Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Oh brother, I have been doing fine...but slowly, I am eating too much!!

A big wedding in NY, last weekend, another wedding locally here and I found myself eating 2-3 cups of food!!! In that same time, I ate too fast and nearly threw up (but didn't). I got really watery :thumbup: (Sliming) twice...I am scheduled for my first fill on July 14th.

Otherwise, doing well, exercising (swimming laps 4x a week) but eating too much. HELP!! I have used the "daily.plate" so well, and today didn't even use that. OLD HABITS scare me!! Please add me to your prayer list. Thanks fellow Bandsters!!! Thanks, Christy

I'll put you on my prayer list. I start my pre-op liquid diet on Wednesday. I need prayer too!

Can anyone help? I am trying to remain optimistic, but it is really hard today. Over the past 2 weeks, I have gained 6 pounds! At first, I thought I was just retaining Water, but I continued to gain or pound or stay stable each day. I am still on liquids, but can have cottage cheese, Protein Drinks, creamy Soups, etc. I haven't eaten (drank?) anything I am not supposed to have. Each morning, I go for a walk before my shower; after school, I go to the gym to do water aerobics for an hour or more. I am probably not getting in all my water, but I try to drink bouillon and hot tea to get in more fluids. I'm worried that I just cannot lose all this weight on anything but Optifast or total starvation..... I really dread getting to the solid foods phase, as I fear I will gain weight like mad....

When I saw Dr. Rehnke, I was still on Clear Liquids and doing well. Now, I am really worried. Any advice/suggestions? Thank you all for being here and sharing your journeys with everyone.

Nancy

P.S. My ticker is not current---I cannot bear to ADD 6 pounds to it...omigosh....I am trying to stay optimistic here.....:thumbup:

Can anyone help? I am trying to remain optimistic, but it is really hard today. Over the past 2 weeks, I have gained 6 pounds! At first, I thought I was just retaining Water, but I continued to gain or pound or stay stable each day. I am still on liquids, but can have cottage cheese, Protein drinks, creamy Soups, etc. I haven't eaten (drank?) anything I am not supposed to have. Each morning, I go for a walk before my shower; after school, I go to the gym to do water aerobics for an hour or more. I am probably not getting in all my water, but I try to drink bouillon and hot tea to get in more fluids. I'm worried that I just cannot lose all this weight on anything but Optifast or total starvation..... I really dread getting to the solid foods phase, as I fear I will gain weight like mad....

When I saw Dr. Rehnke, I was still on clear liquids and doing well. Now, I am really worried. Any advice/suggestions? Thank you all for being here and sharing your journeys with everyone.

Nancy

P.S. My ticker is not current---I cannot bear to ADD 6 pounds to it...omigosh....I am trying to stay optimistic here.....:)

I haven't had the surgery yet, but with my doctor's nutrition class we are given one free consult with a nutritionist after surgery. You might check with his office.....I am sure they can help you. Don't beat yourself up....there is a solution to your weight gain.

Hi Charlene,

Thank you for your kindness. I spoke with a friend who is ahead of me in the process with Dr. Rehnke. She went through a similar problem while on full liquids, and started losing well when she got a fill. It's possible that my body is acting like it is starving and is holding onto every bit of liquid and each and every one of the 300 or 400 or so calories I am consuming daily. This is a time of healing for my body and I know that if I follow my doctor's orders, I will lose the weight, it's just a matter of time and patience. There is no way to do this without the help and support of friends, I know that for sure!

Thanks again,

Nancy

LOL! Yes, she is! I am fortunate to have such good and wise friends to help me through this difficult time. Someday, I hope to be in a position to help others in their struggle, as well!

I haven't had the surgery yet, but with my doctor's nutrition class we are given one free consult with a nutritionist after surgery. You might check with his office.....I am sure they can help you. Don't beat yourself up....there is a solution to your weight gain.

Angelshere:

Have you figured out your calorie intake for an average day? I find it hard to believe you will gain "fat" weight at what seems to be a low calorie count. Commercially prepared Soups and boullion do contain a LOT of salt - sodium will cause Fluid weight gain. Plus, you're healing, and even thought it doesn't seem like it, there is Fluid from swelling of internal tissues. I did notice the same things going on post-op and from time to time. Also, certain hormones and cause cyclic weight gain. It's really hard when you think you're doing everything right, and the scale just doesn't cooperate!

If your calories and Proteins are where they should be, I really think you will make progress. I think solids are easier since you have other choices than all that salty stuff like Soups.< /p>

I too have been on plateaus, even gained weight and I can't figure out what the problem is, but they do end! I must have a pretty low metabolism, because I have found I need to keep my calories to about 1,000 or less a day or I don't seem to loose. But when you add up the totals, I am doing great.

SO...hang in there. Keep up the exercise, look at the total picture of what you're eating. Give youself time to heal. Consult your dietitian for some suggestions and advice.

LOL! Yes, she is! I am fortunate to have such good and wise friends to help me through this difficult time. Someday, I hope to be in a position to help others in their struggle, as well!

Angelshere, I agree with the others.....you are only a few weeks out from your surgery. You need to give yourself time to heal. That's what the first 4 to 6 weeks. The healing (to me) is not only the port site & band healing, it's the emotional rollercoaster too. Keep following your doc's orders, taking care of you and it will happen in time. Your body is adjusting to all the changes too. I love my band. I've had barriers in my journey too, we all have, but it is so worth it! Keep breatheing, moving, embrace each change as it comes. You can do it!

Best wishes to everyone!

Carol:thumbup:

Janet that little Green Dress is too cute... you have done stupendously!!!

I am "GREEN" with envy!

Can anyone help? I am trying to remain optimistic, but it is really hard today. Over the past 2 weeks, I have gained 6 pounds! At first, I thought I was just retaining Water, but I continued to gain or pound or stay stable each day. I am still on liquids, but can have cottage cheese, Protein drinks, creamy Soups, etc. I haven't eaten (drank?) anything I am not supposed to have. Each morning, I go for a walk before my shower; after school, I go to the gym to do Water aerobics for an hour or more. I am probably not getting in all my water, but I try to drink bouillon and hot tea to get in more fluids. I'm worried that I just cannot lose all this weight on anything but Optifast or total starvation..... I really dread getting to the solid foods phase, as I fear I will gain weight like mad....

When I saw Dr. Rehnke, I was still on Clear Liquids and doing well. Now, I am really worried. Any advice/suggestions? Thank you all for being here and sharing your journeys with everyone.

Nancy

P.S. My ticker is not current---I cannot bear to ADD 6 pounds to it...omigosh....I am trying to stay optimistic here.....:wink_smile:

The band taught me patience. Lots of patience.

If you keep doing the right things, everything works out. Even now I go a week or so with a gain on the scale and then bamm a couple of pounds come off.

Stay away from sugar and your weight loss will be smoother. The scale NEVER does what I want it to do! It's always slower than I want it to be!

Sadie

Lizalee: Thank you for the encouragement... I took some Milk of Magnesia and ate an Activia yogurt, and hope that helps. My calorie count (according to Fitday.com) averages about 300 to 500 a day (depending on the kind of Soup and whatever else I have that day, so I think that is ok. I do think the Water retention may be a problem and also, I hope that the MoM and yogurt do their magic. I will keep on doing what the doctor ordered and in time, I hope the pounds will go, too.

Carol & Sadie: Thank you both for your encouragement. I am hanging in there. 2 pounds down this morning and I hope the rest goes soon (and a whole lot more!).

Everyone: this group helps me so much, I can't thank you all enough for what you give me. I spend hours reading posts, but usually post just to this group, and the knowledge I have acquired is so useful.

Thanks and hugs to you all,

Nancy

Good afternoon.

OMG, I can't believe I almost screwed up big time. Well I did but I got lucky. It taught me a huge lesson, never forget I have a band!! There I was shopping costco, ignoring all sample ladies! When suddenly what should appear but a sample lady with 'Lousiana Hot links'. Well I was buying stuff for the 4th BBQ and thought I'd try one. I popped the whole thing in my mouth, about an inch long sausage. It was so spicey hot, that I chewed a couple times and swallowed. And, then, I immediatelly thought OMG!! Did I just do that? It's going to get stuck, what do I do? I totally forgot about the band. I just told someone last night how normal I know felt as I've recovered. I am on solid foods so that's not so much the issue. The issue was my bite side and lack of chewing. First I was going to go to the restroom and try and vomit but then remembered that was bad. I just prayed it went down and it did. So obviously I don't have too much restriction anymore and need my fill in 2 weeks (from today). But I can't believe I totally forgot about the band and did that. I have been so mindful of every bite, not taken a big bigger than a pencil eraser or my pinkie nail bed (2 guidelines they gave me in the nutrition class). I have been the perfect lap band patient. It taught me a huge lesson though, never just pop something in my mouth w/o thinking, be mindful of everything! It wasn't like a cheat moment where I thought I'm sick of this so screw it I'm going to eat this or anything. I really and truly just let it slip my mind. Has anyone ever done this? I feel so stupid. IT WON"T HAPPEN AGAIN!! Also, never shop at Costco hungry! LOL I'm just starting to get my hunger back at almost 4 weeks out.

Omigosh, Long2bethin, I had to laugh when I read your post as that could have been me! I shop at costco and also try to avoid the samples.....but I could see me becoming distracted and not even thinking about it and putting some kind of meat in my mouth before I realized what I had done! Thank goodness it went down for you!

Nancy

Omigosh, Long2bethin, I had to laugh when I read your post as that could have been me! I shop at costco and also try to avoid the samples.....but I could see me becoming distracted and not even thinking about it and putting some kind of meat in my mouth before I realized what I had done! Thank goodness it went down for you!

Nancy

I guess I should be glad there's not much restriction right now. I was just so mad at myself, I mean how could I forget I have a band, for Pete's sake? ridiculous! Now I know what they mean about being mindful when you eat.

Also, during my mushie phase, I gained 4 lbs one day and they didn't leave for several days. I was also very constipated. I had taken Colace, Metamucil, and Milk of Magnesia and still no relief. finally got some glycerin suppositories and that did the trick. The nurse at my surgeons office said to now take Colace daily until my 6 week checkup/fill and I've not had a problem since, also I am now on solids so maybe that is helping too. Sorry if TMI.

I had my second fill last week and was doing good. I swallowed a Vitamin yesterday that was a capsule. I don't know if it got stuck or what, but I threw up after taking it and spent the night last night awake throwing up. Whenever I laid down I would get nauseous. I couldn't eat anything. My chest was very sore, along with my stomach. This morning I am better (enough to be able to eat a couple bites of sliced cheese. I am still pretty sore and don't want to push drinking or eating more. Has anyone felt like this? I don't want to have to go back to my doctor right now as it is so expensive. He is 6 hours away.

Catarina

I don't know if anyone responded - and I am a day late and dollar short - but here is the info for future use - hopefully you won't need it

1st - we are not suppose to take pills - without cutting them up - Vitamins should be the chewable kind.

You did get stuck - after something like that (you have irritation) - you need to go back to full liquids for a couple days - and eat ice chips - to reduce the swelling... (this is per my doc and in no way to replace what your doc says) Love that disclaimer :)

I have only pb's when something got stuck but not afterwords and since I am not a doc - you may want to call them and ask them what you should do -

Go buy centruim chewables or go to Bariatric Advantage and buy their chewable lapband Vitamins.< /p>