Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got my email saying I was approved for surgery and they will be calling me tomorrow to schedule. In the email it stated that I needed to have a passport to cross the border from San Diego to Tijuana. My mom had the surgery and at the time didn’t have a passport and a friend of mine didn’t have a passport either. I have that on the list to ask about tomorrow. I really wanted to have the surgery in March but the passport thing might delay me. Did anyone have any experience with going without a passport? I am going to Dr Mario Almanza.

You will definitely need one to get back into the US.

I'm pretty sure you need to have a passport now to travel to Mexico and back. I can't remember when they passed that law - maybe five or ten years ago? Before that you didn't have to have one.

That requirement started in 2007. I know because I did a two-month stint at the National Passport Center in New Hampshire to help them cope with the huge demand.

It is currently taking six to nine weeks to get a new passport. You can visit the Passport Center's website for details on how to apply:

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/national-passport-center.html

Edited by Recidivist

If you can prove your citizenship they cannot refuse you re-entry. I had surgery in Mx 9/2021 and did not have a passport. I took my driver's license, birth certificate, marriage license (to show my name change) and my social security card and didn't have a bit of trouble. There were 3 other patients and 2 companions in the vehicle with me (6 of us total) and NONE of us had a passport and none of us had a problem. It was perhaps SLOWER, as they had more docs to look at, but it was not problematic.

I personally would not risk going without a passport. There is a way to get one based on urgent travel. You will need to make an appointment, proof of travel, and other requirements listed on the State Departments website.

11 hours ago, LindsayT said:

You will definitely need one to get back into the US.

Depends... If you are flying... Yes... If you are traveling by car or walking across the border then no. But you will be subject to additional verification and they will more than likely send you into secondary inspection.

There are methods to expedite, especially if you have the surgery proof with date. It may cost a bit more…

Thank you all so much for your help!

During the pandemic, a large number of government employees (including passport officials) were working from home and as a result border crossing requirements between US/Mexico and US/Canada were eased to only requiring a birth certificate and a current government issued ID. About a month ago, the normal border crossing policies were reinstated and now require a passport again. As a result, there has been a deluge of passport applications. Due to the volume of applications, on 2/6/23, the normal 3 to 5 week processing time for the upcharged "Expediated Service" was increased to its current is 5 to 7 week turn-around. Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to set up an appointment at an official passport office for immediate issuance if travel is planned within 14 days.

On 2/16/2023 at 12:16 PM, William _maxson said:

I just got back . Surgery was in Tijuana. No passport was needed. I was picked up at the airport and dropped off 3 days later. They went through the medical line.

My surgery is planned at Endobariactrics, in Piedras Negras, Mexico which is just across the border from Eagle Pass, TX. Until a couple of weeks ago, a passport had not been required but according to agents at travel.state.gov; standard pre-pandemic border crossing policies have been reinstated. Maybe the San Diego/Tijuana border is handled differently.

Congrats on getting approved for your surgery! Regarding the passport requirement, it's always best to double-check with the clinic and ask about any alternatives or exceptions. In my opinion, it's always better to be safe than sorry, especially in a serious situation like this. Having all the necessary documents, including a passport, is crucial when crossing borders. It ensures a smooth and hassle-free experience. It's worth noting that institutions might even use advanced tools like https://www.idanalyzer.com/products/prime-id-scanner.html to verify your documents. So, I’d definitely recommend making sure your documents are in order and valid.

Edited by EduardBakers

We returned from Mexico around May 5th, 2023. We did not have passports.

A real-id drivers license was enough, no issues whatsoever.

We were told that a non-real-id license/id with a birth certificate would also be okay, but we didn't try it.