Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before and After Pics

what makes you think only fat people manipulate the camera to their advantage.

Your words, not mine. I never even alluded to this. If you're going to attempt to shoot me down, please at least have the courtesy of quoting or paraphrasing me correctly.

Trixie, I look at it from a different point of view. When I look at the "after" pictures, I don't just see lost weight; I also see a gain in self esteem. Why wouldn't we want to see ourselves in the best possible light? That's what we are all striving for; that and better health!

People feel prouder about their appearance. Instead of hunched shoulders, slumping posture, and downturned heads-you see happier poses. Poses like "normal" people use when their pictures are taken. Because let's face it, "normal" people pose themselves so that their most flattering features are highlighted. (Whether they do it conciously or not.) I'm sure with your photography background, you saw that all the time.

I'm glad that you have success with using, for want of a name, "unposed photography". But remember that there isn't only one right way.

Okay, no need for harsh words, this forum is for sharing ideas & opinions. We are all NEVER going to agree on everything, diversity is a great thing . . . that's my .02 cents worth.

Trixie, you're right. I stand corrected. I guess I could use a little of my own advise. It's always been my intention to just deal with my own issues. Nobody likes to be shot down. Keep posting!

And no, I am not an attention whore. I was merely stating my opinion, which I believed I could safely do in Rants and Raves.

You most certainly have the right to express your opinion, just as we have the right to disagree with it.

Maybe I should also mention that I have a background in photography, so my eye is trained to scrutinize photographs.

I'm really trying to understand where you are coming from, but I don't. I don't know what kind of background in photography you have, but I would think that anyone in the photography business should know that when people go to a professional photographer to take pictures, they want them to look the best that they possibly can. I've had professional pictures taken before, and the photographers have always tried different angles to get the best picture. I don't think anyone would want to pay for pictures that are unflattering, just as no one would want to post pictures that are unflattering. What's the difference?

My best friend is a photographer. She tells me to do the "turtle" - stick your chin out to make your other chin(s) disappear. I know I can look 50 pounds different just from a different way I angle a picture. It's actually quite frustrating. I don't really know what I look like! Sorry, was that changing the subject? Oops

but when I take my pic, I'm sometimes higher/lower, depending on where I can put the camera. I'm the one in the family that takes the pics... but I notice I'm always sticking out my neck. But, I'v been doing that since I was in grade school. I hate the double chin looking back at me.

It's not so much trickerery, but just a habit from being fat forever, and having to rely on my best angle judgement when taking my own picture. If my daughter is taking the pic, then God help me - I know it won't be flattering from that angle! :frown:

haha, i got same story, no one takes pictures but me, and i always taking picture over my head, i guess because i silly and think if person seeing pic can't see camera, maybe they be fooled and think I not lonely tard taking pictures of myself in the bathroom mirror in the middle of the night.

I'm really trying to understand where you are coming from, but I don't. I don't know what kind of background in photography you have, but I would think that anyone in the photography business should know that when people go to a professional photographer to take pictures, they want them to look the best that they possibly can. I've had professional pictures taken before, and the photographers have always tried different angles to get the best picture. I don't think anyone would want to pay for pictures that are unflattering, just as no one would want to post pictures that are unflattering. What's the difference?

You're thinking of studio photography or wedding photography. Of course when you PAY someone to take a photograph, you want them to make you look your best. That is their job. However, when you approach photography from the documentary vantage (which before and after, or during pics are..."This is me then," "This is me now." "This is a TRUE measure of my success."), an integral product is what one strives for; something as close to the real thing as possible, as it happens.

Next time a Jenny Craig commercial with Valerie Bertinelli comes on, or any weight loss program's commercial for that matter, look at how her body position is different. In the before her legs are spread and the perspective is more direct. In the "after" her body is skewed with one leg bent in towards the other. Now do you believe that she is giving an honest impression of her weight loss? NO! She is doing it to SELL a product. I don't know about you, but I happen to distrust most people who try to sell me something using false imagery, which is exactly what one is doing when they post a true picture of themselves next to one where they stick their neck out and have the camera positioned over their head.

And BTW, I'm not blasting all before and after pics. I am merely discussing the random few that make me say, "Give me a break. Who are you trying to kid?" It just annoys me when I see pics like that in a forum that was set up for healing, honesty, and educational purposes. I don't believe that these people are giving an honest impression of the power of the band with these pictures. They are cheapening it (and giving false hope) by pulling the same malarkey that weight loss businesses do to sucker people in.

WOW! Have you ever thought that you are the ONLY one with the real issue?? I also can't believe you posted this. I guess you were in the need for some attention and can't get it any other way???

nooooooo.... really??? :frown::rolleyes:

btw, BBK, you look stunning!

You're thinking of studio photography or wedding photography. Of course when you PAY someone to take a photograph, you want them to make you look your best. That is their job. However, when you approach photography from the documentary vantage (which before and after, or during pics are..."This is me then," "This is me now." "This is a TRUE measure of my success."), an integral product is what one strives for; something as close to the real thing as possible, as it happens.

Next time a Jenny Craig commercial with Valerie Bertinelli comes on, or any weight loss program's commercial for that matter, look at how her body position is different. In the before her legs are spread and the perspective is more direct. In the "after" her body is skewed with one leg bent in towards the other. Now do you believe that she is giving an honest impression of her weight loss? NO! She is doing it to SELL a product. I don't know about you, but I happen to distrust most people who try to sell me something using false imagery, which is exactly what one is doing when they post a true picture of themselves next to one where they stick their neck out and have the camera positioned over their head.

And BTW, I'm not blasting all before and after pics. I am merely discussing the random few that make me say, "Give me a break. Who are you trying to kid?" It just annoys me when I see pics like that in a forum that was set up for healing, honesty, and educational purposes. I don't believe that these people are giving an honest impression of the power of the band with these pictures. They are cheapening it (and giving false hope) by pulling the same malarkey that weight loss businesses do to sucker people in.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one! I think ALL the before and after pics are awesome, no matter how their neck is positioned. It seems to me like it's a problem YOU have. If it bothers you so much, maybe you shouldn't look at them.

Hmm, false hope, powerless band? Look at my ticker. That's the testimonial, not the random position of my head in the rare photos taken of me.

I think before and after pictures are as much cathartic for the poster as they are informational and/or inspirational for the viewers. I don't think that posters "owe" (for lack of a better word) anything, including accuracy. If a highly flattering picture is what it takes for someone to feel comfortable with that catharsis, that's fine by me. I would rather see someone reach the point that they're comfortable sharing pictures with the caveat that the pictures are flattering, than have them remain insecure and withdrawn and not willing to share. I know what 50 lbs lost looks like, and if you look like you lost way more than 50 lbs, so be it. At least you had the courage to post *something*, while so many others can't yet find that comfort. I've seen a ton of before/afters that were obviously photoshopped. It doesn't make me mad. I figure - if that's what they need to do to feel comfortable sharing, let them do it and have their moment.

WOW! Have you ever thought that you are the ONLY one with the real issue?? I also can't believe you posted this. I guess you were in the need for some attention and can't get it any other way???

Do you consider all people to be seeking attention when they post a thread stating something that you disagree with?

Obviously I have issues. We all do. How else could we all become heifers?