Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all!

I had my VSG December 20th. Today I tried a stevia sweetened 0 cal drink and it made me super nauseous. Anyone else have this issue with stevia?

not at all. I use stevia everyday... probably 3 times a day in my coffees at work. been using it since i could drink coffee again after surgery. I use the regular Truvia Stevia and Stevia in the raw.

Did the drink also contain artificial sweeteners specifically sugar alcohols (xylitol, maltitol, erythritol, etc. - those that end in ‘ol’)? These are renown for causing nausea, diarrhoea, bloating & other digestive problems. Many find after surgery, they can’t tolerate these sweeteners after surgery.

Of course your tummy can be sensitive & fussy in the first couple of months after surgery (like a petulant two year old). A food or drink you can eat/drink one day causes you problems the next: tummy says no, not today. Doesn’t mean you won’t ever be able to have that food or drink. Give it a week or two & try them again. I remember easily eating a soft well cooked carrot one day but the next up it came. Tried it the next week & all was fine, never had an issue again.

I had my surgery 12/2/22 and I can only use Monk Fruit that doesn't have the sugar alcohols. I get nauseous with anything else and will eventually have diarrhea if I drink/eat too much of anything that has stevia or other artificial sweeteners. I can't even chew the sugar free gum without it upsetting my stomach.

Edited by naynay77

I have not had any issues post surgery, but prior to it any sugar substitute that had erythritol as the first ingredient will send me to the bathroom asap. If it is listed as the second or third I can tolerate.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 01/25/2023 at 22:15, Arabesque said:

Did the drink also contain artificial sweeteners specifically sugar alcohols (xylitol, maltitol, erythritol, etc. - those that end in ‘ol’)? These are renown for causing nausea, diarrhoea, bloating & other digestive problems. Many find after surgery, they can’t tolerate these sweeteners after surgery.

Of course your tummy can be sensitive & fussy in the first couple of months after surgery (like a petulant two year old). A food or drink you can eat/drink one day causes you problems the next: tummy says no, not today. Doesn’t mean you won’t ever be able to have that food or drink. Give it a week or two & try them again. I remember easily eating a soft well cooked carrot one day but the next up it came. Tried it the next week & all was fine, never had an issue again.

I threw it away, so I’m not sure, but I will definitely be paying better attention to the ingredients from now on!

1 hour ago, busymamasews said:

I threw it away, so I’m not sure, but I will definitely be paying better attention to the ingredients from now on!

17 hours ago, Arabesque said:

thank you for this information