Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Hunger

Hi all!

I had my sleeve done on 11/21/2023! I am finding that no matter how many Protein Shakes I am having I am still hungry! I have tried yogurt, cream of wheat, Protein shakes etc. My Dr. has me on liquids for the next 3 weeks and I am miserable! I was told today if I follow the plan, I shouldn't ever be truly hungry :( Any suggestions?!

Edit: I am currently eating 75-100g of protein a day

Edited by Hales1513
forgot info

Unfortunately there are a small percentage who do feel hungry. First though you need to ensure what you’re feeling is real hunger. Many of us were so driven by head hunger we forgot what real hunger truely feels like. Head hunger can be quite strong after surgery especially if your eating was driven a lot by emotions & you ate for comfort. At the moment you are experiencing quite an emotional roller coaster (hormonal fluctuations, the actually surgery, stress, etc,) & you can’t turn to food like you may have previously. And of course you always want what you can’t have more. For many of us if we want a specific food, taste or texture we know it’s head hunger. Plus many nerves were cut during surgery so a lot of signals don't work at all or work differently at the moment.

There are strategies you can use. Distraction is very useful as head hunger often will pass or reduce in intensity in time. Go for a walk as you’re able, craft, play a game, read, ring a friend or your family, etc. Often a warm drink can be helpful like herbal or green tea.

All the best.

PS - check your plan as yoghurt & cream of wheat usually aren’t allowed until at least the puree stage but there are differences in plans so…

15 hours ago, Hales1513 said:

Hi all!

I had my sleeve done on 11/21/2023! I am finding that no matter how many Protein Shakes I am having I am still hungry! I have tried yogurt, cream of wheat, Protein shakes etc. My Dr. has me on liquids for the next 3 weeks and I am miserable! I was told today if I follow the plan, I shouldn't ever be truly hungry :( Any suggestions?!

Edit: I am currently eating 75-100g of Protein a day

I unfortunately fall in the "small percentage" Arabeque mentioned like you most likely could be. I, since surgery still feel hungry and no, its not head hunger. I, like you probably do find it annoying to have gone through all this only to be fighting the hunger yet again.

I do know they say it can take up to 6 months for the nerves that register "full" to repair as they've been severed during surgery and I still don't feel full (its been 3 months). I just stick to what I'm told I should be eating and figure the battle continues.

Lets hope your hunger levels out or its just the "head hunger" everyone says it could be. Just stick to the plan, drink Water when you feel hungry and as others have said distract yourself. I know its probably not what you wanted to read/hear but its the hand dealt - learn ways to handle it. In my case, I want the weight gone and to be healthier more than I want to eat - so I ignore the hunger. Good luck - baby steps to thinner and healthy.

I woke up in recovery hungry, genuinely hungry. I would have eaten seafood if they'd offered it and I hate seafood. I'm one of that minority that didn't lose my hunger, in fact, I wasn't hungry before, it came back after surgery! Not fair! LOL

I find hydration is important for controlling hunger. I had to have a stern talk with my body about how shakes are nourishment and head hunger was complicating the picture because I just wanted to chew on something. sugar free popsicles helped. I was on liquids for 2 weeks post surgery, strict liquids, no cream of wheat or yogurt or pudding. I agree with Arabesque, distraction is your friend. As is drinking your shakes on a schedule and hydrating all throughout the day... I saved my popsicles for the evening, when I'm most used to eating a meal.

Your doctor is mistaken if they assume being hydrated or having shakes takes care of hunger. It doesn't for everyone. Each body is different. Just remind yourself this is a finite period of time. Try warm broths to alternate between the cold, sweet shakes.