanging skin.

Yes, that's true. You're going to look way better, feel way better and be way healthier, hanging skin or not.

If its already hanging, then you may as well be realistic and know that its going to continue to hang. But that CAN be fixed.

Time will help the skin come back SOME. When I plateau, I notice that even my stomach skin (full of stretch marks) does come back a little. I don't have a big apron though.

I have issues with skin already (preband) from having kids, my hubby was an 11lb baby. Our kids were pretty big for my 5'2" self. I spoke to multiple doctors and all have the same opinion. Stretched skin will stay stretched. But when you're losing weight you should do toning exercise, lay of caffine, and drink tons of Water to help increase elasticity. After a few years of that have a PS take care of the rest.

Ok, I am trying to understand, if there are no stretch marks, and good skin care (IE Lotion lotion lotion lotion!) I shouldn't have an issue with 'lots' of 'extra' skin, but in the area's I have stretch marks I will have issue with 'extra' skin.

If I am not making any sense I do apologize, I am just trying to figure the skin thing out.

TBH I am not really that concerned. I would rather have a extra skin then all this layers of fat. But I am just tryin to figure out where future problems might be. Make sense?

Unfortunately, there is no absolute answer to your question. Age, genetics, distribution of body fat, etc., all play a role in how much excess skin problems you'll have. Try asking Dr. J is the plastic surgery section who is an expert in this area.

stretch marks are basically scar tissue, so there's not a whole lot of elasticity there. My stomach skin has a lot of stretch marks, but it still has come back a decent amount. I think once I get to goal, if I wait a year or so, it'll be more "squishy" than "hanging skin" if that makes any sense.

Areas without stretch marks have a greater chance of firming up better, but it's not guaranteed or anything.

Don't put a lot of faith in Lotions, concentrate on keeping your skin healthy from the inside by taking thinks like fish oil and drinking Water and soy milk like Silk light.

Nathenag, so is a no no for me. I have to be very careful with it. I am not allergic to it per say but I do have a very interesting reaction to it. I don't think you want details :tt2: I do take a daily Vitamin and essential oils ( I am near fanatical about it).

As for lotion, I have to. I have Eczema and psoriasis so lotion is a MUST for me. My skin doc (I can never remember what they are called) says once the weight comes down my eczema and psoriasis will probably improve as my over all health improves.

But to counter your "don't put to much faith" in lotions, don't have to little faith in the ability of lotion either. Having worked in the medical field for a few years, after washing my hands hundreds of times a day, putting latex gloves on and off (UGH :mad: can we say that powder is a serious irritant?????), lotion became my best friend.

Don't put a lot of faith in Lotions, concentrate on keeping your skin healthy from the inside by taking thinks like fish oil and drinking Water and soy milk like Silk light.

How much fish oil do you suggest? I've never taken it. What about my hair.. anything to slow the losing it?

I think nathenag was talking about the lotions that promise to firm up your skin. From the people I've heard of that use them, they'll firm it up a little, but only for as long as you are using it religiously.

I'm not thrilled with my middle at all right now. I suppose if I get to the gym again, it might get a bit better.

I'm not thrilled with my middle at all right now. I suppose if I get to the gym again, it might get a bit better.

The gym won't firm up loose/hanging/stretch marked skin. And you can't target to lose fat from any specific area of your body. You can build muscle, but you can't say ok, by doing crunches I am going to burn the fat off my tummy. It just doesn't work like that (and my gosh how I wish it did!).

I have been going to the gym/running since a month after my banding in Nov 06 and my tummy is still my worst area. I am thin except for my big bloated looking belly.