Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I being impatient?

So I had my first fill on Thursday. Was on liquids for two days and soft foods today. I am allowed to start regular foods tomorrow...PLEASE tell me I will feel something tomorrow....I feel NO difference right now...actually if it's possible I have been more hungry today then I've been in two weeks. My fill was under fluoro...and I know that helps with accuracy...my doc put Fluid in...watched barium...then added more...I watched it only trickle down....but I feel nothing! I really hope it will feel different with solids!

Hi jowjow,

This may not matter, but what size band do you have and how much fill did you get? It's not surprising that you're feeling hungry since you've been on liquids for two days. Take it easy when you introduce solids. You may be surprised.

I have the larger 14 cc band. I didn't feel enough restriction until my fourth fill, which took me to 8 cc. I also have to remember that if I'm not eating the heavier Protein foods, the food isn't going to sustain me for very long.

Anne

I have a 10cc band...no clue how much he put in. Stupid me didn't ask...

I start solids today...so I'm hoping to see a difference

Sometimes it takes several fills to get restriction. Depends on a lot of things. Sometimes it takes several days for your fill to kick in also. Hang in there. Donna

It's very common to have a no-restriction feeling with only one fill. I am just coming back from having a total unfill in Dec and I've had 2 fills (third one later this week--thank God) and I feel very little restriction. I'm at 2.3 in a 4cc band. Sometimes it can take me up to a week to get feelings of restriction after a fill. I think you sound normal.

Impatient? Yeah probably....but most of us are!! I am! For all the good it does, I still am impatient, I want it NOW!

I did not acheive real restriction with my first fill---but I did notice I had it. I had to really be sure to eat by the bandster rules, small bites, slow, well chewed--or I got the pain in the chest, as it worked through. But I could still eat way too much I thought...so I had the second fill done, and it was like less than half what he gave me the first time, so I expected nothing, was WAY upset, and disappointed,. Waited my 2 days to eat....and HELLO restriction!!

I was full on 3-4 bites, I had to seriously chew to liquid consistency. I thought I was too tight, but decided as long as I could eat at all, I would ride it out a few days and see how it went. And sure enough it loosened some. I was able to eat hard Protein without pain, and yet not huge amounts.

I have never had another fill....that was over a year and a half ago---and I am just kinda coasting now. Trying to decide whether to tweak it with another little fill to get the rest of the weight off, or try to make it as is.....hmmmmmm not sure yet!!

You will get there, sometimes it takes a few fills, and it is better to sneak up on restriction, it is easier on your stomach to take it in small amounts, than to suddenly tighten it down too much, that is usually when swelling sets in it sounds like to me. Keeping in mind this is only my opinion and view of things from what I have read, and what my own Dr. has said to me. And we all know every Dr. is different in their approach to this band!!

Hang in there it WILL happen!

Kat

I don't notice much difference until I start eating food with some volume (not soft). Usually you stick to liquids then soft foods right after a fill, so that may be why you don't feel a difference. Once you can start eating normal foods you may really feel it. It also can take a week or so for a fill to be felt. The band is kind of fickle and can even vary from day to day.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I know I shouldn't complain...the scale is still moving down...I just want to keep it that way! I appreciate having all of you here!

I am not sure if this has been covered or not . But fills can take up to a week or more to "kick" in . Mine usually about 4-7 days to kick in after a fill .

So try to be patient i now its hard.

Hang in there.

Mindy

I'm one week out from my third fill and I finally have ZINGER restriction!! This one brought me to 2.5cc in a 10cc band--doesn't sound like much, but just amazing (I had really begun to think the Band was just a mental test to see how little I could eat on my own!!)

Glad you're finally feeling something, jowjow! :cursing:

My surgeon has six weeks between appointments--and I pushed the second fill up by a week. (It was the Christmas holidays and I wanted to see if I could get more restriction to help me in resistance!)

All surgeons must be different in the cc amount they put in: mine began with .5cc, the second was 1.0cc and the third was another 1.0--but I read on these threads where some surgeons will put in 4 - 5cc in a session!

I must admit, I really like my surgeon's erring on the side of caution...! :cursing:

You also have to keep in mind there are different sizes of bands, so what seems miniscule in one band, is way full in another....Some actually get filled the first time in surgery....

I don't know a lot about the different sizes---just that there ARE different ones!!

Kat

I sound exactly like the gal who started this post and I wondered, how long did you wait to schedule your second fill. I got my first, three days ago.

Thank You.

My surgeon makes you wait 2 weeks in between fills. 6 weeks sounds like a long time. I would call and ask.