Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for pre surgery

I have only had 1 other surgery in my life and that was getting my tonsils' out as an adult, and was in tears before even getting into the gown. I am so nervous about the upcoming surgery - not sure why. But curious about some things?

1) I will start my 'liquid diet' on 11/16. My job takes me into peoples homes, and I go house, after house, after house. I'm worried about having an 'accident' due to the liquid diet. I know it's not even November yet, but has anyone been on a liquid diet and did you experience any accidents? Thanks.

2) I'm working on getting prepared in advance. All the drinks, Vitamins, etc. are so expensive via the Kaiser, online places like this one, and such. Has anyone found Protein Shakes and vitamins with the recommended requirements via bariatric surgery/doctor through Walmart, Target, or Amazon? ? My friend gave me 1 Fairlife Protein Drink, 30g Protein. It was good. I'm hoping this counts. Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks.

Thanks much in advance for any/all replies.

Shawna :)

PS: I hope I'm doing this correctly. I don't even know where this will post at? Still new at this. FYI: I look at this site at least 1/week or more.

Edited by Longview Lady

It's been several years for me. I've never had an "accident" (either during the pre-surgery diet - or after), but I'm sure I was probably using the bathroom more than usual since I was drinking a lot.

I would just get enough shakes for a week or so for now, because a lot of people's tastes change and shakes they were OK with before surgery they can't tolerate after. You don't want to be stuck with a bunch of Protein Powder or shakes (because you're right, they're not cheap) that you can't tolerate after your surgery.

we had to drink only shakes that were 100% whey Protein isolate the first couple of months - I don't know if they sell powders like that at Walmart or Target, but you can probably get them through Amazon (there are no pre-made shakes that are 100% whey protein isolate). However, not all surgeons require 100% whey protein isolate shakes - some are fine with blends. So if yours is OK with blends, then you should be able to find them at any of those places you mentioned.

I'm currently on the liquid part of the pre-op diet. I haven't had any accidents. In fact, if anything, I'm a little on the constipated side... I have to pee more but that's normal with more Fluid intake and as long as I listen to those messages in enough time I don't have to run to the bathroom! LOL

Catwoman7 is right, if you can drink blends you can get those at Amazon, Target, or even costco. Pre-surgery I'm supposed to drink the Premier Protein ready to drink ones, but after surgery it is only whey Protein isolate so I bought some sample packs here on BariatricPal, as well as some from Unjury, and a bag of unflavored GENEPRO since I can put that in anything. Make use of the sample sizes!! That will save you a lot of money in the end!

The shakes are more likely to give you Constipation because of the high fibre & Protein content. But increased peeing is another story & this will continue as meeting your fluid goals post surgery are very important. (I swear I still pee every hour or so.)

Getting samples of a variety of brands & flavours are a good idea because it’s common for your taste buds & even your sense of smell to change & become extra sensitive for a while after the surgery. Your favourite flavours may taste disgusting for a few weeks.

As long as the pre-made shakes or protein powders contain a similar amount of protein you can buy any brand any where. Use your recommended brand as a guide for acceptable protein & other nutrients in the alternative brand you find to assess their suitability.

All the best with your surgery.

P.S. I just realized that by "accident" you mean #2. I don't think that's very common. We hear about it occasionally on here, but I don't think that happens to most people. Or at least, I rarely see any posts about that. Chronic Constipation is a lot. more common.

Edited by catwoman7

I sure do appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks soooo much!! I'm still new to this site and not even sure where this has posted and, have forgotten how I found all this feedback. lol.

Again, thank you all for your support and posts.

I did find some Protein Shakes (they should call them drinks, they are not 'shakes'. lol, that's just my thought process.).

* 4-pack of Premier Protein chocolate: 30g Protein, 160 calories, 1g sugar, 24 vitamins/minerals, 3g Fiber. and has milk protein concentrate.
* 4-pack of Muscle Milk Pro Chocolate: 32g protein, 170 calories, 1g sugar, 16 vitamins/minerals, 5g fiber. and has milk protein isolate.

I read, in Ch. 7 of the spiral book Kaiser sent for the mandatory 10-course, and read that 'isolate' is better.
Also bought some sugar-free popsicles.

Q: What is Bone Broth? Is that just broth with nothing else in it? 'BONE' broth - I don't want to kill any humors and animals. lol. Well, maybe a couple humans in mind. lol. JUST JOKING, REALLY.
Q: 4oz sugar free Gelatin +8oz water...does that mean I can make Jello?

8 hours ago, Longview Lady said:

I sure do appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks soooo much!! I'm still new to this site and not even sure where this has posted and, have forgotten how I found all this feedback. lol.

Again, thank you all for your support and posts.

I did find some Protein Shakes (they should call them drinks, they are not 'shakes'. lol, that's just my thought process.).

* 4-pack of Premier Protein chocolate: 30g Protein, 160 calories, 1g sugar, 24 vitamins/minerals, 3g Fiber. and has milk Protein concentrate.
* 4-pack of Muscle Milk Pro Chocolate: 32g protein, 170 calories, 1g sugar, 16 vitamins/minerals, 5g fiber. and has milk protein isolate.

I read, in Ch. 7 of the spiral book Kaiser sent for the mandatory 10-course, and read that 'isolate' is better.
Also bought some sugar-free popsicles.

Q: What is Bone Broth? Is that just broth with nothing else in it? 'BONE' broth - I don't want to kill any humors and animals. lol. Well, maybe a couple humans in mind. lol. JUST JOKING, REALLY.
Q: 4oz sugar free Gelatin +8oz water...does that mean I can make Jello?

I used to think all broth was Bone Broth (since I always thought you made broth by boiling (and then simmering) bones and vegetables in a big pot for a long time, and then straining off the liquid (i.e., the broth)), but now I guess that's called "bone broth", because there's marrow left in the broth after you remove the veggies and bones. So evidently with "not-bone-broth", they don't throw the bones in the pot with it? I didn't even know you could make broth that way, but apparently so. But anyway, yes - that would be bone broth. Your grandmother's homemade broth would have been called "bone broth" today, but evidently the broth you get in the store is not unless it specifically says "bone broth" on the box or can.

and yes on the Jello question, although we could only have the sugar free kind.

Thanks CatWoman. Gotta say, though i'm Jewish I did not see my Bubby much and so no good ol' fashioned Bone Broth. Honestly, I have never heard of bone broth. I don't cook with chicken and bones - i'm too damn tired. Yes, I'm one of those quickie people who use can goods and boxes. Too time consuming and messy to take all the meat off the chicken. lol. i know, who is this woman? lol. Especially since my daughter moved out and just me - a lil yogurt with nuts, a healthy blender-made shake, a pizza on occasion - that is dinner. I do make some crock-pot meals on occasion. I'm hoping for better sleep and more energy after surgery and maybe i'll get out more and want to actually cook some 'meals'. :) ...so you say I can buy 'bone broth' at the store? lol. Yep, here we go with another can or box. lol.

CatWoman, Congrats on your current weight too! Way to go. And your surgery was in 2015? How very nice of you to show such support to folks here. :)

Kettle & Fire makes a pretty tasty Bone Broth. They have all different flavors. I'm working my way through them slowly. I bought one box of about 8 different flavors. I think bone broth has more Protein in it because it has more collagen from cooking longer? Stock usually cooks for a shorter time? My partner has a long standing argument with a foodie friend about whether bone broth actually exists or is really just stock. It's pretty funny... Personally I think both are tasty!

I really like Kettle and Fire beef Bone Broth, but it's pricey. I just found a recipe for Instant Pot bone broth, and my supermarket carries beef bones for $3.99 a pound, so I'm going to give it a try. As Catwoman mentioned, chicken bone broth is what I would just call...soup. I didn't know there were other ways of making it than simmering a chicken carcass for several hours. But I've never tried making beef broth of any kind, and I really liked the beef, so this will be interesting. I didn't even know you can buy just bones from the store! Since I don't cook with any cuts of beef that come with bones, this is an intriguing option that should be easier on the budget. This is the recipe I'm going to follow: https://theforkedspoon.com/instant-pot-bone-broth-recipe/

Nickelchip and Chunkcat,

Thanks much for the reply's and info about Bone Broth. NC, I went to the link site and checked that out. When I saw the pic of the chicken feet and beef bones, all I could think of is why didn't they cut the toes nails off the chicken feet. lolol....

I don't have a pressure cooker and honestly, I would just rather buy and have the convenience of popping open a carton/box/can and heating it up.

thanks for the reference of Kettle and Fire. Gotta say, I'm surprised at the amount of sodium in each package. And guess package is the carton you see in the pic of the lady pouring what looks to be a small carton, into her coffee cup. The $8.50 for '1' carton is pretty pricey too, looks like a couple cups worth. But... 'convenience'. :)

49 minutes ago, Longview Lady said:

When I saw the pic of the chicken feet and beef bones, all I could think of is why didn't they cut the toes nails off the chicken feet. lolol....

I am 100% NOT putting chicken feet in mine! Also, you might check Amazon if you end up liking the Kettle and Fire brand. It turned out to be about $1.50 cheaper per carton than my local grocery store if I bought the 6 pack there. I have a monthly subscribe and save order to get the best price, and since my surgery isn't until the end of December, I'm buying one 6-pack per month and tucking them away so I have plenty for those first couple weeks when I know I'll want convenience more than anything else.

I found the bone broths very salty likely because of the change to my taste buds but something to be aware of.

You can buy cheaper cuts of a beef on the bone (beef shank & oxtail are generally pretty reasonable) & then strain the both & freeze the meat for a later stage. A friend made Soup using various meats on the bone. Strained her serves out & the family ate the rest. Don’t need a pressure or slow cooker. Just a good pot on a low heat for a couple of hours.