Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Absolutely no chance, you have to do the diet...DAMMIT!! I know because I was in the same boat, but just like JOAQUIN says, it WILL go by fast!

I have Cigna and I had to do the 6 month "diet". Use this time to practice what you'll be doing after you are banded; better food choices, smaller bites, chewing, chewing, chewing, putting your hands in your lap after that very small bite, sipping your drinks, walking/getting some exercise.

I had to do the stress test, the psych eval, the 6 month diet, blood work, and a visit to a nutritionist, all for Cigna. These are the hoops I had to jump through. After you get all that done, make sure you stay on top of the people who'll be submitting your information. Call Cigna EVERY DAY, (I'm not kidding!!) to get a status on your approval. Be insistent but not mean or cruel. They are only doing a job.

I hope you have good luck. I was denied by insurance b/c I was too healthy, even being overweight, for insurance to pay.

:)

Shandra

I hope you have good luck. I was denied by insurance b/c I was too healthy, even being overweight, for insurance to pay.

:)

Shandra

so i've got cigna too and no obesity related illnesses. i talked to them the other day and there was no mention of being too healthy. eek! they only said i needed the 6 month diet and all the evaluations (psych, nutritionish, etc). is this a common thing?

I spoke with my PCP, and claims that I won't need to do the 6 month diet because he's been prescribing me Xenixal and Apex since 2005.

I personally don't think this is going to work since it was not for six straight, it was every three months. However, no matter what my visit was for they always made note that I was obese, heavy periods, etc.

so I've got Cigna too and no obesity related illnesses. I talked to them the other day and there was no mention of being too healthy. Eek! They only said i needed the 6 month diet and all the evaluations (psych, nutritionist, etc). Is this a common thing?

I'm not sure how common it is, but it does make sense. They just want to make sure that you're "sane" and will take care of yourself after you get banded.

It seems no matter what I go to the dr. for (twisted ankle, annual visit, one of my 6 month diet visits), my BP was always a little high. Enough to be considered pre-hypertensive but not enough to be "high blood pressure". Not sure why that didn't help qualify me for approval. I think w/ Cigna you have to have two co-morbidities if you are between a certain range of BMI; I think that was my case. Had my BMI been over 40, I would have been approved. I was just under 39.8 or so. Of all the times to have gained weight, during my 6 month diet would have been the time so that my BMI would have gone over 40. But you know that 6-7 lbs I would have needed i would just have to lose and buy clothes to fit in to. Why does it have to be that I have to gain weight to get Insurance to pay for the operation to lose it? Guess there has to be a cut off, but I'd have liked it to be lower to include me.

As it, I'm going self-pay and will be changing my life on Jan 29th, around 7 am or so.

Sorry so OT.

:P

Shandra

futurejd, I won't swear to it, but I am pretty sure I read in my insurance info (cigna) it has to be a supervised diet of 6 mth, or two three months with in a year. So if that is the case and your Dr keep record of your weight you shold be ok. When I went to the seminar (first thing I did). The sergion had a paper for our Dr to fill out every month. We just had to copy 6 of them. I just has the date and place for weight and my Dr made notes on my progress. So If he has something like that I would guess your good to go on the diet part.

futurejd, I won't swear to it, but I am pretty sure I read in my insurance info (cigna) it has to be a supervised diet of 6 mth, or two three months with in a year. So if that is the case and your Dr keep record of your weight you shold be ok. When I went to the seminar (first thing I did). The sergion had a paper for our Dr to fill out every month. We just had to copy 6 of them. I just has the date and place for weight and my Dr made notes on my progress. So If he has something like that I would guess your good to go on the diet part.

Your doc will have to provide monthly 'clinic notes' showing your weight and that you are on a supervised diet. If he has such notes in your record for the last sequential 6 months... you should be set.

My paperwork went to Cigna on Wednesday.... fingers crossed :cursing:

I just spent the last hour online at mycigna dot com trying to figure out if my moms plan covers the band..... I finally called them and found out the employer has an exclusion.. RATS! My question, has anyone ever had any luck with purchasing a "Rider"??????

futurejd, you better check your own plan because my plan with Cigna says it must be 6 consecutive months within the last two years. Just give them a call and give them your ID number to verify what your specific plans says.

Really that is the best bet. Just to call and ask them. Even if your ins is cigna it still varies for plan to plan because mine states it could be 2/3 mths with in a year of each other and it seems most say 6 mths. I did the 6 mths myself.

Tracy I haven't heard anyone using a rider for lapband but I have only been looking into this for the past yr. I am not a pro like some of these people. But i haven't read or come across anything like that.

Tracy your welcome, I don't see why a rider wouldn't work. My girlfriend had to do that for the ortho for her daughter. By the way you look great I can't wait to get banded.