Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I did a search through the forum but couldn't find a situation that was similar as already got my gall bladder removed years ago and not a recent post-op.

Is it 'normal' to suffer frequent, as in every few days for a few hours at a time, abdominal pain even 8 months after surgery? I get it on both sides at times, other times just one side.

It was so bad last night on my right side that I couldn't lie on my stomach, which is my preferred way to fall asleep, as it was uncomfortable. I am not sure if it is usual or a side effect of all the issues I had post-op (leak, pancreatitis, infection, abscesses, allergic reaction to meds). I didn't want to go to the hospital if it is a normal occurrence following sleeve surgery that I just am expected to take a painkiller for, also I am terrified of being kept in hospital again.

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

That's not normal. I'd check with your doctor.

Thanks.

Just have no-one to compare my experience with so no idea what is usual.

I'll see about going to the hospital next time it gets as bad as last night.

Edited by FifiLux

On 2/25/2024 at 7:57 AM, FifiLux said:

Hi all,

I did a search through the forum but couldn't find a situation that was similar as already got my gall bladder removed years ago and not a recent post-op.

Is it 'normal' to suffer frequent, as in every few days for a few hours at a time, abdominal pain even 8 months after surgery? I get it on both sides at times, other times just one side.

It was so bad last night on my right side that I couldn't lie on my stomach, which is my preferred way to fall asleep, as it was uncomfortable. I am not sure if it is usual or a side effect of all the issues I had post-op (leak, pancreatitis, infection, abscesses, allergic reaction to meds). I didn't want to go to the hospital if it is a normal occurrence following sleeve surgery that I just am expected to take a painkiller for, also I am terrified of being kept in hospital again.

I'm sorry and i think i may experience abdominal pain similar to yours even prior to surgery. I ofc haven't found someone to correctly diagnose it yet. But i use salonpas (u can find them at walmart) and place them wherever i feel the pain, sometimes drinking hot tea helps too (i imagine i'm burning the pain away), and finally holding a boiling hot water bottle (the old school like rubber bladders) wrapped in a towel and putting that wherever i feel the pain. I sleep with it too. I've found all those things more helpful than just taking meds.

Have you talked with anyone and found out what it could be?

2 hours ago, SleeveToBypass2023 said:

Have you talked with anyone and found out what it could be?

I discussed it with my surgeon at an appointment a few weeks ago and he said it could have been movement of the tube I had fitted but I was to go to the hospital the next time it happened and he then also scheduled the removal of the tube as it was only to be in for five to six months.

I spent last week in hospital to get the tube, put in my stomach five months ago to help close the leak, removed. Since then I have had no painful episodes and the tests show that the leak appears to have closed up. It is just a week and a half since the removal so I guess time will tell.