Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new here with questions...

I am going to talk to my pcp next week about backing me up for the lapband proceedure. I am 5' 4" and 225 lbs.(BMI of 36.5) I have foot and knee problems and high cholestrol. I have struggled with my weight for almost 12 years. (i'm 27) I have a daughter born 6-20-01 and would like to be healthy and have the energy to run and play with her. I have tried just about everything to lose the weight but can't. A friend had gastric by-pass and suggested the lapband to me. I did some research and it seems like just what I am looking for. My question is should I go to the pcp or just seek out a surgen on my own? I have BCBS PPO and it is a really good policy, as my dh works for the railraod and his union has great benefits. If I go straight for the surgeon what do I bring to the first visit? How hard is it to get this approved? I have a letter from my podiatrist and the orthopedic doctor both stating that permanent weight loss would benefit my ability to be more moblie comfortably. Will I need more than that? I also have the test results for my cholestrol and can get the last 2 or 3 years of weight records. Does it sound like I am prepared enough? Or do I need more? Thanks for the help~Mandy

Sounds like you have everything that you need. If your policy is a "referral" type of insurance, than go to your PCP first. He could get the ball rolling and atleast refer you to a surgeon. I have heard BCBS is one of the best for approval. I have oxford. No real health issues and weigh 204 @ less than 5 feet tall. I was approved in a week. My BMI was just under 39. Hey, you never know. Good luck to you.

Hi, Mandy, you're wise to prepare yourself before you go in. You can contact your benefits coordinator at your husband's job to see if WLS is covered under your particular insurance plan. Be sure and specify the Adjustable Lapband, not Gastric Bypass Surgery. If you'd like to go to my surgeon's website, www.lap-surgery.net , he has a 5 page "pre-op questionnaire" that lists a lot of things you may not think of...like different weight loss plans that you've followed, different health problems, family health history, surgery history, social history, etc.

There is lots of information here to help you learn about the lapband. Just do a "search". Best of luck to you.

Hi Mandy, I agree with Marie.

First thing you need to do is contact your insurance comp an see if they cover WLS. Thats the BIG question.

If so, they should give you specifics on what is needed to gain approval. Each insurance company has different qualifications.

Good luck :)