Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pain and not losing - help!

Hi all

I was banded on 12/18/07 and am down 6 pounds. I've been hovering between 5 and 7 the whole time (I'd already lost 7 after 3 days). I realize it's only been 11 days, but anytime I eat (drink) something and even when I don't, I have this feeling, it's hard to explain, like pain right around my diaphragm, right between my boobs, like at the top of my stomach. I'm just worried that something is wrong. I'm supposed to be on liquids for another couple days, but I made a soft scrambled egg last night cuz I was STARVING and if I have to eat Soup for one more meal, I'll freak out. I felt fine while eating it and after. So, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I keep reading about people losing 20 lbs in the first 2 weeks and I'm nowhere near that! I know I'm not getting enough Protein and I'm not drinking enough Water. That's always been a problem for me. I just hate having this feeling all the time.

;)

The feeling of tightness usually happens to me when I drink something to fast or eat to fast....... take it slow, sip something hot, and don't freak out.... eggs and my band are not friends......... if you are against having broth... then you will need to puree something... I lived on tomatoe Soup made with milk, and even today it is one of my favorite lunches.....

You are most likely still getting the restriction from the swelling of surgery... once it goes down watch out because you will be in bandster hell and hungry........ drink your protien and then eat a sf popsicle, or sf pudding, or a creamy soup..... but remember this is the time your band is healing and setting its place (scar tissue) so every day that you can let it heal the better it will be long term.

Hi Karyno

I was banded on the 19th and it sounds like the pain you are having is prbally from the swelling of your port. I experience it from time time. I am currently on soft foods, I seem to be able to tolerate any soft food right now. I am allowed to eat baked fish and tuns, but continuue to follow your doctor's order. We are going to make it through this. Keep ypu head up! Where are your from?

thanks Tracy.

I guess I should have clarified that I have been having JUST broth and pureed Soup and SF Jello, and all things liquid. I have the pain whether I eat or not. I also forgot to mention that they found a hiatal hernia during my surgery and fixed it. I was coughing like crazy right after (had a slight cold going in that got worse) and am worried that I blew the hernia again. The feeling is like a "punched in the stomach" feeling that I've had before - must have been due to the hernia I had and didn't know it, although the pain is worse now. It's especially bad today. I had a small yogurt (runny) for Breakfast and some pureed potato soup for lunch. If the pain continues, I'll email my doc. Thanks for your suggestions, though. And you look GREAT! I can't wait. ;))

Hi sob

I'm from Vernon, BC in Canada. I was banded in Monterrey Mexico on 12/18/07. Where are you from? I'd love to be able to chat and see how each other are doing since our "bandiversaries" are so close together. ;))

Hi Karnyo

Is the pain you are having right at the end of your breast bone? I was banded on December 4th and the first week I didn't have pain but the second week I had pain there. The Dr said it was probably due to the swelling and he must have been right because it went away on about week 3. I didn't have it when I ate or drank I only got the pain when I was sitting down. Probably the pressure from the band and the swelling.

Its all gone now...

I lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks but then when he started me on food for week 3 and week 4, I gained back 7 lbs. He said its normal so don't worry it will come off. I am losing again and haven't had my fill yet.

Rosanne

I'm trying very hard to believe I'm feeling better every day, but let me tell you, by night the gas is at times unbearable and that feeling of tightness at the top of the diaphram feels like I'm going to have a heart attack. Thank God I keep listening to all of you. It's helpful to know wer'e all going through it together.

I just started the Protein drinks today and trying hard to get down the last 10 grams of it. I'm having trouble with the sipping, I swear I'm taking in les than the 1/2 tsp ata time but it still seems to be to much

Question about the Gas-X How much can you take a day? I think I really need more than the recommended dosage!

ps......the toots can easily turn to poops!:embarassed:

Please be careful! You are still swollen from surgery and that is probably what is making your band really tight. After four days I was allowed soft Proteins, so eggs should be fine. Just remember you need to take really small bites and eat really slowly. When you are swollen like that it is lots easier for your band to slip, so that is why you have to be really careful. Try to follow your doctor's instructions. Each doctor is a little different as far as what you can eat and when, but there is a reason for what they are telling you! The swelling will go down soon.

I was banded on 12/31. I have had and STILL am having a HORRIBLE pain in my stomach...that won't go away. I was on Clear Liquids and thought maybe the pain was hunger pain, so I graduated up to creamy Soups and yogurt - the yogurt is hurting bad! I have been to the Dr - and they checked for leaking or slippage and everything looks fine. Every now and then, I feel some relief but it comes right back within seconds. Has anyone experienced this? Dr is stumped???? He prescribed this medication that coats the stomach they use for Gastric bypass patients but that hasn't helped much. Do I just wait it out???

karyno-please don't harp on what the other bandsters have lost. Remember that everyone bodies are so different. Also, u just had sugery a couple of weeks ago, you are still quite swollen. And one more thing, our bodies has just been opened, picked on, a foreign object inside of us. I don't believe it had registered to our brains yet.

I was banded about 2 months ago, and was fine for the first few weeks, then i cheated and ate some solids. That pain you described is what i had, for 4 days, virtually non stop - but i went back on liquids and it finally went away. Now, when i eat too fast, dont chew enough, or dring cold liquids while eating i get those same pains. If i eat slowly, chew enough, and dont drink with my food i have no pain at all!

Hi everybody,

Man it's funny to read all the threads in here everybody's post op instructions very so much. I've been on either clear or full liquids since my surgery on 12/13 and am suppose to stay on full liquids till week 5. Also nobody needs to get down on themselves for how much or how little weight they lose everybody is different. I hit the 20 lb mark yesterday and have had only a few minor difficulty's but there are people I've talked to on here that have had a ton of problems and arent losing much weight at all.

Keep posting it's nice to know I'm in the boat with alot of other people.

I am having the same problem today. I was banded on 12/27. No problems up until today at 3PM when I started having real pain in my abdomen. Thanks, someone, for telling me I am still swollen and it will go away.

Thank goodness I found this thread. I know the pain you are speaking of. I have it too, and have had it since x-mas eve. Almost 2 weeks now and it only feels like it's getting worse. It's there all the time, whether I'm eating, drinking, or not. For me it feels very much like being on the verge of a heart attack. A tightness to the chest. Sometimes even breathing is affected. Sorry you are experiencing it, but the fact that you are does make me feel better, to know that I am not alone. I go in to see the sugeon on the 10th and I am hoping he will tell me that this is nothing critical and that it will go away in time. It's making me nervous and scared. I dont like not knowing whats wrong and how to fix it. And if this is permanent, I don't know what I'll do, I don't think I can go on living indefinately in this condition.

Good luck to you. I hope this clears up for both of us.

Thankfully my pain has strarted to subside a little more each day. Surgery was Monday, it's Saturday. I'm doing way too much and not resting enough but when I do rest, I do feel ALOT better. ONLY PROBLEM NOW, and please let me know if anyone else has had this - my outter thighs stay numb and tingley when I'm standing or laying down - doesn't happen when I'm sitting - it's driving me CRAZY - I've called my Dr, but no call back yet. Any suggestions on why???