Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hypothyroidism and LapBand

As part of the final, final round of tests being conducted in preparation for my surgery date (13 Feb 08), a blood test was conducted. The test has shown me to suffer from hypothyroidism, which while I far from see it as the reason I weigh what I do, I understand it may have an impact.

Does anyone else have any experience with hypothyroidism, and particularly its impacts on bariatric surgery? While I haven't been told that my surgery would be postponed, denied by insurance or whatever, I'm somewhat fearful of that possibility.

I have had hypothyroidism for over three years and it does have a lot of impact on my weight. For example, I waited to long to call my doc for a refill on my med and to make a long story short I went without my med for about a week. I gained 8 lbs in that one week. The draw back is that the weight doesn't come back off when you get your medicine right. I'm going to be band on the 16th and the doc nor the insurance gave me any problem because of the thyroid problem. If anything I would think it would be another reason to get the band because medically you have something working against you. Of course everyone is different but I don't see why it should stand in your way.

That's good to know. I've had it in my head all weekend that this was going to completely derail my surgical track; that my insurance company was going to take a stance of "he's hypothyroid, which may mean he doesn't need LapBand."

While I still have this concern, your post Nadean helps me not sweat it quite as much as I had been. I'm 37 days away now and my thyroid test was literally the last step in my pre-op evaluation process. I'd hate to think I'd get this close only to have the proverbial rug pulled out from under me. :)

I have hypothyroidism and it caused no problems in me getting banded. In fact, they hope it straightens out after weight loss. Best of luck.

So did they start you on meds? Are you feeling GREAT?!?!

I went to my PCP a few years ago, thinking I was dying. Hot flashes--chills--skyrocketing weight--heart palps--night sweats. Must be (very) early menopause. Right? Wrong.

I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis--my immune system attacked and destroyed my thyroid gland. Tests show I have ZERO thyroid function. I started replacement therapy, and I've felt like a million bucks ever since.

I HAVE had more trouble losing weight afterwards--my PCP says replacement therapy is really just meant to supplement a low-functioning thyroid, not completely replace a dead gland.

For those of us with metabolic disorders like PCOS or hypothyroidism, weight loss is a little different. I only lose weight if I diet AND exercise. Can't just do one or the other. I don't have to "sweat to the oldies", but I do have to move my carcASS on a daily basis.

Hey - I've been on meds for over a year now, can't really tell a difference. I am glad you were able to get things straightened out.