Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody else advanced to real food?

I've started eating a little of real foods here and there. I'm still on the pureed phase but I've felt comfortable eating tuna fish without pureeing it on a saltine cracker (2 of those for lunch) and it goes down without a problem and fills me up. I also had a (teacup) saucer plate of spaghetti with a tablespoon of marinara sauce a week ago and there were no problems with that, either.

I went on a date Friday night and ordered a grilled chicken salad with the dressing on the side, no croutons, and the chicken and romaine lettuce went down perfectly well. I was a little surprised, but I made sure to chew thoroughly.

Yesterday I went out with a friend and she ordered a big meal from a BBQ place and I had a baked potato. Over the hour that we were there chatting, I ate the whole baked potato (which was regular sized, not some gigantic version of one) and I felt stuffed afterwards, but no problems with that either.

I haven't PB'ed on anything yet. It makes me wonder if my band's actually in there. *LOL* I don't have any problems, but I really haven't tested the waters too much. I figure next week when I go back to regular foods, I'll try to have a little bit of pot roast from the crock pot and maybe a little bit of Italian food just to see how I tolerate it.

I also don't have any restriction, but I get full much sooner. I think it's also because I'm aware that there's something in my stomach that wasn't there before and overeating like I might have done in the past could damage it, so I'm a little more careful now to listen to when my body starts saying, "That's enough. Put the fork down."

I've been back on solid food for a week but have been sticking to the softer types, spag bol, casseroles, etc. I got told "a cup" rather than half a cup and have been using that as my measure since the beginning (ie a cup of broth on clears, a cup of thick Soup, etc). With the solids, I am still using a small soup bowl to help limit my intake.

On the Soups, a cup was just perfect - filled me up and kept me satisifed for ages but didn't overfill me. On solids, I'm finding that I have to be very careful what I put in the bowl, as the cupfull most definitely fills me and anything more makes me really tight and uncomfortable for some time afterwards. Unfortunately, I have always been in the habit of eating to the point of bursting and am quite used to that pain of being overfull - it's almost like I need that pain to signal stop.

I find with eating really slowly and chewing, I am actually aware that I am full several bites before I get to the bottom of the bowl, but I still can't stop myself from eating those last unnecessary bites :) I am just going to have to put less in the bowl because I can't seem to break the habit of finishing my plate, even when I KNOW I shouldn't, that I don't need it and that it will actually hurt if I do... *sigh* the things addiction makes us do...

I had surgery on dec 18th and I have slowly graduated to real foods. I have had chili, mash potatoes, and just soft foods. Im starvin! I cant wait till my first fill!!

I'm supposed to start regular food after my appointment on Friday. I still am eating 1/4 of a cup at a time. I eat a lot of tuna, I put tiliapia or cod or haddock in my toaster oven or in my oven sprinkled with a little Old Bay garlic and herb seasoning. And, chicken of the Sea makes these small (2.8 oz) tuna or salmon plastic cans that are excellent (the salmon ones come in teriyaki, BBQ or garlic)! But, mostly.. I'm still soupy! I did, however make some guacamole and pureed it up into a soupy mixture. It was FANTASTIC! I honestly am CRAVING a salad!!! I want to try one SOOO bad!

:help:Hi,

There seem to be great discrepancies in what we all are able to (from the band) eat. Some can eat red meat, some can eat anything, some can't even get scrambled eggs down. I seem to be able to eat a small amount of anything- I just finished a two egg omelet and even a few days ago when, after 9 hours overnight into morning in the ER with my daughter, blew it on an egg/sausage/cheese on an english muffin, I ate it just fine. (Everything else has been okay in the mushie stage; I go on solids in two days)

For those who have greater capacity or ease, does this mean the band may have slipped? I'm worried- I will not be eating that sandwich again! Does anyone know if there are any true signs as to whether the band has slipped? This is obviously a worst fear scenario! Yikes!

kimlparker

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wy1eo2y/blk-weight.png[/image]

[/link]

I may be thick but how do I get his ticker to show?:faint:

Kim,

I don't think it's a slip. Some Dr's put a little bit of fill in when they place the band, others (like my Dr) don't. So some people may have more tightness than others depending on the size of the band, whether they have any fill in the band and how quickly their body recovers after surgery. I have been able to eat anything, but up until last week could only eat about 1/2 cup at a time. Now I can eat much more (trying not to though) and am starting to feel hungry.

Everyone will have a different experience. Not sure what the symptoms of a band slip are.

Danna:hungry:

It's been almost three weeks for me and I've tried chicken, turkey, scallops, shrimp...some soft veggies...but no bread or red meat. Everything's gone down extremely easy with no problems. I can definitely tell when it's time to stop, but I think I'm just paranoid to see what one more bite can do.

I have been wondering about being able to eat more than I thought I would. I know I have not had a fill yet. But it makes me wonder if my pouch is too big?

Ok I Will Be 3 Weeks Out On 12-9-08 Well Tomorrow And My Doc Still Says pureed food I Am Hungry And I Want T Ochew Something Damn It Lol I Just Want Some chicken Or A salad With Some Boiled eggs I Have No Problem Keeping It Healthy But I Want To Eat A Typical Day For Me Is Eating Every 2 Hours As Follows:

8am: oatmeal

10am: Protein Shake 38.5 Grams Of Protein

12pm: Cup O' Soup Usually One With Chicken

2pm: Fat Free Refried Beans About 8 Oz. With Some Fat Free Sour Cream

4pm: Boost

6pm:really Tired Of Eating But I Will Have 2 Scrammbled Eggs

Let Me Know What You Think About This Diet And Can I Eat Somehting chewable Lol

Nicky

Question has anyone tried to eat Subway? If so how did it go any suggestions on whether I should go wrap or toasted wheat....I am at week three and I am a college student and it's so hard to find something to eat on the days I am at the college all day and don't have a way of bringing my own food.< /p>

Question has anyone tried to eat Subway? If so how did it go any suggestions on whether I should go wrap or toasted wheat....I am at week three and I am a college student and it's so hard to find something to eat on the days I am at the college all day and don't have a way of bringing my own food.< /div>

I has subway, I did the tuna on toasted wheat with pickles onions and honey mustard it so was good but no chips and drink

Is there a college cafeteria handy? My son is in college and he will eat at the cafeteria on occasion.

They might have cottage cheese and some other early bandster foods.

I am leary of Subway. I am afraid with the meat and veggies - and starch (bread/wrap), I wouldn't chew well enough. But that is just me.

The other idea I have is Carnation Instant Breakfast has just come out with ready made shakes in a bottle. You could try that. Or natural Peanut Butter on crackers.

Good luck - I know with planning you can find some decent choices. Oh and good luck with your spring semester.

C.N.

I was banded on 12/17, and graduated to solid foods after 2 weeks. It's strange to try to "find" things to eat right now. I'm trying to avoid trigger foods as I dont "feel" as though I have any restriction right now, although I've been careful not to overdo it for fear of messing anything up! Of the things I've tried, chicken, beef, etc, the only item that didnt really feel right after I ate it was a small amount of rice I had from a canned Tortilla Soup. I'd been warned about the rice, and didnt even think about it being in the soup before I opened the can! So rice is the only thing off the list right now. I can do bread though, which I'm betting I wont be able to after I get a fill, so for now I'll have a little bit of bread, and chew it to a liquid.

Anyone tried salad yet? For some reason, the idea of salad makes me very nervous!

Tina

Wow, I just started week five and am slowly progressing into solid foods last night i ate about a 1/2 oz of venison and wanted to try stuffing but chicken out and gave it to my son. I have been eating chunky Soup for about 2 weeks and have been too scared to eat the meat in them.( My dog can hear me open a can from across the house.) I'm soooo scared of putting weight back on transitioning to solid foods and of course I don't want to throw up either!!! This last 5 lbs have come off slow and my doc said he wanted 30lbs by the time I see him in Feb. I'm down 23 now I'm worried.

tmarie07,

I have made a really small salad using baby spinach.

I really wondered what might happen too - but my husband loves his salads and it was time I started making them again.

I chewed and chewed and chewed. It takes a long time to chew things up. But, at this point - prefill - I had no problem.

C.N.