Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey All! I had my VSG ON 3/13/23, so I’m nearly 3 months out. Weight loss is going well, slow and steady with the expected stalls here and there. However, I have had an IUD FOR 3 years with no issues and no periods. Now since surgery I’m having periods again! They are more regular than I ever was before I had the IUD! Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks in advance!

lots of women have weird hormone-related things going on the first few months after surgery - like mood swings and screwed up menstrual cycles. Estrogen is stored in fat cells, so supposedly a lot of it is released during the rapid weight loss period. It'll eventually stabilize.

I thought the same thing - estrogen flush from the weight loss. Check with your gyno to be sure. The increase of estrogen into your system can cause your fertility rate to increase too which is why many surgeons recommend doubling up on your contraceptives.

Prior to surgery I did not have a period for almost 9 months with no birth control. One week prior to surgery my PCP was referring me to an Endo to see if I had PCOS, but I decided to wait until post op.

Once I hit one month post op, I got my period and have had it ever since. Sometimes 2x per month, I thought it was the hormones which in part it is, but because I take the mini pill, if I do not take it within the same 1hr window daily, I get my period a few days after and my usual cycle.

We were advised to use contraceptive because fertility definitely increases after surgery.

i didn't have a period for about 2 years before surgery. i assumed i was menopausal (turns out i was just fat).

2-3 weeks after surgery i got a period that lasted almost 2 weeks...which was weird...even more weird that my "normal" periods normally lasted 3-4 days.

after that i got a "regular" period every month like clockwork.

that went on for about 3 years until about a year ago when it went wonky again. i think i've had a period twice in the last 12 months.

i'm assuming im actually menopausal now, ha

(im 50 today , had my surgery in 2018)

Edited by ms.sss

My period is all over the place at about 21 months PO. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.

Prior to surgery I did not have a cycle just occasional spotting with mirena. I am 14 days post op and have been bleeding 12 oF those days. Not all day just I’m the mornings for some strange reason. Has anyone else experienced this. I literally wake up every morning cramping and bleeding.