Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Outpatient Gastric Bypass

I’m scheduled for an outpatient gastric bypass surgery at a BMI surgical center. Has anyone else had bypass as an outpatient? If so, what was your experience? Any helpful advice? I’m a little nervous to be going home the same day after this type of surgery. 😳

I would be nervous too, it's major surgery and requires good pain management afterwards. Why are they doing it as outpatient? What's their post-surgery care protocol? How will they manage your pain, nausea and post-op care?

I’m scheduled for an outpatient gastric bypass surgery at a BMI surgical center. Has anyone else had bypass as an outpatient? If so, what was your experience? Any helpful advice? I’m a little nervous to be going home the same day after this type of surgery. [emoji15]

I stayed one night, less than 24 hr after surgery, released first thing in the morning. I had asked if I could do it outpatient and my doctor said no. My sleeve was outpatient and many doctors in my area do outpatient RNY so I believe it is pretty common these days.

I would ask if they do the barium swallow test the next day and where do you have to go for it?

I had my surgery two weeks ago and the standard in Australia is min. Two nights stay so the idea of outpatient is weird to me but your surgeon and hospital would be professionals! :)

My sister had her bypass in Boston and she was kept for 2 days. I had mine near Boston and was kept for 3 days due to pain management issues. I can't imagine what it would have been like having it as outpatient.

I stayed overnight in the hospital (like most of us). I didn't have any issues, but I'm glad I was there being monitored just in case I did. When I had plastic surgery, part of the reason I chose the surgeon that I did is that he required an overnight stay in the hospital. I felt safer being there and being monitored just in case something came up (nothing did - but I'm still glad I was in the hospital for a night *just in case*)

10 hours ago, Jenndk1 said:

I’m scheduled for an outpatient gastric bypass surgery at a BMI surgical center. Has anyone else had bypass as an outpatient? If so, what was your experience? Any helpful advice? I’m a little nervous to be going home the same day after this type of surgery. 😳

I had the rny bypass and was in agony afterwards. Stayed 3 night in hospital but also in Australia. Ask the clinic if they have links to a medical facilities if you find yourself in difficulties. This is major surgery. Cant be too cautious.

On 02/08/2023 at 15:50, Jenndk1 said:

Have you had the surgery yet? How did you go?

On 2/7/2023 at 8:50 PM, Jenndk1 said:

i was originally scheduled for outpatient but was ultimately admitted for one night, released around 11 a.m. the next morning. I was also nervous about being outpatient so I wish they would have just planned to have me over night in the first place. The recovery was a lot harder than the sleeve, which I had done outpatient. I was told the hospitals are full so they try to get you out of there day of surgery if possible, but after I was admitted I noticed my floor only had like 3 of us up there, so I don't know what the logic is. I think bypass is too serious of a surgery to go home same day.

9 hours ago, bypass24jan2023 said:

Have you had the surgery yet? How did you go?

I haven’t had the surgery yet. I’m scheduled for March 6th. They have told me that I’ll be sent home with anti-nausea and pain meds as well as medication for avoiding blood clots. They’ll also give me the battery operated leg compression devices to wear. My surgery is in the morning, I’ll be observed the remainder of the day and sent home later same day with on-call info if anything comes up. I’m having it done at a bariatric surgical center and they seem pretty proactive. I had to go through an approval process to determine if I qualified health wise to have it done there or if I would be required to have it at the hospital. I am self pay and it is much more affordable to do it through the surgical center. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping all goes well. Still nervous about what my pain level will be like.

Just now, Jenndk1 said:

I haven’t had the surgery yet. I’m scheduled for March 6th. They have told me that I’ll be sent home with anti-nausea and pain meds as well as medication for avoiding blood clots. They’ll also give me the battery operated leg compression devices to wear. My surgery is in the morning, I’ll be observed the remainder of the day and sent home later same day with on-call info if anything comes up. I’m having it done at a bariatric surgical center and they seem pretty proactive. I had to go through an approval process to determine if I qualified health wise to have it done there or if I would be required to have it at the hospital. I am self pay and it is much more affordable to do it through the surgical center. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping all goes well. Still nervous about what my pain level will be like.

That's how mine was set up as well. My insurance ended up pulling through last minute and approved my revision, but their requirement was that I had it done at the hospital instead of the surgical center. I think the way the hospital administered the anesthesia and pain meds post-surgery contributed to my having to stay over night. I had never had that reaction with previous surgeries done at the surgical center.