Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hope to be banster soon

Hi, I've been reading posts on this site for a couple months now, and have decided it time for me to join and introduce myself. After a final dietitian appointment this week, my request for surgery will be submitted to insurance. With a BMI >50, and plenty of co-morbidities (type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, hyptertension) I meet all the requirements. I'm hoping for surgery by the end of this month or early March. Haven't yet had my appointment with my surgeon - that will be the last step before surgery, but I've been to the dietitian and psychologist and gotten all the preliminary records, etc.

Like many others who have posted here, I have been considering this for over a year. At first I didn't think I could adjust my life style to being a bandster - I LIKE to eat. However, learning more about the band or other options has helped me realize I CAN do this. When I made the decision to have a band back in late November, I actually started dreaming of what life would be like without carrying around so much excess weight -- and hope started to sneak back in. I had given up on myself and dieting. Each time I had lost weight previously, I quickly gained it back plus more. I grew up obese, but had a brief period of time in my 20's where I actually reached my goal weight. However, it's been a steady increase for the past 30 years to where I am now. Because it would take so long to get to a healthy weight, I just knew from my past history I could never do it on my own anymore.

However, now I am dreaming of buying clothes in STORES instead of mail order women's extended sizes. While I have to say that people I work with are generally gracious, I do sense that many times I am 'overlooked' and not taken seriously because of my weight. How would it be not to have that barrier? To have energy to garden again (you have to be able to bend over and not topple over!.) To be able to get on a horse? Sit on any chair without worrying it will break? (yes, this HAS happened to me...very embarassing!)

Can it really happen? Can I really loose this much weight? Reading the posts you all share has helped me believe that it CAN HAPPEN TO ME. Yes, it will still be hard work and major life style changes -- but if I'm not hungry all the time -- I think I can do this.

Thanks in advance for all the support you have shared. Thanks for the questions you have answered already.

Hi Lizalee:

Congrats on your decision and your "stick to it ness". It is tough to go through all the hoops. I'm a little behind you and hope to be banded in April.

Yes, you can do it. Keep your dreams close when things get tough. I think that is what helps folks get through.

Wow, so much of what you said is how I feel EXACTLY. Especially about buying the clothes in a regular store. I, too, mail order mine. One of my short term goals is to get to size 1X because the price always goes up at 2X and higher. I have refused to buy more clothes because I have so many in a size smaller. I am quite sick and tired of my clothes right now, and I'm sure my coworkers are as well. Luckily even just going through the preliminaries as I am now, I've started to lose. I've a ways to go to fit into that 2X wardrobe I have, but it's going to be this year. On New Year's Day I told my daughter I can feel it--this is MY year, this is the year I'm going to change my life. I find out in 2 days if my next appointment is with the surgeon. (or back to the psychologist) Once I see the surgeon it's going to seem VERY real.

I agree...if I ever get to see my surgeon, and get a date, it will seem real. Did you see yours?

I saw the dietitian today for my last visit...I thought. Now, wait a week till my case is 'staffed' before they send in to insurance. Then wait another week or more for the insurance company to approve (they say mine gets back to the very quick.) Then another week before the surgeon's office calls to set up an appointment! Then who knows how long before I can get in, then have to have a pre-op testing apointment, and then back to the dietitian for pre-op teaching, and then back to the surgeon for h&p...and then, if I LIVE that long, SURGERY!

I know that these steps are important for long term success...but it sure seems like it's taking forever. I know I shouldn't complain - some folks here have had 6 - 12 months to get to the point where I'm at...but, as I'm sure you know, once you finally make the decision, you just want to get it done!

I haven't heard yet who I see next. I was told 2 days and it's been 4--but who's counting. I I'm struggling more the longer I go without seeing someone there. I better email the dietician to keep in touch, it really helps.

I really identify with your "can I really do it?" I've been trying to do weight watchers for a couple of years, but how many people at those meetings have lost 150 pounds--and kept it off. The answer is NO ONE! The few lifetime members I would meet were often over 200 pounds, meaning they had it off and did NOT keep it off. They have a saying on the wall "If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got". Well, as far as Weight Watchers is concerned, all I get is temporary weight loss and then rebound, so it's time for something else. I, too, thought I could not eat the way the lapband requires, but I kept reading these postings and thinking about how badly I want to lose the weight, and decided I was willing to make big changes--to get big changes. Yes, even giving up bread.

I'm in somewhat of a hurry. I have 2 insurance companies covering me. One is good, and one is the worst they've ever dealt with (my primary, of course) The biggest problem they have is if there is too much time between starting this process and actually having the surgery they try to deny the original claims saying they can't be related because they are too far apart. I thought if I hussle I might keep that from happening. And at my first nurse visit she said "8-12 weeks". That was about 3 weeks ago, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. There are so many things that can cause a delay. I really do expect the psychologist to want to see me again. One concern she had was lack of my husband's support. He's not unsupportive exactly, just sort of neutral. We haven't even talked much about it. I'm sure it all sounded very strange to her for a married couple to not communicate. But we get along better that way. So I'm thinking she might want to see us together. I finally asked him if he would be willing to do that, and he said yes. So while it might take more time, I'm sure I'll get there.

linesj,

You sound like ME writing this post. My thoughts exactly. And even down to the not communicating much w/ husband - because you get along better that way. Oh my, very true! While fortunately for me, my husband is supportive, we talk very little about it. (And generally, the less we talk, the better we get along -- some relationships are like that!) While he is supportive of my doing this -- he (and my daughters) also wants food in the house like chips, sweets, etc...so I can do this, but will still need to have the stuff around, which is hard. Which is why I need the band!

Re: weight watchers. A bunch of women from my office have joined weight watchers, and all they talk about is how many points for this, how many points for that - - actually, it drives me nuts. And they've all done this before. Yes, they will loose a little weight, but will it stiay off forever? Probably not, since they've all done this before.

I, like you, have come to realize that restrictive surgery will be my tool because it will hep me make those life-long changes. I can't just decide one day to eat tons of food if it won't fit anymore! It will help me stick to the food plan long-term, not just for a few months before I give up.

At least that's what I'm hoping for...

Good luck getting your approval!