Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spitting up alot of saliva

Hey everyone, I'm 2 days post-op today & just had my 1st few sips of my Protein shake. Although it went down OK, I've been spitting up a lot of saliva for the past hour. I'm thinking perhaps I swallowed the shake too fast. I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. Also, the Dr says I have really good restriction now w/out the fill. I probably won't need a fill for a good while.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

JC,

I experienced the excess saliva after I ate for a few days after surgery as well. It eventually went away, either by itself or I ended up automatically eating/drinking slower and that eliminated it.

I was told by my doctor that I was VERY restricted right out of surgery and wouldn't need a fill for a LONG time, if ever. Well, two weeks later, I was barely restricted. Have already had one fill which helped for a few days, then right back to non-restriction. I'm in the process of scheduling fill #2. So be aware that even if you are pretty restricted right after surgery, a lot of that swelling will go down and you may need fills sooner than you think. But that's what the band is for, so I'm saying "fill 'er up!" Just wanted you to hear from someone else who was told they were very restricted right off the bat......

JC,

I didn't spit up huge amounts, but just sort of like right before you are going to throw up.....Sorry, that's gross....but true!! From what I've heard and read, if you can not swallow your OWN saliva at ALL, you do need to see someone ASAP. If you were able to get the shake down, tho, you probably just ate it too fast. Do you feel like you have a golf ball in your throat/chest? I have that when I eat too fast or don't chew enough. Partially gets worse by panicking, tho, so try to relax and maybe sit in a comfy chair for awhile. My body did all sorts of "weird" things for the first week post-op that scared me to death, but nothing ever happened that was truly bad or hurt me. Each days gets better. But if you are to the point where you really can NOT swallow your own saliva and would like to see a doctor, then by all means, do so!!

Larry,

Thanks for the responses. I am spitting up large amounts, but I am not swallowing it either. It feels like it is coming from within. I do have the golfball feeling, and then I sort of try to swallow and (forgive me for this grossness) foamy spit just comes up. Lots of it. I had a little bit of shake and it went down okay, before that today I had some tea and Jello. Yesterday I had Jello and plenty of Water in small sips and it was fine. I think I might just be overreacting.

JC,

Please keep us posted! Hopefully in a few days the saliva ordeal will be overwith. I still get the "golfball" when I eat too fast or don't chew enough, but it passes. Sort of a warning for me to SLOW DOWN and CHEW!!! If you do have questions beyond what this website can handle, PLEASE call your doctor!! That's why he makes the big $$!!

thing is, I am not in any type of pain. I am not really vomiting, just feels like spitting up. I don't have any of the symptoms they told me to look out for.

Hey JC: I'm sorry you're having this trouble! I had one episode where I was at least two hours out from having eating (or drunk) something, but out of nowhere my salivary glands just started working overtime. I had to spit out several mouthfuls of saliva which, if I had swallowed fast enough, would have made me sick to my stomach.

It couldn't possibly have been something I ate, but I asked around and was told it was likely an esophageal spasm. That sort of thing happens spontaneously in everyone, but it more noticeable once you're banded. It's a very unpleasant sensation but on its own is not dangerous.

Vomiting, which I guess involves actual stomach contractions, is what's dangerous. So if you're not actually vomiting there probably isn't anything serious happening. Your esophagus may settle down with some warm liquid, and remember not to gulp your fluids. (That's something I'm having a very hard time with myself.)

Keep us posted!!

JC, I am so sorry you are having a hard time. So many of us on this board are new to the band and it's hard to know how to advise. It sounds like you are very restricted for the time being. I think as long as you are able to get fluids down and you are not vomiting, there is no need to worry. And even though I've only been banded for five days myself, I learned last night that anxiety can make the band tighten up. Keep us posted.

Nancy

JC...relax! Here's what's happening...

One of the ways the body "helps" us is that it springs into action to "save" us when food plugs up our stomachs. In fact, the first thing it does is "lube it," with plenty of gunky saliva. It seems the brain hasn't read the LapBand owners manual; it doesn't know you have an intentionally smaller stoma. It thinks you have something stuck. It's just trying to help it pass.

And, if lubing it up doesn't help, guess what. You then feel a wave of nausea. It's just the body trying to deal with what it thinks is stuck food.< /p>

You will learn, your brain will learn...that the stomach and its band are now in charge.

Sue

I just read your "I'm back!" post.

Apparently, you are one of those whose mucosal lining swells when it is messed with. That would explain why nothing went through at first, you were really, really swollen. And that's why your brain thinks you need a gallon of 60-weight saliva heading down there, like Mighty Mouse, to save the day.

I don't know about your doctor, but mine would have you drinking liquids--mostly clear--all day long. in small amounts per swallow. Like a shot glass, with ice chips and iced Water.

And, this is a warning for you that, when you move to pureed and mushy foods, to do so only after you've given this episode of edema time to heal itself, and then, add those more solid foods very slowly.

Do you live anywhere near a Jamba juice? They have many protein-rich, high calorie drinks which will save you from feeling starved after a week or so of this.

Good luck!

Sue

Originally posted by GeezerSue

It seems the brain hasn't read the LapBand owners manual; it doesn't know you have an intentionally smaller stoma. It thinks you have something stuck. It's just trying to help it pass.

Sue, thank you for this! The next time I have one of these episodes this perspective will help me get through it calmly. Perfect!

You are just a few days out from your surgery and it is not uncommon to have swelling aroung the band. It will restrict you much more now than you will be restricted, even in a few more days.

It is very good advice to stay on mostly clear or thin liquids until the swelling settles down and you are not having so many "saliva episodes". Also, have you noticed if it happens more frequently in the morning than it does in the evening? I am 7 months out and still get "saliva episodes" particularly in the morning.

I have read, possibly from one of Sue's posts a while ago, that the saliva collects in the esophogus when we are in the prone position. If you have been lying around a lot, as you probably have during this initial healing stage, it might be a good idea to get up and move around. Think gravity! My doctor had me up and walking the same day as my surgery.

Also it important to realize that we are all different in how we react to the surgery. As long as you can keep fluids down, this will probably pass soon. Just remember to treat you band gently during this phase and go slowly with whatever you are taking in. If you are still having a problem in the next few days and are worried then you should call your doctor.

Good luck!

Spring

Hey folks, I'm back again. Sunday after talking to Larry I talked to my surgeon again, and he wanted me to go in and get readmitted again. He just wanted to make sure everything was okay. Man, I'll tell you I spit up mouthfuls of saliva every few minutes. Thing is I was spitting up from inside. Anyway, I feel much better, I was discharged once again yesterday, and have been having just clears. I'm pretty sore, but at least the liquids are going down.

Thanks everyone for advice and support.