Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good News the Gym is starting to empty out

Well January is about to end and the good news is the gym is starting to slow down. The new years resolution folks are already starting to get discouraged because altough they have been working out 3 times a week since Jan 4th (Really they only missed 3 maybe 4 times max) they have only lost 5-10 lbs.

The treadmills are open again and I don't have to help nearly as many skinny people with the weight machines. I had one lady insist she was fime she just couldn't get the barbell off her chest. Even better I have had two different ladies wink at me but I'm guessing that they are part of the "Gotta find me a man in 2008" crew.

So here's a toast to all those who stick with it from the fat guy who has been going to the gym at least 4 times a week for 2 years.

Cheers

TommmyO

Amen to that. I can finally get a parking spot when I roll up in there in the evening. That was the most frustrating part for me.

Holy crap, no kidding! I can't believe how far out I have to park in the evenings right now. It amazes me how many people think that they can go in, do maybe 20 minutes of cardio, then lift for 30 minutes (most of which they are socializing with others) and lose weight.

I have NEVER done a New Years resolution to lose weight. Why? Because you don't accomplish anything. If that is your reason to hit the gym, you're going to quit in 1 1/2 mos. TOPS!

Not being rude or anything, but I hate it when someone gets on a machine or bench and sits there between sets doing nothing or talking. Let others work in so they can get the F out..

Oh well, I'm done and off my soapbox. Thanks. Needed that:biggrin:

I actually had a disagreement at the gym one day with another member. He refused to leave the machine between sets so I told him that the proper etiquete was to let others use the piece of equipment between sets. He got quite agitated because he felt that changing his routine would have a negative impact on his workout. I explained that if he did not move away from the piece of equipment, so I could do my set I would have a negative impact on his nose. That worked :frown: :frown: :eek:

great thread tommy...

how about the people who work out on 2 machines back and forth and dont want you to take one in between? i feel like chewing on glass when that happens.

i find the fancier gyms worse at proper "etiquette" (spelling?)

i used to go to a down and dirty gym called , "pumping iron" in NYC (it was actually quite clean) but a real weight gym...not fancy and it was one of the best experiences i ever had in terms of people being "gym polite"

great thread tommy...

how about the people who work out on 2 machines back and forth and dont want you to take one in between? i feel like chewing on glass when that happens.

i find the fancier gyms worse at proper "etiquette" (spelling?)

i used to go to a down and dirty gym called , "pumping iron" in NYC (it was actually quite clean) but a real weight gym...not fancy and it was one of the best experiences i ever had in terms of people being "gym polite"

Yeah, you go to a "real gym" and the people there know how to act. While I do get annoyed when I'm in the middle of my circuit, I do not go overboard. If they look as if they are actually using it to lift instead of as a towel rack, I'll just go to the next exercise and come back at the end of the cycle. I just tend to get a little on edge when working out. Kind of sounds like Tommy is the same way.:frown:

I hate it when someone gets on a machine or bench and sits there between sets doing nothing or talking. Let others work in so they can get the F out..

Just curious, do you *ask* if you can work in between sets? I usually sit at the equipment, if I'm resting between sets, but I don't mind *at all* if someone wants to work in. But, I shouldn't have to ask the frustrated-looking dude, "Hey, do you want to work in?" For all I know, he's pissy about something totally different. I'm not a mind reader.

Tami

Just curious, do you *ask* if you can work in between sets? I usually sit at the equipment, if I'm resting between sets, but I don't mind *at all* if someone wants to work in. But, I shouldn't have to ask the frustrated-looking dude, "Hey, do you want to work in?" For all I know, he's pissy about something totally different. I'm not a mind reader.

Tami

Yes, I will "ask" to be let in. Like I said, I get a little on "edge" when I am working out and irritable. Most people do not have a problem with it. And, also as I stated, I am open to going on to the next exercise and come back. If the person is actually using it, that is not where my problem lies. It is when someone sits on the machine for 5 minutes between very light sets and talks with someone else that I really get annoyed.

I know, I know, I sound like a gym "snob". But, I've been lifting for over 20 yrs and I tend to get a little annoyed with people that are there to be seen and not better themselves. That's just me. And I know I'm not alone there.

I have been going at least four times a week for two years or more also. I also love to hike. I too will be glad when all the newbies give up and go home. They are invading my space. LOL Donna