Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wondering?

For all of you that have been banded for a while I was just wondering will I ever be able to drink another diet coke again. Are any of you able to drink sodas. I was just banded on 12/31/07 and the no sodas thing is about to kill me.

Angie

Each doctor has different guide lines that you follow so it is very important for you to follow what he/she recommends for the surgery but that being said I had surgery in June of 07 and only had to stay away from carbinated drinks and caffine for 1 month. I have had no problem drinking my diet dr. pepper. I did cut way down on the amount of sodas that I drink in a day, substituting Water for some of my soda. But many of the women in my support group that I go to could not drink soda again, it made them fill with gas the carbination in the drinks filled the pouch up and made them too uncomfortable. So I think past the doctors recommendations it is a very individual issue.

I have a soda about once a week or so. I usually add a ton of ice and stir it with a spoon to get some of the gas out. I don't like it as much as I used to.

I got hooked on snapple peach iced tea - yummmmmmmmm! Try it, you may like it if you like sweet drinks.

Sue

Please ask your doc. but I am ok with them as long as some of the carbonation is gone, I usually our into a cup then let sit for a while. BUT ONLY IF YOUR DOC say it is ok! :eek:

Before my band I would drink a can or two of soda at home and then when I was out and about get one at the drive thru daily.

After my band I'm sort of glad that my Dr. doesn't recommend having any of it. Drinking a product that can remove battery acid, clean lime and repel slugs just seems like a bad idea to me now.

But...that doesn't mean that I don't want one every ones and a while.

My dr's instruction book says that I can have diet soft/soda drinks, but I'm going to use my banding as an instrument to not drink it so much and change to Water. I probably won't feel like it anyway, if it makes you uncomfortable.

of course you should ask you dr.

I drank diet soda religously every day for over 20 years (since I was a child). So, I thought it would be hard to give up, but I haven't missed it once.

My dr said that every once in a while I could have soda if I really wanted one...he said ONLY on an empty stomach and only every once in a while.

I will drink a diet soda from time to time. Sometimes I burp more than I used to. But no pain or anything associated with it.

I gave up my addiction to diet coke (of 18yrs) 2 weeks before I got the band. I didn't want to deal with withdrawal and the band at the same time. I haven't had one since then. My doc does not recommend any carbonation.

I was banded last week (the 3rd) and by Monday I was on the phone with the dr begging for a sip of diet coke. I was given the "ok" but to obviously take it slow. I now only drink a few sips a day compared to the 2 or 3 cans per day before the band.

My surgeon INSISTS that I shouldn't have it at all. And, quite frankly, I've not missed it much. I drink a lot of ice tea w/ equal or splenda and I've always been a Water drinker. SO, that helps. I go the little pint bottles of water and they fit in my purse!! So, you can be out and about and sip, also! :rolleyes: Plus, the 'shake in' Crystal Light, S/F Koolaid, Propel, and teas are good! I don't really miss my soda...

I drink a coke everyday and have no issues. I drink a lot less than I used too, and never when I eat food. I drink it very slowly and have really had no problems. I have lost close to 80 pounds in the last 11 months.