Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Had surgery outside of USA & Canada

I would like to hear from anyone who had surgery outside of the USA or Canada. I am Canadian and as this is regarded as cosmetic, we must pay for it ourselves. The cost is @ $16,000

I am hearing it is much less in Mexico & Panama. What have others paid--where have they had it done --Mexcio, Europe Asutrailia etc....and their thoughts and comments.

I am hoping if I go ahead--if there is a savings I can spend some of it on a holiday too:)--a holiday where ever I get it done.

Thank you

One of the most important things you have to consider if you go elsewhere for surgery, is aftercare.

Certainly you can save money initially by going to Mexico, but then you would have to travel back to Mexico for your fills..... unless you were able to find someone here to do them. But, finding that will prove to be very difficult.

I was banded in April at TLBC - and have been back to them 9 times for fills (including one defill) so far. I anticipate going back for another tweek in the next few weeks.

Right on Alex R. After care is vital. I know as I live out in BC. No fill nurse or doctor will do fills for other clinic's patients. As a favor to my surgeon, a local surgeon is now taking care of me but I was in a real panic. Also, don't forget there are side affects you could experience such as erosion, slippage, flipped port, stuck food. You need to get to get a fluro or defill quickly. How quick could you get to Mexico? Some Colleges of P&S are dithering on whether or not GPs should do fills as a result, many GPs are declining to do the fills. So think twice no three times before going out of the Country just to save a few "bob".

Doddie

I'm not sure what province you are from but lap-band is most definitely not considered cosmetic surgery in Ontario. It is jsut not a WLS that is covered by OHIP. I paid $16k over 2 years ago and I'm happy that I had it done in my own country.

You might get it cheaper elsehwere but the aftercare might end up costing you more than having it in Canada when you add up all the extras you might incur to travel back and forth to get fills/defills. And heaven forbid if you get a slipped band, you would have to go back to Mexico or overseas or whatever country to have it done.

As Doddie knows first hand, it's tough to even get a fill doctor to do your fills when you have been banded in Canada. Then there are doctors trained to do fills but they only do them for the clinic that has trained them. Do lots of research and find a fill doctor locally if you can and if you really want to go out of country to save money then I'm sure the surgery itself will not be a problem. The surgeons in Australia, Belgium and Mexico have been banding far longer than US or Canadian surgeons so surgically they are very experienced. It's the after care that is the MOST important aspect of banding. Your band will be of no use to you if you can't get the follow up that we sometimes need over and over again.

I've only had 6 fills in 26 months but some people have that many fills in 4 months. You just never know how many you will require but you want to have access to them when you need them.

I'm not against out of country surgery but it scared me that I couldn't find a doctor willing to do my aftercare within my own country. That was my decision to spend the extra money and stay right here.

Good luck in your decision making.

If you plan a holiday, make sure you have your fun before surgery. Afterwards, you may be too tired to sightsee. That being said, also make sure about your aftercare as others have mentioned. I had my procedure in Tijuana, Mexico, but I live in the San Diego area, so it takes me 20-30 minutes to get to my doctor's office. I know many people fly in for fills, but in case of emergency or complication, it is nice to have someone nearby. Sometimes, I dread going across the border because while it is fast to get into Mexico, the border wait to get back into the US is usually an hour or more. I paid $8500. Best of luck in your search for a surgeon!

I would like to hear from anyone who had surgery outside of the USA or Canada. I am Canadian and as this is regarded as cosmetic, we must pay for it ourselves. The cost is @ $16,000

I am hearing it is much less in Mexico & Panama. What have others paid--where have they had it done --Mexcio, Europe Asutrailia etc....and their thoughts and comments.

I am hoping if I go ahead--if there is a savings I can spend some of it on a holiday too:)--a holiday where ever I get it done.

Thank you

Hi Mychael, I haven’t had surgery yet but I will be going to TJ Mexico to Dr Kuri in the near future. I had planned on going to T.O but, the cost and experience my surgeon has made mr decide Mexico was the best choice for me. I'm paying 8500.00 and that covers everything accept my flight from Alberta. I already have a Dr here to do follow up and fills. Do a search on all of the band forums you can find on the DR in your area. Mine does fills Tues and Thurs and if you have any serious problems I'm to go to the hospital and give his name and he will come there to see me. I also found that travelling to Mexico if I need to see my surgeon is the same cost as going back to TO. He offers the same guarantee. Do your research ahead of time and I sure it will be fine. AS for the goverment chipping in, I know of several people who got back between 1000.00 and 1800.00 on their taxes for medical expenses. Its not much but atleast its something./font]

Good Luck, ANNG

I too am considering surgery outside of Canada and would like to hear others thoughts. I am in BC and we have a Dr.Lueng here but I am not comfortable with him --- the cost is also a factor. I am considering Mexico or Washington? Thoughts ??? Experiances???

Hi Katrinaulud: Dr. R. Woodhead in Delta/Ladner. I go to him for my fills. He is young but I really like him. He is obese like you and so knows how we feel. Also, last November he went over to France and took additional training in the French Midband. I have this band and find it very comfortable. He also was trained by Dr. Yau, my surgeon. If you used him, he will be doing your fills and you won't have to go out of Province. You could at least have a chat with him. If you go for a formal consult, I think he charges but you could ask him simple questions or his assistant. She is not bad to talk too if she isn't rushed. Doddie

I live in Calgary and was banded by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. It was a great experience for me. I have now lost 65 pounds, and although it has been slower than what I wanted, I can not complain about now being considered just overweight as opposed to morbidly obese.

I chose Mexico because it is much closer in proximity to me than Toronto and because I had a surgeon lined up here to do after care. I knew that if there were any problems following surgery, the surgeons here could look after me. They are limited in the number of lapband surgeries they can do, but the aftercare is provided privately, meaning that we pay for each fill. If we needed to have a revision or replacement surgery, it would then be covered by Alberta Health Care.

I chose Dr. Ortiz after investigating many clinics and doctors. I actually called to the maker of the band and asked questions. Unfortunately because of legal issued, the band maker could not answer many questions except to say that Dr. Ortiz was a licensed band surgeon and had been a proctoring doctor for many years. I figured that is he had been teaching other doctors how to install the band that his skill level must be pretty good.

I also looked at how much money you would get back from Alberta Health Care. You get back almost twice as much from AHC if you go to Mexico than to Toronto. I know that is not a great reason, but it did make it more cost effective. The clinic there also includes all your hotel costs, so the only thing I had to pay for was food (not much since you are on shakes prior to surgery and Clear Liquids following) and my air fare.

Check out Lap Band Surgery in Mexico - Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center for more information.

Julie C

Nov 6/06

Dr. Ortiz, Mexico

258/193/150

Hi

I had the surgery done by Dr Kuri in Tijauna Mexico and I was very impressed by the brand new hospital and the professionals. I would recommend it to anyone.

I was banded by Dr. Huacuz in TJ last July and was extremely impressed with the service and care. A friend came with me and had a room for free at the clinic to be close to me.

I researched the issue of fills before I made my decision and was thrilled to have a dr here in Whitehorse available to do fills. I have had 5 fills to date and she has shown me how to do it myself if I wanted to be independent. It really is simple as tecnically you're giving yourself a needle.

So, your aftercare availability will probably be the criteria for choosing which dr to go to. Good luck.

Thank you

I don't think I would personally do it.. I was one of the rare complication cases and 6 surgeries later I am so glad I had my surgery in Toronto with cdn doctors there is another thread you may want to read that thread too and take all the advice there into account.

I would get rock solid contracts if i was going out of country and make sure that they are applicable under both cdn and the other countries laws... deal with post op including complications and who pays etc.

Good luck with your decision

Heather

I Had My Surgery Done In Tijuana By Dr. Ramos-Kelly Jan 25,08. So Far I'm Down 32 Lbs. Cost Was $7500. And I Get My Fills From A Fill Nurse Here In Saskatoon. I Have Never Regretted My Decision Once! Wish I Had Made It Sooner. Good Luck!

I had mine done in Denver Colorado 2 weeks ago. Is is also much closer or me than Toronto. The cost of the Sugery was 9950$, with freel fill for 3 months than 10$ afill after. Having said that I have mad arangements with a local Dr. who will do my fills. He was trained by TWLC and apperently does a lot of fills. My Dr. has made arrangements with the radiologist at the hospital and he does fills under fluoro if I have any problems getting them dome. Thewse fills are covered by Alberta Heaith becauce they are done in outpaitients. I Talked to Alberta Health before I went down and any type of procedure done for slippage , erosion or what ever will be done in Alberta and paid for by Alberta Health.There are several surgons who do the surgery in Alb erta . I decided not to wait the 9 months it was to take to get it done on Red Deer. I have no regrets either and had a wonderfull experience in Denver.

Lizzieann

Thank you

Mycheal, I have been reseaching this for a while. If you don't have the money to do it in canada, then Mexico is the best choice. I haven't done it yet because of the aftercare here,...there is none here that would make any sense. What you need to do is go and get your surgery in Mexico. Then save up some more money and go back to Mexico for you fill. You of course have to make sure that your band and all fills are guarented with your doctor.If you have your band done in mexico and your fills elsewhere then if your tube gets poked you will have to pay for surgery again out of pocket (again!) This is what I'm going to do,cause right at this time I don't have the money to get it done in toronto. But, you will have to talk to your doc and make sure it's all under warrenty. It's all fine and dandy for everyone to tell you not to go to mexico, maybe they have more money than you and I. Good for them! But in a few months, after being banded, I will have the money to go to mexico and get my first fill with no worry. Oh, and by the way if any thing happens and you can't get back to mexico in time, Guess what? We live in Canada, they can't refuse us healthcare, we are not Americans!:redface: