Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

constantly sick after lap band please help!!

Hi;

I just had lap band on 1/7/08. after 3 days in the hospitol I came home and tried to follow the diet given me. But everytime I drink or eat something I get sick. I wretch but nothing comes up. I have alot of gas and that may be the problem, does anyone know how long it takes for the gas they pump into your stomach to go away?? I have also been have a big problem with diarrea?? can anyone offer any suggestions??? Please respond to registered email address. Thank you so much!!:smile:

dg441,

You should call your doctor and tell them the problems you are having. I went through the same things when I came home....could not even get a teaspoon of Water to go down with out feeling like it needed to come back up and also causing pain. I had alful gas pains and acid reflux. I was miserable for the first four of five days.

I called the doctor and they had me come in. They said there sometimes is a little Fluid in the band left from when they test it during surgery, so they pulled that fluid out. Then he gave me a prescription for steroids because he said I probably had some swelling which was causing me to have so much restriction even with no fluid in the band.

I was much better by the next day and have not had any problems since. My doctor said that not everyone has swelling but some peoples stomach will swell from being manipulated while they put the band on and it also has stitches. Anyway, I hope this helps. Let me know how things are going.

Wayne:smile2:

Hi;

Thank you both for the reply. I am on a full liquid diet. I have been eating about 1 cup of cream Soup, or other food at the time I eat. I drink Water and I saw my doc and told her I was getting lot of gas. She said I was getting air when I drink,I do not know how to drink without taking in air. I was getting sick with dry heaves and she gave me a script for it,but I still have real bad diarrea.She took some blood and I see her again on Tues. the 22nd. I am still feeling bad but not as bad as before.Thanks a heap and I hope someone out there can hel me with this diarrea,it's really annoying.

Thanks;

Glen banded 1/7/08 lost 17 pounds 90 more to go.:(

Hi Glen,

I'm wondering if you are suddenly lactose intolerante. I've been all of my life and what you are describing is typical symptoms from eating dairy based products. Gas, and smelly at that, runny stool that also smells really bad. The dietician that I had to see before the surgery sent for a very expensive blood test to confirm that I am indeed lactose intolerant. It also came up with that I am allergic to chicken eggs. I really feel for you. It is the most energy sapping feeling.

I make my Soups creamy and yummy by adding tofu and blending it. It takes just like regular cream Soups with all the seasonings.

Good Luck

Fran

I just want to mention that they don't pump gas into your stomach but into your abdomen in order to create space to work. The gas and bloating that some of us get inside our digestive systems is the result of the digestive process, including symptoms of being lactose intolerant. But the gas that is pumped in during surgery does not actually enter the digestive system.

Also, I read that you can become lactose intolerant from this procedure even if you've never been before. So ladytuscany's suggestion that you consider it is a good one! I got some chewable Lactaid because I have had a reaction to some whey Proteins before surgery and I wanted to be prepared. However, the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein I'm using didn't cause a reaction.

I'm glad you're feeling better and hope things settle down very soon!

Just curious, why did they have you stay in the hospital for 3 days for the lapand? That's the longest I have ever heard of.

Marieze

I had the same problems with diarrhea during the liquid phase. I deffinately reacted to the whey Protein which is an lactose intolerance and switched to Isopure which helped. But really until I was able to advance to soft foods it didn't get much better. Hang in there and good luck

Thank you everyone for responding. I just had my surgery 12/9/08. I have had a very hard time with keeping the whey/Soy Protein in me. I started having diarrhea and belching on Thursday. It seemed like every time I drunk anything I had to run to the bathroom with in 45 minutes to one hour. It is very helpful to know others have had this same problem. After many days of this I took myself of the Whey protein, Slim Fast , etc. I am not having problems except for the belching and being very hungry. I am going to call the doctors office and see what they want to do about me getting enough protein though. Not to worry I have been talking with the after hours nurse about all of this.