Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Combining surgeries question.

Now, I know a lot of surgeons will combine several surgeries and perform them during the same operating period, and that usually saves the patient money. How many will they usually do at one time, though? I mean, I know I'll need at least a Tummy Tuck or lower body lift and a breast lift. I'm thinking I might need an augmentation, too, if the breast lift reduces my size significantly (I'm currently a sagging D). I've also recently started noticing the sagginess of my arms, which means I might need an arm lift if it gets much worse. Would most surgeons be willing to combine all of those procedures into one operating period, or would I probably be looking at at least two surgeries? I'd guess a lot of that depends on if I go for the TT or the LBL, right? Since the LBL is a lot more involved?

I have a feeling that it depends on how long each procedure takes, I think that for an elective surgery the longest that they want you to be under is 4-6 hours, I know that is my PS's comfort zone. Then it would come down to how long each operation takes, which is very individual to each surgeon.

I am having a FTT and a LOT of Lipo (at least 5 litres) from a lot of places, he is lipoing the whole of the top half of my legs,fronts, back, inner thighs and outer, lovehandles and saddlebags hes even doing my knees!!( trust me that is a shed load of lard) then he is doing a high tension Tummy Tuck - lots of internal stitching- and he reckons that those 2 procedures will take anywhere from 4-6 hours. He told me that a good breast lift with under muscle implant takes 1.5-2.5 hours.

I think though I cant be sure that when he does a LBL it takes at least 4 hours maybe 6 depending on what they come across.

I dont know how long the arm lift would take, but I have to say that since I started pumping my weights again, doing a lot of low weight high rep sets on my arms they have improved massively!!

Why dont you ask a few PS's what they will do all at once and then how long they think each procedure will take?

Worst case senario you have got a LBL 4-6, BL/BA 1.5-2.5, arm lift I dunno say 2-4 hours??? So that is anywhere between 7.5 and 12.5 hours depending on how fast they operate.

If I were you I would go for the LBL and the puppies if I had to choose!!

I wanted TT, lipo and BL/BA, but becuase I am still a fat knacker there is too much lipo to do, so given the choice I went for sorting out the bottom half this time and in May going back to sort the top!! I didnt want a situation where he was rushing to get everything done cos he didnt want me under for too long and neither did he.

Thats partly why I am concentrating on core muscles and upper body when I work out at the moment, I want to give him as good a shape as possible to drape the tummy over, and I didnt want too much disproportion between my top and bottom halves!!

I havent really helped have I??!!! LOL

Just think about which bit is most important to YOU, for me it was the chance to have a decent set of legs ( never ever liked my legs) and a flat tummy, but you may be focused in a diferent area!

Love

Nina x

In my opinion, a body lift is an entire operation in itself. I had a counsult with one ps who wouldn't combine the TT and breast redu/lift, yet he would do the breast along with some eye work. Yet, the other three had no problems doing the TT/breast work together.

I think it's so very important you have the support and help you need when you get home, but NOT to the point you don't get up and move around. I truly believe that is what helped me heal and do so well, was my hubby insisted I move around at least every hour, (when not sleeping), to avoid blood clots. If I kept my knees bent too much or sat on my feet, which I love to do, he'd remind me to straighten them out.

I don't want to scare anyone, but almost a year ago to the date of my surgery, a friend of a friend died from a blood clot, because she refused to get out of bed, other than to go potty, and her family knowing she was in pain, got everything for her. Her family admitted they should have insisted she move around more, she was my inspiration to keep moving, may she rest in peace.

I have a feeling that it depends on how long each procedure takes, I think that for an elective surgery the longest that they want you to be under is 4-6 hours, I know that is my PS's comfort zone. Then it would come down to how long each operation takes, which is very individual to each surgeon.

I am having a FTT and a LOT of Lipo (at least 5 litres) from a lot of places, he is lipoing the whole of the top half of my legs,fronts, back, inner thighs and outer, lovehandles and saddlebags hes even doing my knees!!( trust me that is a shed load of lard) then he is doing a high tension Tummy Tuck - lots of internal stitching- and he reckons that those 2 procedures will take anywhere from 4-6 hours. He told me that a good breast lift with under muscle implant takes 1.5-2.5 hours.

I think though I cant be sure that when he does a LBL it takes at least 4 hours maybe 6 depending on what they come across.

I dont know how long the arm lift would take, but I have to say that since I started pumping my weights again, doing a lot of low weight high rep sets on my arms they have improved massively!!

Why dont you ask a few PS's what they will do all at once and then how long they think each procedure will take?

Worst case senario you have got a LBL 4-6, BL/BA 1.5-2.5, arm lift I dunno say 2-4 hours??? So that is anywhere between 7.5 and 12.5 hours depending on how fast they operate.

If I were you I would go for the LBL and the puppies if I had to choose!!

I wanted TT, lipo and BL/BA, but becuase I am still a fat knacker there is too much lipo to do, so given the choice I went for sorting out the bottom half this time and in May going back to sort the top!! I didnt want a situation where he was rushing to get everything done cos he didnt want me under for too long and neither did he.

Thats partly why I am concentrating on core muscles and upper body when I work out at the moment, I want to give him as good a shape as possible to drape the tummy over, and I didnt want too much disproportion between my top and bottom halves!!

I havent really helped have I??!!! LOL

Just think about which bit is most important to YOU, for me it was the chance to have a decent set of legs ( never ever liked my legs) and a flat tummy, but you may be focused in a diferent area!

Love

Nina x

No, that actually helps a lot! I figured it was basically an individual thing, but it didn't hurt to ask! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't need an LBL. Unless the last 50 pounds comes straight off my back and ass, I don't have too much sagging back there. Most of it is around my stomach, boobs, and arms, so I think I could get away with just an ETT at the most.

What I'm seriously considering doing is having a TT and BL at one time, if the surgeon is willing, and then going back and having a BA and arm lift, since I'm not 100% sure I want the BA in the first place. That way, I've got the time to let the puppies heal and see if I will actually want the BA.

In my opinion, a body lift is an entire operation in itself. I had a counsult with one ps who wouldn't combine the TT and breast redu/lift, yet he would do the breast along with some eye work. Yet, the other three had no problems doing the TT/breast work together.

I think it's so very important you have the support and help you need when you get home, but NOT to the point you don't get up and move around. I truly believe that is what helped me heal and do so well, was my hubby insisted I move around at least every hour, (when not sleeping), to avoid blood clots. If I kept my knees bent too much or sat on my feet, which I love to do, he'd remind me to straighten them out.

I don't want to scare anyone, but almost a year ago to the date of my surgery, a friend of a friend died from a blood clot, because she refused to get out of bed, other than to go potty, and her family knowing she was in pain, got everything for her. Her family admitted they should have insisted she move around more, she was my inspiration to keep moving, may she rest in peace.

That's scary! Luckily, I'd probably have my mom around to take care of me (either that or I'd stay with my brother and SIL). If I stay with my parents, my mom doesn't get around that well (she's had both knees replaced), so I have a feeling I'd still be doing quite a bit myself.

When you had your TT, how easy was it to move around? The only thing I'm really concerned about is stairs. If I stay with my brother and SIL, I'd probably have to be able to get up the stairs to the guest room on the second floor. It's equiped with a bathroom and all, so I wouldn't really have to come down for several days, but I'm just concerned about getting up the stairs in the first place.