Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

HI all!

So I have been in a slight plateau, not losing a whole lot anymore. Staying pretty stagnant which is fine I knew this day would come. So I am taking advantage of this and starting to weight lift, light weights more reps with upper body since I don't want to bulk up but trim down, then heavier on my booty and legs to pump them up. Now I am STARVING! I don't think what I am eating is going to cut it anymore, not on days where I am lifting/ cardio. I have been doing pretty well staying 1000cal or under on days I just do cardio, which is nothing strenuous just 40-60min walk.

anyone else have this issue? I am thinking that my protein/ Decaf cold brew drink in the morning is not enough, might need to add something or start eating more?

Any input?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be most concerned with whether you're hitting your Protein over the course of the day. You may need to focus extra on protein if you're lifting. I wouldn't go for extra calories, but more of your macro split coming from protein. You're most likely to build muscle when you start weight lifting.

I noticed that a lot of the recommended protein foods, especially during the early diet stages are actually pretty low in protein compared to calories and ended up focusing a lot more on Protein Drinks and lean meats rather than "normal" type eating that was suggested where I was filling up on mixed macro foods like Beans or dairy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Nepenthe44 said:

I would be most concerned with whether you're hitting your Protein over the course of the day. You may need to focus extra on Protein if you're lifting. I wouldn't go for extra calories, but more of your macro split coming from protein. You're most likely to build muscle when you start weight lifting.

I noticed that a lot of the recommended protein foods, especially during the early diet stages are actually pretty low in protein compared to calories and ended up focusing a lot more on Protein Drinks and lean meats rather than "normal" type eating that was suggested where I was filling up on mixed macro foods like Beans or dairy.

On lifting days I am eating over 100g of protein. I typically hit 80g of protein with the exception of a weekend day (for some reason I don't eat a ton on the weekends) I havent been scared of Carbs since I am working out so much. My carbs do end up being around 60g, I eat fruit, veggies, Beans ect...

what is a typical post workout meal for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swimming is what really ramps up my hunger and so far nuts and avocado really help. A pre workout meal is Chobani zero greek yogurt, 2 oz, half ounce walnuts, 6 grapes. I'm almost 4 months post op. I'm still eating 3 oz at a time, 3 meals a day, 1 snack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If all you're having for Breakfast is a Protein cold brew, that won't stick with you for long. I have a smoothie in the mornings and it packs a good nutritional punch. I recall even from before surgery that a smoothie would keep me going until lunch. My new go-to, after some trial and error, is 150g frozen fruit, 30g baby spinach, 1tsp each of hemp seed, chia, flax, and raw sunflower seeds, 100g drained and rinsed canned Beans (cannellini, white beans, black beans, chickpeas will all work), plus 2 scoops unflavored protein (20g), a scoop of beetroot powder and a scoop of Benefiber. I fill with as much Water as my 20oz blender cup will hold. I add a squeeze of the bottled grated ginger to kind of mask the bean flavor, and I blend the heck out of it with a Vitamix so it's really smooth. It's about 360 calories, 30g protein, and has 16g Fiber (11 from ingredients, 5 from Benefiber). It takes me about 45 minutes to drink it at 9 weeks post-op.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Lily2024 said:

Swimming is what really ramps up my hunger and so far nuts and avocado really help. A pre workout meal is Chobani zero greek yogurt, 2 oz, half ounce walnuts, 6 grapes. I'm almost 4 months post op. I'm still eating 3 oz at a time, 3 meals a day, 1 snack.

I cannot eat before working out, I feel nauseous so if I work out at 5am, I don't eat and if I work out 5pm I do my best not to eat 2hours before my workout, but a yogurt afterwards would probably be great! I am eating around 1000 calories a day and have been for about 5weeks now. But nuts sound yummy! I will have to incorporate that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

If all you're having for Breakfast is a Protein cold brew, that won't stick with you for long. I have a smoothie in the mornings and it packs a good nutritional punch. I recall even from before surgery that a smoothie would keep me going until lunch. My new go-to, after some trial and error, is 150g frozen fruit, 30g baby spinach, 1tsp each of hemp seed, chia, flax, and raw sunflower seeds, 100g drained and rinsed canned Beans (cannellini, white Beans, black beans, chickpeas will all work), plus 2 scoops unflavored Protein (20g), a scoop of beetroot powder and a scoop of Benefiber. I fill with as much Water as my 20oz blender cup will hold. I add a squeeze of the bottled grated ginger to kind of mask the bean flavor, and I blend the heck out of it with a Vitamix so it's really smooth. It's about 360 calories, 30g protein, and has 16g Fiber (11 from ingredients, 5 from Benefiber). It takes me about 45 minutes to drink it at 9 weeks post-op.

That does sound filling! I just love my Protein cold brew LOL So its possible that a Protein Bar a couple of hours later which I have been doing with the Rxbar and its been filling. I will have to look at some other recipes for cold brews see if I can beef it up. Thank you for the suggestion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2024 at 1:13 PM, AmberFL said:

HI all!

So I have been in a slight plateau, not losing a whole lot anymore. Staying pretty stagnant which is fine I knew this day would come. So I am taking advantage of this and starting to weight lift, light weights more reps with upper body since I don't want to bulk up but trim down, then heavier on my booty and legs to pump them up. Now I am STARVING! I don't think what I am eating is going to cut it anymore, not on days where I am lifting/ cardio. I have been doing pretty well staying 1000cal or under on days I just do cardio, which is nothing strenuous just 40-60min walk.

anyone else have this issue? I am thinking that my protein/ Decaf cold brew drink in the morning is not enough, might need to add something or start eating more?

Any input?

Hello,

I want to preface saying I have not had my surgery yet but I have been losing weight in the pre-op stages as per my dietitian and doctors request and this includes me going to the gym and getting my protein/calorie goals in for the day.

The important thing to know is plateauing is inevitable as your body gets used to the things you do on a daily basis. So since you know that already you going to the gym is a beneficial first step in the right direction of losing more weight.

That being said weight training is an amazing cardio/full body workout and for women you actually don’t have to worry about getting “bulky” my doctor said it’s just not what our bodies do to get stacked like that (he didn’t say it in those words of course but I’m paraphrasing). Which it’s true generally unless you’re a bodybuilder you won’t get bulked up like crazy (even then it’s usually the addition of hormones that add to bulking) so go ahead and lift girl! Cardio exercises like running, swimming etc. are also great to get into your routine which I see you have and it’s important to also not forget about aerobic exercises like yoga/pilates this will also minimize your chance of getting “bulky”.
Overall, I would say if you have set days of the week you work out like MWF do that for 2 weeks then switch up the days, intensity of workouts and type of exercises you do on each day to give your body that “restart” it needs in order to start losing weight.

It is also so incredibly important to eat enough calories! Yes sounds weird but you actually might not be eating enough for you to lose weight and this is what my doctor told me. If you don’t eat enough your body goes into “survival” mode because it’s not being given enough food in order to carry out your bodily functions to its fullest potential. Yes you can be taking supplements and be healthy on paper but if you’re trying to lose weight and exercising and eating well and still unable to lose the weight then it’s time to evaluate if you’re eating enough during the day.

I would highly recommend reaching out to your doctor and/or dietitian about adequate dietary input your should have because there are all kinds of info and pamphlets on lines telling us to be between so and so calories at this point in time or to not exceed x amount but in reality everyone is different and all bodies are different.

I hope this helps sorry for the book/lecture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Julie.Nudge said:

Hello,

I want to preface saying I have not had my surgery yet but I have been losing weight in the pre-op stages as per my dietitian and doctors request and this includes me going to the gym and getting my protein/calorie goals in for the day.

The important thing to know is plateauing is inevitable as your body gets used to the things you do on a daily basis. So since you know that already you going to the gym is a beneficial first step in the right direction of losing more weight.

That being said weight training is an amazing cardio/full body workout and for women you actually don’t have to worry about getting “bulky” my doctor said it’s just not what our bodies do to get stacked like that (he didn’t say it in those words of course but I’m paraphrasing). Which it’s true generally unless you’re a bodybuilder you won’t get bulked up like crazy (even then it’s usually the addition of hormones that add to bulking) so go ahead and lift girl! Cardio exercises like running, swimming etc. are also great to get into your routine which I see you have and it’s important to also not forget about aerobic exercises like yoga/pilates this will also minimize your chance of getting “bulky”.
Overall, I would say if you have set days of the week you work out like MWF do that for 2 weeks then switch up the days, intensity of workouts and type of exercises you do on each day to give your body that “restart” it needs in order to start losing weight.

It is also so incredibly important to eat enough calories! Yes sounds weird but you actually might not be eating enough for you to lose weight and this is what my doctor told me. If you don’t eat enough your body goes into “survival” mode because it’s not being given enough food in order to carry out your bodily functions to its fullest potential. Yes you can be taking supplements and be healthy on paper but if you’re trying to lose weight and exercising and eating well and still unable to lose the weight then it’s time to evaluate if you’re eating enough during the day.

I would highly recommend reaching out to your doctor and/or dietitian about adequate dietary input your should have because there are all kinds of info and pamphlets on lines telling us to be between so and so calories at this point in time or to not exceed x amount but in reality everyone is different and all bodies are different.

I hope this helps sorry for the book/lecture.

Thank you so much!! as of now I am weight lifting 3-4x a week. Trying to switch up the exercises for my upper body and lower body. I do want to build a booty so I focus lifting heavy on those LOL. I agree I may need to eat more which I have been trying to incorporate more Protein. I feel like this whole thing is a science and well I got a C in science so I am not sure what I am doing is hindering or helping.

Like you said weightlifting and cardio are so good for us! I am sure I will see the difference in my body with inches as the time goes on.

Loved the book/lecture ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Liz R

      Trying to update my ticker - I'm down 100 pounds!! 
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

        I don't know how to update the ticker, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!

    • Alisa_S

      I joined BariatricPal in 2008 & I FINALLY made the descision to have WLS!! I'm so excited & not sure what I need to do to get the ball rolling, but I made an appointment with my PCP for 7/19. It's a start I guess.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Elnaz

      Losing weight is my dream
      · 1 reply
      1. Alisa_S

        I've been dreaming about it for 30 years or so. It's time to make it happen!

    • OhMyGawdItzKla

      I joined yesterday when I was struggling with this preop diet... 
      It typically comes and goes, the hard times and easier times. I'm on day 6 of 14  shakes, water, sf Popsicles and jello. And I might actually be losing my mind. But, oh dear lord has the fear set in. Not about the surgery itself, but life afterwards. If I feel this crappy on the preop diet, am I going to feel like this forever after? 
      I know most of the answers are no, not forever. It might be worse after for a while, then get better. I know it's a more of a mental challenge than physical after the first couple weeks of healing. I get all of that. But I'm starting to feel scared about losing myself afterwards. 
      It might be my hormones or desire to chew something salty talking.. It may go away soon or tomorrow.. I can hope, anyway. But right now.. The fear is real. 
       
      And this liquid diet can bite me. 
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

        Fear is normal, but if it makes you feel any better, I'm 4.5 months post-op and the pre-op diet was by far the hardest part of the whole process. There will be challenges and a lot of new things to learn, but I can honestly say at this point I feel so much more "back to normal" and was even able to go on a week-long vacation with my kids without stressing over it. It's so worthwhile.

      2. OhMyGawdItzKla

        @NickelChip This actually does make me feel better! Thank you so much! After the onslaught of Covid, we've all had to deal with a "new normal", so I know it's possible. It's just the fear and frustration in this moment that makes me question if I can find another "new normal" afterwards. The thought of just a few more months seems daunting some times, but I really do appreciate input and real experience. I'll use that to get me through for a few more hours! LOL. Thank you so much! And I'm glad everything is going so well for you! ❤️

    • mamabear30106

      I started my 10 day pre op diet yesterday I need flavor!! I'm not big on the chocolate protein shakes so I just got to use up what I have was thinking about freezing it to make it like a ice cream so its something I can chew a little. Idk this is hard but I know I can do it just need to find new things to try 
      · 1 reply
      1. JennyBeez

        You can try. I've read other people have had good results with protein-shake popsicles, etc. My personal experience with it? Sucked.

        I tried making 'fudgesicles' with a couple different flavors of a premade shake, as well as a protein powder I blended myself and all of them came out revolting? The powder ones, all the protein sunk to the middle; the premade shakes, the popsicle had a disgusting texture and the protein seemed to leave a weird fluffy film on the outside? I couldn't stomach it.

        Maybe look into flavoring additives? I was able to have sugar-free coffee /soda syrup flavorings, sugar-free drink flavorings and baking additives like almond, rum or pepperment extract. The extracts helped me the most as they added no extra sweetener.

        On the other hand, if you can get your hands on an unflavored/unsweetened protein powder, the syrup flavorings are perfect. I love to use Boost "Just Protein" (which is unflavored) with milk and a Chai-flavored sugarfree syrup.

        Good luck!

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×