Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, yup, I'm new... I have questions

I'm new to these boards and am just starting paperwork for lap-banding. I don't know how it will go with insurance approvals and what not. I'm a short girl 4'10" and weighed in on first visit at 172 BMI of 35.9. I come from a family of heavyweights. My dad had gastric bypass 5 years ago, and my baby sister is needing some medical surgery for weight loss as she's now tipping scales at about 300 lbs. I was told by a doctor, several times, that the dieting I have been doing the last five years has staved off the 250 pound girl in to the 160-170 pound girl I maintain well. I am afraid if I gain any more weight I'll balloon like my sister did. The 170's and beyond are the death trap for us.

I tried weight watchers and it never worked, only when I was down to 800 calories a day did I lose... it was sad. I have a bunch of co-morbs; probably sleep apnea as everyone else in my family has it, pre-diabetic, UBER high cholesterol (genetic - average with a good diet is 206 for me was at 265), pretty severe depression and a bad back that my orthopedic said would get better if I could lose weigh. He said about every pound we lose, it's like 5 lbs off your back... Gosh, wouldn't that be lovely?

So questions are...

Anyone else here have Railroad health benefit coverage through United Health Care?

If the 5 year history is overweight and not obese will I be denied given above co morbs? any clue?

Why doesn't insurance cover the dietician, but they cover a sleep study?

I was told that the doc I am working with has put through people under 35 bmi before... but the co morbs gotta be bad. I've also gotta find a way to lose my 10% weight as is required by my doc before I can have the surgery.... I am at a loss of how to do that minus diuretics and laxitives...

Can anyone help? I would be so grateful....

Anyone else here have Railroad health benefit coverage through United Health Care? I have UHC, but not that program.

If the 5 year history is overweight and not obese will I be denied given above co morbs? any clue? I'm not sure, but if you call your provider they can tell you the requirements for approval, including whether or not your situation would qualify. Figure out what your BMI was during that time and refer to it when speaking with them rather than "obese" or "overweight." That may help.

Why doesn't insurance cover the dietician, but they cover a sleep study? Gonna have to ask your insurance company that one, it's their choice.

I was told that the doc I am working with has put through people under 35 bmi before... but the co morbs gotta be bad. General guidelines are BMI 40+, or 35+ with 2+ comorbidities.

I've also gotta find a way to lose my 10% weight as is required by my doc before I can have the surgery.... I am at a loss of how to do that minus diuretics and laxitives... How about cutting back calories? Easier to do when it's "temproary." How much are you overweight -- what is 10% going to be? If you're desperate (e.g. 10% is a lot) try the induction phase of the Atkins diet. I couldn't recommend it long-term, nor do I think adherence would be likely, but for short term quick weightloss it's hard to beat.

Not real good advice but I have seen it on here alot. Where ankel weights to the first apt then when you take them off at the next apt you will have lost the weight. Now I did not do this but I have heard that litterly like 30% of the people have done some type of tricking the scales. Now I did wear a few layers of clothing and my heaviest shoes.

Thanks for the responses. It's nice to have a network like this to rely on for real answers.

I'm just afraid of a lot right now, and dying young is one of them... but mostly being denied for my insurance to pay and for my heart not to be able to hold up for surgery.

Calorie reduction kind of sucks for me when it comes to losing, I think if I have an okay from the insurance, I'll get on the bandwagon or whatever to get the weight off... for good, but I don't want to yo-y anymore. I've lost a lot of hair, sleep, and respect for myself for not being able to stick to a lifestyle.

I did the South Beach diet and did okay, now that I'm a vegetarian and have been for 4 months, it's getting hard to try to tell myself to eat meat again, but I realize I will have to to keep the lifestyle plan with the lap band.

*sigh*

What a long road, glad to know I don't walk alone....

Being a vegetarian while banded is entirely possible, we have several vegetarians. Many surgeons don't share the emphasis on Protein. Several of our non-US bandsters have had no emphasis put in protein. Protein is good and all, IMO mostly because Proteins keep most ppl fuller longer (banded or not)... and for the obviuos dietary reasons, but food groups are equally important. Many bandsters don't follow a specififed diet lifestyle (me included) -- it's living a regular life, just eating less quantity.

I'm vegetarian pretty much because my urologist said to be in order to stop kidney stones from forming, but it's not necessary, I'm just hoping that this will all fit together.

My doc today said she thinks my insurance will deny me because I am so small and on the very light end of things... but we shall see.