Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WTF With The Dry Skin? =(

I had very recently just become so proud of my skin. In May, when I started dieting, I was so happy because my hormonal (menopause) chin acne disappeared and some small flaky, dry Patches on my cheeks went away. My skin was looking and feeling so great! Before this summer I'd NEVER (and I just turned 49, I know, I know, BAD ME!) used any skin care products. I had no routine. I'd just apply my makeup and then remove it when I washed my face. This was daily.

This summer I started feeling my mortality because my 49th birthday was July 2nd. I was TikTok influenced and bought the Loreal Revitalift eye serum, face serum, and moisturizer. The products, along with the weight loss REALLY helped my skin. It looked so great and I was even complimented on it by my sisters. But then...

About 3 days ago, I noticed my skin was getting little dry, flaky spots on my cheeks. Also, I've got a little bit of that hormonal chin acne, not a lot, but still. Ugh! =( I'm trying to figure out what's causing it. I read that an overload of certain Vitamins (B12 was specifically mentioned) will cause the dry, flaky skin. Not only that, they can also cause non-diabetic Acanthosis nigricans!

I'm worried and I really hope that all the vitamins I have to take now aren't going to cause my skin to look like crap again. I may be losing my mind, but I have a small patch on my neck that's sometimes itchy and feels like acanthosis when I touch it. Even my daughter noticed it. I've never been diabetic. I can't imagine actually getting acanthosis now due to my new diet/vitamin/supplement routine that's supposed to be for life. Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences?

a lot of women experience hormone surges after surgery because estrogen is stored in fat cells - so it could be that. If so, that's temporary. Also, maybe your skin is drier since you're taking in fewer fats now?

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

a lot of women experience hormone surges after surgery because estrogen is stored in fat cells - so it could be that. If so, that's temporary. Also, maybe your skin is drier since you're taking in fewer fats now?

Oh, I hope you're right. Last night I asked a former coworker if she knew if our school district insurance covered dermatologists and she said yes! I'm excited about that. I'm thinking about making an appointment at least for a consultation. I'm more worried about the little acanthosis Patches on my neck than anything else. But thank you for your thoughts. :)

I thought hormonal flush too. Personally my skin seemed to get less dry specifically on my arms & legs. It’s funny how we all react differently.

Maybe see a dermatologist or just your GP for something you could use on the dry skin Patches. It could be possible you are getting in more B12 than you need. Have you had a blood test recently to check your levels to rule that out? Recitalist contains Vitamin A (retinol), albeit a rather low level (0.3%, but that can cause dry skin patches too. Are you applying a sunscreen to protect against a sun reaction with the retinol?

Damn acne. I’m 58 (tomorrow) & every now & then I still get a pimple. Had a blind one on my chin a couple of weeks ago & then a run of the mill one of my cheek last week. I had terrible cystic acne as a teenager (11+ years of hideous skin) so feel I’ve more than had my share of acne & am soooo over it. When does it ever stop. Waah!

PS - I’ve been using the L’Oréal midnight cream & serum (only cones as a night cream). It’s lovely. I’ve been using L’Oréal products for years but this one is the best so far. Even got my 83 yr old mother on it & she’s a convert too.

Yes, I just found out my insurance covers dermatologists, so I plan to make an appointment. Thank you for your feedback. :) As for blood work, my next appointment is on the 24th, and I called the dr's office to see if they wanted me to get any blood work done. The young lady said that they usually don't ask for any until the 3-month mark. I was a little surprised. I don't really want to go for 3 whole months not knowing if my Vitamin and supplement routine is on target or not, or getting my nutrition all wrong. She said that on the 24th, I could ask for orders for blood work, and then she gave me another appointment on Aug 4th so that they could talk to me about the results. I really want to get all of this resolved (or at least addressed) before I go back to work. Once I'm working, all bets are off for any doc appointments before 4:30 PM. -_-

Oh, yes, the hormones. Ugh... I am still dealing with acne at 40, so I feel your pain. Dermatology is very helpful. I'm on 2 topical prescription creams and an oral medication to help control my acne. My skin overall has gotten drier since surgery. I use an in shower moisturizer and another one once I get out and dry off. It's help my body skin a lot. I also use a heavier cream at night on my face. Just be careful if you're acne prone on which products you use.

Thank you. I think I'm more worried about the little dark Patches I'm getting around my neck. It looks like acanthosis. It's got me worried.

It could be acanthosis, but it could also be eczema. That can flare with stress and surgery is definitely stress! Heat can make it moody too. I wondered if your decreased fat absorption was causing the dry skin too... If you are prone to acne you might ask the derm about tretinoin. It helps with it a lot, though it also can make your skin drier and more sensitive and you have to be VERY diligent with sunscreen daily.

Edited by ChunkCat

53 minutes ago, ChunkCat said:

It could be acanthosis, but it could also be eczema. That can flare with stress and surgery is definitely stress! Heat can make it moody too. I wondered if your decreased fat absorption was causing the dry skin too... If you are prone to acne you might ask the derm about tretinoin. It helps with it a lot, though it also can make your skin drier and more sensitive and you have to be VERY diligent with sunscreen daily.

So, on my appointment this past Monday, the PA said it is most likely due to a Vitamin deficiency. He said to him it didn't look like acanthosis. He ordered blood work. I have another appointment on Aug 4th so they can let me know if I have any deficiencies or if I'm taking too much of something. I do still want to make an appointment with a dermatologist, though. Thank you!

On 7/27/2023 at 7:24 PM, CarmenG said:

So, on my appointment this past Monday, the PA said it is most likely due to a Vitamin deficiency. He said to him it didn't look like acanthosis. He ordered blood work. I have another appointment on Aug 4th so they can let me know if I have any deficiencies or if I'm taking too much of something. I do still want to make an appointment with a dermatologist, though. Thank you!

Keep us updated, I'm sure you are not the only one in this position and i'm sure your comments will help others. Good luck with your bloodwork, i hope you get some answers. Glad to hear he doesnt think it is acanthosis!

Oh LAWDY this is so me!!!! Trying to fight rosacea, super dry skin, aging skin, fine lines, and now excess skin....ugh..... I stay hydrated, take collagen, use hydrating and anti aging skincare, and I still have dry skin issues. So annoying lol