Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been approved for GB by my insurance but I am waiting to get my surgery date now. The nurse on the phone told me that you have to be nicotine free for 30 days before surgery. I quit smoking months ago and now I vape. Does anyone know when they generally do the nicotine testing? I’m having trouble just stopping the vape but I don’t want to be knocked from getting my surgery if they test me the day of. Anyone have any experience with this??

Mine did a nicotine test at my initial consult in December, again 2 days ago for my preop consult, and will again the day of surgery. Your best bet is to speak to your surgeon about their timing.

I got drug and nicotine tested before surgery. From what the doc said,surgery will be postponed till you are free of everything for a month.

They did mine the day of surgery. I don't smoke or vape.

I was tested one week before surgery. It takes up to 3 weeks for nic to be completely out of your system. I weaned myself down to 0mg nicotine e-juice 2 months before surgery.

Congrats on your approval and good luck!

My doc did not test me at all. If your doctor insist on testing you over 'nicotine' or 'thc' it is NONE of their business and if need to get this surgery but can not quit you do not give up your surgery. You can easily buy a bottle of fake urine on the internet just google it. IT IS NOT ILLEGAL unless you are trying to use it to pass law enforcement it is NOT against the law to buy a bottle warm it up and just dump it in the cup instead on your own urine for the test. they can not watch you in the bathroom so that is all you do and you get this weight of and get this surgery NO MATTER WHAT. much love

I wasn’t tested for drugs or nicotine. Just basic metabolic panels Vitamins ect. I dont use any drugs or alcohol and I quit smoking in 2017 so I guess it just wasnt on their radar

On 7/4/2023 at 12:54 PM, Bigpopsmoke said:

My doc did not test me at all. If your doctor insist on testing you over 'nicotine' or 'thc' it is NONE of their business and if need to get this surgery but can not quit you do not give up your surgery. You can easily buy a bottle of fake urine on the internet just google it. IT IS NOT ILLEGAL unless you are trying to use it to pass law enforcement it is NOT against the law to buy a bottle warm it up and just dump it in the cup instead on your own urine for the test. they can not watch you in the bathroom so that is all you do and you get this weight of and get this surgery NO MATTER WHAT. much love

Actually it is their business since being a smoker can cause surgical complications and its their jobs to assure their patients have as few surgical contraindications as possible for the best surgical outcomes. When you sign the consent to treat, its a contract between you and the surgeon that you've notified them of all your health stats.

• Longer stays and emergencies: According to a 2019 reviewTrusted Source, smoking is associated with higher rates of intensive care unit admissions, emergency readmissions, and longer inpatient stays after the procedure.
  • Infections and complications: Smoking impacts your immune system, which can make it harder for your body to heal after surgery. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Trusted Source, smoking raises your risk of infections and other complications.
  • Perioperative morbidity and mortality: The previously mentioned 2019 reviewTrusted Source found that smoking boosts the risk of perioperative morbidity and mortality or death that may occur within 30 days after surgery. The more someone smokes, the greater their health risks.
  • Respiratory system and lungs: Smoking impairs the function of the heart and lungs. During and after surgery, this impairment can cause breathing problems. It can also increase the risk of pneumonia, lung collapse, or the need for a ventilator after the procedure.
  • Cardiovascular system: Nicotine, carbon monoxide, and other toxins found in cigarette smoke may raise the riskTrusted Source of heart complications during or after surgery, including heart attack and stroke.
  • Joints, muscles, and bones: Smoking can negatively impact your bones’ ability to heal. If you’re getting orthopedic surgery or another procedure for a musculoskeletal injury, your recovery may take longer.
  • Skin’s healing mechanism: The nicotine, carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, and other toxins in cigarettes negatively impact wound healing, which can delay recovery and increase the risk of scarring.
  • Responsiveness to anesthesia: Though anesthesia always has some risk of complications, smoking increases this risk. In particular, smoking before receiving an anesthetic can contribute to respiratory issues, slower recovery time, and the need to use more anesthetics.

I would especially be concerned about the last one since its a very delicate balance administering the correct anesthesia to someone who isn't a smoker and even more so on someone who has. Its your life they have in their hands, why chance it?

If you truly want the surgery, you truly need it - start out by committing yourself to the best possible outcome and quit smoking... After all you're wanting to become healthier right? Why start out by lying to someone who wants you to succeed by giving them a fake urine sample? If you had hemophilia you wouldn't lie about it just to get surgery would you?