Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello I am new to the forum. I had my surgery on the 25th of may 2023. I am worried I wont lose any weight or enough weight.

Also can someone explain what I am suppose to eat on my soft diet. Dietian says one thing and surgeon dr.'s office says another. I have another issue and I am so ashamed, but it kinda hurts my stomach after 5 swallows of my Soups or broth: but I ate a saltine cracker and did just fine and know I am worried i have sabotaged my diet and weight loss.

Hi. Congratulations on going thru the surgery! You will lose weight, don’t worry! People have stalls and your body is reconfiguring your new system. I have been advised to stick with the doctors orders, hold off on all temptations and focus on staying hydrated and getting your Protein in. Once you have healed you can add in an exercise regiment and a diet if you still aren’t satisfied.
I think the soft food diet is cottage cheese, yogurt, Beans and puréed foods.
stay strong!

12 minutes ago, £€@h said:

Hi. Congratulations on going thru the surgery! You will lose weight, don’t worry! People have stalls and your body is reconfiguring your new system. I have been advised to stick with the doctors orders, hold off on all temptations and focus on staying hydrated and getting your Protein in. Once you have healed you can add in an exercise regiment and a diet if you still aren’t satisfied.
I think the soft food diet is cottage cheese, yogurt, Beans and puréed foods.
stay strong!

Thank you very much. So did I sabotage my diet with the saltine cracker.

Soft/pureed for me was one period, so I had chilli, ground chicken, ricotta bake, refried Beans, crab salad, thick Soups, greek yogurt etc.

That hurt feeling could well be your restriction, since you are only a few weeks out it takes sometimes to recognize your body's new way of letting you know when full, hungry etc.

Regarding the saltine cracker, it is not the end of the world I think most of us during the first few months want to test our stomachs. But I will invite you to think what made you do it and see if its an urge you can control. Right now everything seems easier after surgery while your body is adjusting but down the line the process and its results are going to be based on your effort and how well you follow your plan.

Thank you very much. So did I sabotage my diet with the saltine cracker.
It's not the end of the world. Just make sure you stick to your plan moving forward. I know it can be hard to push through cravings or years of eating a certain way. For me, I have to be mindful about everything that I eat. During the first year, we are setting ourselves up for what the rest of our lives will look like in terms of diet and exercise. It's important to instill in ourselves these principles and make those our new normal. With that said, please give yourself some grace. We all mess up sometimes.

I really do appreciate all advice. I will happy this Thursday when I can eat eggs or grits or mashed potatoes.

So frustrating when your dietician & surgeon’s recommendations don’t align. Probably best to go with your surgeon while you are still healing & going through the stages.

Once your on solid food, introduce new foods slowly to test how your tummy reacts and rely more on your dietician’s advice. Be warned, sometimes your tummy doesn’t like something one day & then the next week or so it’s fine. Or you ate it a few times without a problem but then your tummy decides nope, not today.

For me, soft food were things like mince dishes, slow cooked stews, casseroles, braises, chunky Soups, omelettes. Anything that gives you fall apart tender & still moist meat.

Plans are different though. For example I could have scrambled eggs & milky instant porridge in purées but no potatoes while losing.

Oh, and you will lose weight. You’ll lose it in your time & the amount that is best for you & your body.

Edited by Arabesque

15 hours ago, T O P said:

Hello I am new to the forum. I had my surgery on the 25th of may 2023. I am worried I wont lose any weight or enough weight.

Also can someone explain what I am suppose to eat on my soft diet. Dietian says one thing and surgeon dr.'s office says another. I have another issue and I am so ashamed, but it kinda hurts my stomach after 5 swallows of my Soups or broth: but I ate a saltine cracker and did just fine and know I am worried i have sabotaged my diet and weight loss.

I'm 4 weeks post op today and have eaten Cruskits, a wafery airy cracker with cheese just fine. As long as you chew it well it'd be fine. It's a fairly soft cracker. I'd say the pain is a full tummy. It's a learning process knowing when to stop. I serve my food in a 125ml cup as I know that's my limit.

I was able to eat 2 scrambled eggs successfully this morning. But only 4 bits of grits

11 hours ago, T O P said:

I was able to eat 2 scrambled eggs successfully this morning. But only 4 bits of grits

Two eggs & some grits? You’re doing well. A lot if it just comes down to how we heal.

Actually two scrambled eggs would take me three days without r eating anything else. I can eat about two now at four years out. But that’s an example of how different we all are.

12 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Two eggs & some grits? You’re doing well. A lot if it just comes down to how we heal.

Actually two scrambled eggs would take me three days without r eating anything else. I can eat about two now at four years out. But that’s an example of how different we all are.

Yep!. I wounded up throwing the grits away because they sat out on my desk all day. But I am starting to learn what my stomach take easily and what it wont.