Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Payers?

Since my insurance is worthless, I've decided to go ahead and self pay.

Anyone from Ohio (I'm in Cleveland, but willing to drive some) self pay? How much was it, and how long did it take from first appointment to surgery without all the insurance hoops to jump through?

I was going to go through SVCH, but I can't seem to get them to return my calls, so I'm not feeling it. I've spent 2 years researching and considering this, now that I've mentally committed, I just want to DO it and quit screwing around!

Thanks!

Angie

Hi angieI was a self pay and it is well worth every penny i spent. I had my surgery done at OSU in Columbus by Dr Needleman. I started the beginning of April by submitting my application, then they sent the letter i knew was comming that my insurance did not cover it even though I told them I was a self pay after I made them a believer that I was going to self pay the Dr had to approve my application that took about 2 weeks and a phone call each week, be very proactive to keep things moving. Next they set me up with an appt with the dietiation and the psycologist and a down payment of $1,000 at those first two appts. It took about a week for the Dr to recieve there reports. The month of May was spent going once a week to nutrition classes that are included in the self pay if you go to Columbus to their classes. . I had to have a physical with my PCP and he had to order all the blood work that I needed for my surgery. I had to be very proactive in makeing sure they gotthe results of the blood work only to find out that my PCP missed one that they needed so I had to go over to the PCP's office and tell him that I needed another order for thyriod levels. After about 2 weeks of getting the result of my blood work faxed down to OSUI recieved a call with a prelimanary date for my surgery. Then I had to take a day off to run my $21,000.00 check to OSU so I didn't loose my surgery date because they never recived the first check I sent which I had to stop payment on!!! Who knows where that one ended up!!! Finaly everything was a go and I had my surgery on June 21,07 The Dr included 3 months post op care in my package so that was enough time for me to get in two fills. Thank goodnes I hit my sweet spot on the second fill because now I will have to pay $200.00 a fill for any more fills.Just ask if you have any more questions , Yes it was very expensive but worth evey penny and yes I would do It again!!!

Thanks! Geez, that seems long.

I've already been to the seminar at SVCH, but now they can't find my file. I was going to stick with them figuring I was one step further than anywhere else, but if not then I'm not attached to them too much.

Since my insurance is worthless, I've decided to go ahead and self pay.

Anyone from Ohio (I'm in Cleveland, but willing to drive some) self pay? How much was it, and how long did it take from first appointment to surgery without all the insurance hoops to jump through?

I was going to go through SVCH, but I can't seem to get them to return my calls, so I'm not feeling it. I've spent 2 years researching and considering this, now that I've mentally committed, I just want to DO it and quit screwing around!

Thanks!

Angie

If it helps, we have a band practice north of Cincinnati and my partner, Dr. Mobley is banded himself as well as his wife and half his family. The entire office is banded and we do fills (by a banded nurse) in Columbus, OH.

Cincinnati is a bit of a drive, especially if I have to make the trip several times. If I start the process today and self pay, how long would you estimate until my surgery date?

If you are willing to fly, Dr Kirshenbaum in Aurora, Co does his surgery for $9950. Includes all pre-op and fills for 3 months after. After the 3 month period fills are only $15.

His staff is WONDERFUL and he has been so awesome over the phone. I have talked to several surgeons and he has been my favorite thus far. (that is why I picked him!)

I am traveling from AZ. He has patients form all over the country. I got my surgery scheduled within a month from when I called. I had done a lot of research prior, and attending several different seminars, so I was comfortable with a quick banding once I made the decision.

Check him out: Dr Kirshenbaum

I assume I'd only have to go there once? I guess I wouldn't mind flying for the surgery, but I don't want to be flying out for seminar, consultation, dietitian, every fill, etc. :)

Hi Angie,

I'm from the ne ohio too, I was going to self-pay but found out that I can have my surgery thru medicare after I turn 65 in July, so of course I'm going that route. Originally I was going to go thru University Hospital Geauga Medical Center in Chardon, Ohio (used to be Geauga Community Hospital, but upgraded) They just opened a WLS center in January of 2007, everything new!! I can't tell you how long it takes from beginning to end, I believe it's up to you, how long it takes you to do all your tests and check-ups, it was slow for me because I was taking my time. Got to protect my job you know.

The surgeon is Dr. Khaitan, (pronounced KA'-ton), the cost is $16,750 plus $1,500 or $2,500 for surgeons assistant. All other things are covered, hospital stay for 1 night, anesthesia etc.

You may want to check on the price of fills, I was told $600 and was too stunned to ask any more questions.:faint:

I love the people there, but will be going into Cleveland for surgery at UH because the one in Chardon is too new to have the credentials needed by Medicare. You might consider UH in Cleveland also.

Good luck, if I can help more let me know.

Dawn

Angie .....Also, I haven't started with the new surgeon yet, I have to make an appointment. His name is Dr. Hallowell (216) 844-8413 he has two offices, one in s. euclid and one in cleveland. He was recommended by the office I was dealing with in Chardon. I live east of Cleveland and that's why I started with Geauga.

Dawn

Thanks everyone! Finally heard from SVCH and they said I'm not fat enough (BMI is 38). So I guess I will pick one of these others. Gaining weight to lose weight is pretty stupid, as fun as it would be. :hungry:

I am another Dr. Kirshenbaum patient (for $9950). You may want to do what I did. Fortunately for you Air Tran airlines flies from Cleveland to Denver (and it also flies from Charlotte to Denver for me). It is pretty cheap for you. About $100 each way most times. Anyway, this is what I did. I got an Air Tran credit card. Just for getting the credit card, I got a one way trip. Then I actually charged the surgery on the Air Tran card. That earned me a one way trip. That would be a free round trip for you to go out there and get the surgery. They have a very liberal frequent flyer program. I am charging everything I can think of each month to my Air Tran Card to earn the miles so I can go back to Denver cheaply for my fills.

SYNCHRONY HEALTH IS IN OHIO! That surgeon, Dr. Watkins, is actually on this Board! I went to Synchrony in Virginia and it has been amazing!!!!

I was self pay in Virginia and all my fills are free for a year (15,000.00). Also it was 6 weeks from my first appt. to my surgery date. I had just had a physical, and just had to get a couple more simple tests done. I paid nothing for the physical (Veterans affairs), but paid about 200 bucks for additional bloodwork.

I was shocked to find that people who have their surgery out of town to save money, and then want to get a fill in their own town, are paying 500-600 bucks each. Somehow that doesn't sound like a good deal to me. I WOULD SEE IF YOU CAN FIND SOMEONE LOCAL FOR EVERYTHING! THAT'S just me.

I am another Dr. Kirshenbaum patient (for $9950). You may want to do what I did. Fortunately for you Air Tran airlines flies from Cleveland to Denver (and it also flies from Charlotte to Denver for me). It is pretty cheap for you. About $100 each way most times. Anyway, this is what I did. I got an Air Tran credit card. Just for getting the credit card, I got a one way trip. Then I actually charged the surgery on the Air Tran card. That earned me a one way trip. That would be a free round trip for you to go out there and get the surgery. They have a very liberal frequent flyer program. I am charging everything I can think of each month to my Air Tran Card to earn the miles so I can go back to Denver cheaply for my fills.

That's pretty smart! I'll check it out!

SYNCHRONY HEALTH IS IN OHIO! That surgeon, Dr. Watkins, is actually on this Board! I went to Synchrony in Virginia and it has been amazing!!!!

I was self pay in Virginia and all my fills are free for a year (15,000.00). Also it was 6 weeks from my first appt. to my surgery date. I had just had a physical, and just had to get a couple more simple tests done. I paid nothing for the physical (Veterans affairs), but paid about 200 bucks for additional bloodwork.

I was shocked to find that people who have their surgery out of town to save money, and then want to get a fill in their own town, are paying 500-600 bucks each. Somehow that doesn't sound like a good deal to me. I WOULD SEE IF YOU CAN FIND SOMEONE LOCAL FOR EVERYTHING! THAT'S just me.

Unfortunately, none of them are extremely close. Synchrony is about 5 hours drive. The ones that are in Cleveland won't take me because my BMI is "only" 38.

Right now I'm waffling between Synchrony, Dr Curry, and Dr Kirshenbaum. Price isn't the be all end all of my decision, but when you're talking a $10k difference, it's impossible to ignore!!