Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Month 3: Only lost 6 lbs this month Why?

Hi, I am 3 months and 2 days since my gastric sleeve. I try not to weight myself often but keep finding that I do. I know that there will be stalls and slows but I wasn't expecting to lose only 6 lbs in the entire month. I have not been exercising regularly but i have been following everything else: drinking enough Water, getting all my Protein in, keeping a low carb diet.

I realize that i have been not eating much during the day but tend to get my food in the evenings. Could that impact my weight loss? Any help is welcomed!

you'll see your biggest loses during the first month - or for some, the first two months. Then it slows down quite a lot. I don't know your starting BMI, but i started at well over 300 lbs. I had a decent drop the first month, but then months 2-6 I lost 8-12 lbs a month. Months 7-12, I lost about 5 lbs a month, give or take. After the year mark, there were some months I only lost 2. BUT...as long as I stuck with the program, i kept losing.

if you started off at a lower BMI than I did, then it's likely your monthly losses might be lower, too, because starting BMI is one of the factors that affects your rate of weight loss. But just stick with it - in the end, it's how compliant you are with your program that determines how successful you ultimately are, not how fast or slow the weight came off. If you stick to your program, the weight WILL come off.

Based on comments on this board (and my own experience), a stall at about three months is quite common. As long as you continue to lose some weight every month, you are on track. Not everyone loses at the same pace but we eventually all get there as long you we stay on the program, as Catwoman said above.

If you had lost six pounds in one month prior to surgery, you would have considered it a major success!

Edited by Recidivist

It happens to most of us! One month you lose more, the next you lose less. I tracked my monthly losses in my signature for fun, but it all evens out in the end!

Just keep doing what you are doing, the weight will continue to come off! Good luck!!

1 hour ago, ChubRub said:

I tracked my monthly losses in my signature for fun, but it all evens out in the end!

I loved seeing your monthly losses in your signature! I have no idea what is realistic, so I found that helpful.

Our weight loss is never a consistently straight downward line on a graph. It goes up & down, zigs & zags, has peaks & valleys. Much like the fluctuations we all have when we maintain our weight - no one ever weighs the exact same weight every single day. It could be this same natural fluctuation (hormones, Water retention, Constipation, etc.). It could be a stall as we can experience a number of them. And your rate of weight loss slowly but surely slows as you progress.

Have a chat with your dietician about the timings of your meals. It may be having an impact 🤷🏻‍♀️. There’s no one way of eating which works for everyone. Personally I eat more often as the day progresses & consequently eat later (I have lunch at 4pm & dinner at around 6/6:30) but I also don’t eat after 8pm. It works for me.

Thank you everyone for your insight. It’s so helpful to hear from people on this journey as well.