Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill...Soooo Confused...Help.

Okay,

So I had my band 12/4...lost 20 pounds. A total of 40 since Nov. WoooHooo! Started to eat more...went to get a fill last Thursday.

The night of my fill, I felt too much pressure in my chest so doc took out .1cc. Now I have 1.5cc in my 9.75cc band. I felt better. Fast forward----I am swallowing Water fine, getting my 60+ ounces. Have my Protein Drink for Breakfast fine no problem. But I am not getting hunger pangs...I am eating lunch (protein first, veg, super small carb) like we are supposed to and dinner is the same. My doc said no more than a cup of food total per meal...Okay, no problem I can't even eat that much, BUT...I do not feel hunger and so when I eat I measure it out and eat slow and chew wait a little then repeat. I have never PB'd or Slimed...what does happen to me is that I get a weird feeling in my throat like there is something in there (a ball or I dunno how to explain it), like every time I swallow there's something in my throat that just won't go down and I feel pressure in my chest again. Not always just sometimes and it lasts a long time. I am new to this and just am not sure what the HHH? If I wait to eat until I am hungry I wouldn't ever eat...because since surgery I do not feel hunger pangs...and I would starve. I want to make sure I am getting my nutrition so I want to eat, but I am confused. I have read some people only eat four or five bites and that's it...how do you get nutrition??? I have read others who eat a cup of food, I cannot do this. I don't know that I am understanding my new pouch...If I can only eat 8 or 10 bites of food how do I get my veggies and fruits and Fiber in????? And why does my throat feel so weird????? Is this restriction and should I cut my bites down to less???

AGGGGGGHHHHH! Someone please help!

Chris

I havent had a fill, but I feel the same way.

try eating 6 small meals a day. I was also told to eat my protiens first and if theres room for veggies second.

Can someone that has gotten "fills" explain what the process feels like? How long was the injection, did it hurt much? Can you feel the band being tightened? Any side effects?

Good questions! I want to see the answers too since I just had surgery jan 17th. i have the opposite problem tho in that I am HUNGRY!!!

I had surgery on Dec. 4th. I didn't feel any fullness. I stayed very hungry until I had my first fill.

The fill was not painful. It was a little uncomfortable at first, He was feeling of it under my skin to determine where to put the needle in. He gave me a shot of lidocaine first to numb me. It was a slight stick, but nothing I couldn't handle. Then when he stuck the bigger needle in for the fill, he just injected the saline solution in. I could feel him doing things but it wasn't that painful. Just slightly uncomfortable.

For about 10 days I was eating lighter. I had been very hungry since my surgery and the fill helped. I went from eating about half of what my old portions were to eating about 2 to 2 1/2 cups of food. But, after about 10 days I started wanting larger amounts.

I had my second fill yesterday. NOW I have what the first person talked about, having a lump in my throat. I'm finding that it comes from not taking small enough bites and chewing enough, or if I try to eat too fast. It's been a day now, and several times when I have eaten I've had a hard time swallowing.

It's not something I can't handle. I believe this is where i need to be for now. I haven't been losing very much and I give in too easy to my cravings. so, now I feel like I have more control. Since I can only take smaller bites, I don't want as much. I know things get stuck in my chest easily so I will be more cautious. I don't feel as hungry either.

I hope this helps answer some questions for you.

Chris,

I've had your same worries about getting in enough nutrition. It doesn't sound like you need a fill right now, getting uncomfortable on small amounts of food. The good thing is that you are aware that you need to get it healthful choices, just tiny amounts of them. We won't starve. Have a chewable Multivitamin, get your non caloric fluids in, and add in a bit of exercise. You will fine. If you have trouble getting in a decent amount of Protein, have a Protein Drink first thing in the morning when it's hard to eat solids anyway.

good luck!

I've hardly felt a thing with my two fills. My doctor has me lie down on the table and raise my legs so that he can feel the port. He lets me relax while he injects the lidocaine in a couple of places (feels like tiny pricks, barely noticeable.) Then he injects the needle, which I can't feel at all except for some slight pressure. He pulls out the saline in the band, then injects it back with the additional saline. There's no way he can miss the port without knowing it because he can feel the pressure through the syringe. He puts a small round Bandaid over the incision and that's it. I've never been left with a mark, let alone a bruise, after it was over.