Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any revision veterans out there

I think I would be sleeve to bypass conversion or revision whichever you want to call it. I had my sleeve two years ago and lost down to 168 stayed there for about two months and then the appetite came back and I’ve gained it all back. I am wondering if the bypass would be any different for me. Is it ever successful the second time around. Has anyone lost weight with revision and kept it off.

Hi. Sooooo - I had a band fitted in 2006 and had it worked great for 16 years; I went from 280lbs to 91lbs and it was great. My band slipped a year ago and i've regained quite a bit of it back. I'm having a bypass on June 1st and I do sometimes think 'will this work a second time around'? have a great surgeon here in the UK and I was satisfied the bypass was the best option for me. I'm going to give it my best shot as I know I cannot go back to how I was before. This has to work as there isn't really anywhere else to go from a bypass. Are you having a revision?

2 minutes ago, sharonwg said:

Hi. Sooooo - I had a band fitted in 2006 and had it worked great for 16 years; I went from 280lbs to 91lbs and it was great. My band slipped a year ago and i've regained quite a bit of it back. I'm having a bypass on June 1st and I do sometimes think 'will this work a second time around'? have a great surgeon here in the UK and I was satisfied the bypass was the best option for me. I'm going to give it my best shot as I know I cannot go back to how I was before. This has to work as there isn't really anywhere else to go from a bypass. Are you having a revision?

Well I thought it was called a revision when you went from sleeve to bypass but today they called it a conversion. Regardless, yes, I believe I am gonna do it. I have an appointment with another doctor just to make sure they think it’s a good option for me too but assuming so it’s fingers crossed it works better the second time around.

Will a revision help you to lose weight again? Yes but your weight loss will likely be at a slower rate than after your initial surgery. Will it help you keep the weight off in the future? Well, like your first surgery, that depends on you. The revision will offer more physical restrictions though many of these fade like your appetite returns & you’re able to eat larger portions. What the revision surgery, like your initial surgery, won’t do is anything about changing your head & your thinking about food, your eating habits, food choices, etc. That’s the work you have to do: establish a new relationship with food & a new sustainable way of eating that supports you maintaining a lower weight without hindering or limiting how you want to live your life.

The one thing we all have in common is that our old way of eating & how we looked at food did us no favours. It led to us all being obese & affected our health. Many find a therapist helpful in understanding your eating habits & relationship with food. Your surgeon or their team should be able to recommend someone if this is a path you’d like to try.

I agree with Arabesque. Letting old habits slip back in is what causes weight gain. If you let that happen again after bypass, then yes, you'll gain weight again. So you'll need to really monitor yourself this time around. Even at almost eight years out, I have to watch myself like a hawk or my weight will start heading north.

Arabesque is also right when she says that weight loss is almost always slower after revision - BUT...you can lose the weight again if you really work at it!!

15 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

I think I would be sleeve to bypass conversion or revision whichever you want to call it. I had my sleeve two years ago and lost down to 168 stayed there for about two months and then the appetite came back and I’ve gained it all back. I am wondering if the bypass would be any different for me. Is it ever successful the second time around. Has anyone lost weight with revision and kept it off.

As you probably know, results will vary. Have you pinpointed the exact reason for your regain? If it was *only* appetite suppression failure then it can go either way because you may or may not experience additional suppression. But there are pharmacological resources. Have you explored those yet?

Thanks so much for all your replies.

I did try the phentermine but that didn’t work because I mainly snack at night and it wears off before then. And unfortunately with my other meds that’s the only one I was able to try so now she has me trying sleeping pills thinking if I can sleep through the night I won’t get up and snack but I think I need a stronger MG cause they don’t work. Another dr told me I can try taking like one and a half but I haven’t tried it yet cause I also read that it’s not good to take this medicine every night so I want to talk to her about that.

I talked to a surgeon and he was very surprised that I am able to eat a whole 6 inch sandwich now at only two years out. That was his way of knowing how much my stomach can hold I guess was to ask how many inches of that I could eat if we went to a sandwich shop. I told him that I have been able to eat more than expected at every given stage from day one but when the hunger was gone I was able to eat what I was expected to. But after hunger returned it’s like I had no help without the restriction. I definitely couldn’t get my moneys worth at an all you can eat buffet anymore after surgery BUT, I could eat a normal serving pretty early out if I chose to. He said that I definitely need a smaller pouch which they can do with the bypass so that sounded promising that maybe it could be different??

I just wonder if like others have mentioned if all or part of the work needs to be done in my head. I am by no means opposed to trying therapy. I keep trying to find a therapist and even put a call in to see if the surgeon has any pull with one because in my area they are just not accepting new patients other than for the evaluations for surgery. He’s hasn’t called back yet but I am getting another opinion about whether going with bypass will be okay with my psyc meds since they advised against it the first time around so I will also ask him if he knows anyone that he can get me into.

i have read on here that the revision weight loss is slower. I forgot about that. I hope it will still be as much though if I’m patient. I guess I am wondering if my hunger will go away the second time?? I just don’t want to yo yo down then right back up again like I did this time. I already know I sorta let everyone else down along with myself that was rooting me on and it has been very embarrassing to publicly fail at this. I almost think it would be easier to stay heavy than to fail at this again.

Edited by ShoppGirl

15 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

Thanks so much for all your replies.

I did try the phentermine but that didn’t work because I mainly snack at night and it wears off before then. And unfortunately with my other meds that’s the only one I was able to try so now she has me trying sleeping pills thinking if I can sleep through the night I won’t get up and snack but I think I need a stronger MG cause they don’t work. Another dr told me I can try taking like one and a half but I haven’t tried it yet cause I also read that it’s not good to take this medicine every night so I want to talk to her about that.

I talked to a surgeon and he was very surprised that I am able to eat a whole 6 inch sandwich now at only two years out. That was his way of knowing how much my stomach can hold I guess was to ask how many inches of that I could eat if we went to a sandwich shop. I told him that I have been able to eat more than expected at every given stage from day one but when the hunger was gone I was able to eat what I was expected to. But after hunger returned it’s like I had no help without the restriction. I definitely couldn’t get my moneys worth at an all you can eat buffet anymore after surgery BUT, I could eat a normal serving pretty early out if I chose to. He said that I definitely need a smaller pouch which they can do with the bypass so that sounded promising that maybe it could be different??

I just wonder if like others have mentioned if all or part of the work needs to be done in my head. I am by no means opposed to trying therapy. I keep trying to find a therapist and even put a call in to see if the surgeon has any pull with one because in my area they are just not accepting new patients other than for the evaluations for surgery. He’s hasn’t called back yet but I am getting another opinion about whether going with bypass will be okay with my psyc meds since they advised against it the first time around so I will also ask him if he knows anyone that he can get me into.

i have read on here that the revision weight loss is slower. I forgot about that. I hope it will still be as much though if I’m patient. I guess I am wondering if my hunger will go away the second time?? I just don’t want to yo yo down then right back up again like I did this time. I already know I sorta let everyone else down along with myself that was rooting me on and it has been very embarrassing to publicly fail at this. I almost think it would be easier to stay heavy than to fail at this again.

If anyone who was rooting for you watches any type of sports they should understand that your favorite team doesn’t always win but you don’t stop cheering for them every time they play.

6 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

If anyone who was rooting for you watches any type of sports they should understand that your favorite team doesn’t always win but you don’t stop cheering for them every time they play.

I needed to hear that. Thank you!!