Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs Roux en Y choices

My surgeon told me to have the band. LOL! For me, it was mainly the lower complication risk and being less invasive that were important for me. I had other co-morbidity issues (mainly heart issues) and keeping blood loss to a minimum was important, since I had to stay on aspirin and I take plavix, although I did stop that for the surgery. I'm sure that rules out plastic surgery for me! :cool: I have a lower BMI, too.

At this point, I'm really glad I had the band. Yeah, it's tedious dealing with restriction and whatnot, but I love the idea that it's adjustable to handle different phases of life. I don't know what will come my way and being able to adjust the band to meet different nutritional needs was very attractive to me, especially since I will most likely have to deal with severe heart problems down the road. I also like the slower weight loss. It's healthier and I don't want more wrinkles than I have to have!

You have to do what's best for you. I know quite a few people with bypasses. Some love them. Some wish they'd had a band. The same is true for people with a band. Some love them; some wish they'd had bypass.

Check back with me in a year or two and see if I still love this. :eek:

No Reggrets, I have been planning on gettiing lapband and everything,I got my pass to go to mexico, Im just waiting on the money, BuT..... Now Im considering Route y , it is reverseable, and my friend had it and is averageing losing 10 pds a month. I also hear you lose it faster, andthey use the side of you stomch with more muscle so you have a hard time stretching it back out. It is 17,000 around oklahoma. I hope to get enough money cause I would rather not leave the states.

Huh????

Bypass is pretty drastic for a 38BMI. There is no going back with that one. quote]

I don't think that is very fair to say. I had a 38 BMI last month, and today it's at 40. A difference of 7 lbs. In my mind, fat is fat.

My surgeon also told me I could do either the lap-band or Route en Y which I knew I was NOT going to do. My BMI is 39. I've been really hesitant about doing the lap-band because I see all these problems on this site with slips, fills & unfills etc. Then I started to look into the Gastric Sleeve (GSB) I am still in the process of trying to find out everything I can on this but it looks like something that would suit my life much better. I transfer cities every so often & I am leary about finding fills doctors & all the f/u required with the band. Also as a self-pay I sort of have that nagging in the back of my mind that if something like a slipped band happens that's more $$ out of my pocket to pay. You might want to check into the SLEEVE. There's no longterm results that I've found yet but it's good to research another option that's less drastic then the bypass.

If I had to do it all over again, I would do the gastric sleeve or the bypass. I have had very little success with the lapband and I have followed the rules. The fact is it doesn't work as well and I think you can have just as many complications or maybe even more. And the inconviences of fills...If it were me, I would definately choose not to have the lapband.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches