Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone go home same day?

I have Kaiser and when I talked to the nurse who booked my appt, she told me that with the sleeve I get to home same day, but the bypass you have to stay the night.

Anyone got to go home same day?

I had the Gastric Sleeve performed in November and I was back at the hotel by 7pm that night. I was able to walk several laps up and down the hallway that night without much trouble, just some gas pain. That trend seems to be more popular now since it is a lot less invasive of a procedure compared to the bypass or DS/SIPS/SADI procedures.

1 hour ago, SomeBigGuy said:

I had the Gastric Sleeve performed in November and I was back at the hotel by 7pm that night. I was able to walk several laps up and down the hallway that night without much trouble, just some gas pain. That trend seems to be more popular now since it is a lot less invasive of a procedure compared to the bypass or DS/SIPS/SADI procedures.

This is super encouraging! I want to go home that day. lol Hospitals are not comfortable!

I would say it would depend on what time of day you had your surgery. i had mine done in the afternoon and I most certainly could not have gone home the same day.

In 2015 I had the sleeve in the morning and went home that afternoon.

Yes, I had my surgery Dec. 4th and I was able to leave as soon as I came out of anesthesia and could have a conversation. The gas pain was brutal but the only way for it to leave your body is to move. And you heal much faster with more movement I noticed. You’ll be just fine!

13 hours ago, Sergeant said:

Yes, I had my surgery Dec. 4th and I was able to leave as soon as I came out of anesthesia and could have a conversation. The gas pain was brutal but the only way for it to leave your body is to move. And you heal much faster with more movement I noticed. You’ll be just fine!

yay!! I do not like hospitals- Even with my csections for both my babies I insisted on going on home the second day LOL I just rather be in my home and my bed, how are you feeling now that your a month out?!

Edited by AmberFL

13 hours ago, Sergeant said:

I forgot to mention this ^^^

The gas pain was worse than the procedure. My incisions and insides never really hurt, but that gas pressure was super uncomfortable. If its available where you are, pick up some Gas-X or similar gas relief medicine to take with you after your surgery. It will hang around a couple weeks, but the more you can walk and move your arms while walking (think over head stretches and other movement) the more it gets dispersed in your blood stream and your body forces it out. The more walking and arm movement you can do, the more it will ease up. Very annoying when the gas would build up in my shoulder area. I wouldn't call it a pain, but it wasnt' fun lol.

1 minute ago, SomeBigGuy said:

I forgot to mention this ^^^

The gas pain was worse than the procedure. My incisions and insides never really hurt, but that gas pressure was super uncomfortable. If its available where you are, pick up some Gas-X or similar gas relief medicine to take with you after your surgery. It will hang around a couple weeks, but the more you can walk and move your arms while walking (think over head stretches and other movement) the more it gets dispersed in your blood stream and your body forces it out. The more walking and arm movement you can do, the more it will ease up. Very annoying when the gas would build up in my shoulder area. I wouldn't call it a pain, but it wasnt' fun lol.

okay, I have 3 kiddos and they wont let me lay down too long. So maybe we have a dance party with lots of arm flaying and walking in place LOL how long did you take off work?

The first couple days, just walking up down the hallway or across a parking lot will be all you'll feel like doing, but doing that while moving your arms is enough to get the gas pain to ease up considerably. You will get tired quickly those first few weeks, so plan to do things in short bursts followed by a short rest so you don't overdo it.

I had my surgery on a Monday and I went back to work the next Monday, but I do work online from home. I've heard of people getting the sleeve go back to work after like 4 days, but I don't think I would want less than a week. I was able to walk a total of 3 miles on Day 4, but I was still on pain medicine and not thinking clearly. After I weaned off the meds I actually had to slow down for a few days until I adjusted. I did wait a week after coming off the pain meds to drive, but they did make me feel a little loopy and I wanted to play it safe. Physically I guess I could've driven sooner, but ask your doctor to be sure when it would be safe. Pain wasn't bad, just uncomfortable from the gas, but it would've been distracting to try to go back to work sooner.

Other procedures are more involved and may need more time off. Same if there's a minor complication, or if your liver didn't shrink enough during the pre-op diet. It won't hurt your healing or weight loss, but the more they have to move around inside you, the longer you'll be sore.

I took 2 weeks off work. The first week made sense. The second week was more of a precaution for myself as I work inside a prison and anything can happen. My doctor didn’t want me lifting more than 15 lbs for 4-6 weeks after surgery. But if I’m honest at 3 weeks I was picking up my niece at 25lbs carefully but no issues.

I think it just depends on what you do for a living and what required of you to complete you day. Do what best for you!

15 hours ago, Sergeant said:

I took 2 weeks off work. The first week made sense. The second week was more of a precaution for myself as I work inside a prison and anything can happen. My doctor didn’t want me lifting more than 15 lbs for 4-6 weeks after surgery. But if I’m honest at 3 weeks I was picking up my niece at 25lbs carefully but no issues.

I think it just depends on what you do for a living and what required of you to complete you day. Do what best for you!

okay! I was definitely going to take 2weeks off, however I was kinda thinking of extending for 4 weeks. I am in school, work full time and have 3 kids. So I feel like I may need to get a handle on everything along with the new way of eating and how tired I may be?

5 hours ago, AmberFL said:

okay! I was definitely going to take 2weeks off, however I was kinda thinking of extending for 4 weeks. I am in school, work full time and have 3 kids. So I feel like I may need to get a handle on everything along with the new way of eating and how tired I may be?

If you can swing it, do it. I’m single, no kids, and I was just bored out of my mind haha so I was more than ready to go back. Only thing is your side hurts when you laugh or cough for a few weeks. But if you hold it it helps. I promise it goes away! lol

1 hour ago, Sergeant said:

If you can swing it, do it. I’m single, no kids, and I was just bored out of my mind haha so I was more than ready to go back. Only thing is your side hurts when you laugh or cough for a few weeks. But if you hold it it helps. I promise it goes away! lol

Good to know! I am preparing for Gas pains and now laughing and coughing hurting lol

I stayed overnight (had Anthem for surgery) took 10 days off of work if you do stay overnight, make sure to walk constantly. it was the only thing keeping me sane.