Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I figured it out

So I have been having troubles taking a deep breath. My stomach doesn't hurt or nor does my incisions but I think its because I can't BURP!! I feel like I have to and when it starts to come, it hurts. I am drinking slowly but how do I get rid of that Gassy feeling? I am going to the mall tomorrow to walk....walk....and walk. I need to get out and get some exercise. Is anyone else having the problems of not burping?

I've read other posts that say to use a heating pad on your belly to move the gas allow. I'm getting banded on Monday and I have my heating pad ready and waiting. Good luck with it!

Hey thanks!! I am glad to know that someone is right behind me. I am still sore but this burping thing sucks!! I just want to belch or excuse me on this one.........Just fart a lot of air!!! I am going to go and walk the mall tomorrow to help things along. How is the diet going? Before surgery before I went under, I was 253. Now I am 251 exactly. Keep me posted

I was banded on 1/22/08 and had SOOOOOO many problems with gas. I did walk alot but it didn't seem to help much. I went a full week with nothing but Water. The bloated feeling wouldn't go away and when I did burp it didn't seem to help. I found that when I would go to bed at night is when the gas would come out the southern regions (if you know what i mean) :-) Getting better every day. you will too. I have lost 29 lbs since banding. It's my only consolation for the yucky feeling.

When I breathe deeply, it hurts on the tops and front of my shoulders/clavical. I wonder if that's gas, too??? maybe from the CO2 used to pump up the torso??

That's exactly what it is. My doctor was very specific about the pain in my back, cervical, and shoulder region being gas. I was just banded this week and the gas is killing me.

Oh good because its getting better but it hurt to take a deep breath and behind in my back and what not. I am doing much better and burping good now and feeling so much better

Oooooh, Izzy, tell your doc thanks for solving the mystery pain in my clavical and rhomboids. LOL I really wondered what the heck they did to my shoulders during surgery! Guess gas goes aaaaall over the body. I started using the Gas X strips and walking around the house (need to be near the potty). Read somewhere in here that it takes anywhere from 2 days-2 weeks for the gas to escape from our bodies back to the Universe. :)

GAS-X STRIPS WORK!! If all else fails, do some very gentle knee bends and small stomach crunches. And, believe it or not, sit on the toilet and have a nice bottle of bubbles. Blowing bubbles uses the same muscles that cause you to release gas (and have a BM, thus the toilet). Usually helps! (I'm a spec ed teacher and have had to use this technique w/ kiddos at school... and w/ myself after surgery!!!!) Enjoy!

I agree. Gas-X has helped me! I read that a lot said it didn't help them but it's been a great help to me. I also have the heating pad on my tummy whenever I'm laying around (after walking around and getting tired) and I have had very little gas pain.

I can also relate to the gas pains and the inability to burp. It just rumbles in the top of my stomach and then hurts terribly for a second or two. The last few days have been better with the air actually escaping, but the pain is still there with it. I also get a pain in my left side around my ribs, usually when I breathe in deeply.

Thankfully, I'm noticing all the pains are easing as the days go by (I'm only day 6).

Some of the gas pain can be from the gas they use (if you had a laproscopic surgery) to inflate your abdomen. I met with a pre-op nurse about a week before my surgery and she told me they pump up your abdomen with CO2 so they can see for the procedure. They try to remove all of it, but sometimes they can't get it and you will feel pain in your shoulder because it presses on nerve. I had some pain in my left shoulder which I attributed to this. A heating pad did help a little. Getting up and walking around helps too as there is more surface area to absorb the gas. Unfortunately this type gas can't be eliminated in the usual ways!