Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m very new here and I’m so ready get sleeved!

My insurance (AETNA) requires 12 visits to my surgeon on a medically supervised diet program. The 12 visits can be scheduled however I see fit so I’m choosing weekly.

My surgeon is pushing for me to spread out the appointments so I can instill new eating habits and see some weight loss before surgery.

I want this so bad, I’m sticking to weekly appointments while really trying to put what I learn in this program into practice such as reading labels, journaling, following the surgeons’ calculated macros.

I think I can make weekly progress if I really turn on the tunnel vision.

Most insurance now days requires a medically supervised diet. Generally it ranges anywhere from 3 months to a full year. My own was 6 months, but it also took an extra 2 month to schedule my surgery due to the fact that they were overbooked, so for me it was 8 months. Maybe your surgeon is just used to patients having a longer requirement and is just concerned that maybe you'll struggle with the dietary requirements and getting used to eating in a new way? But, honestly? Although I DID diet before my surgery I don't eat the same way as I did now during that time. I took my weight loss phase of my surgery to learn how to eat healthier and how to do it in a sustainable way since this is not a 'diet' but rather a life change. You have to learn to eat in a healthier way for the rest of your life, but you want to do it sustainably. I had to learn how to work in foods that I loved, but do it in moderation. Because I do not want to be a statistic in weight loss surgery failure. I do NOT want to gain my weight back! Hell, I cry if I'm up 1 pounds over what I consider my 'comfort range' (the top of my comfort range is 191. My secondary maintenance weight range is 186-191. I say secondary because my original maintenance range for an entire year was 179-183, but in your second year leading up to your third year post op you gain some weight back. It's normal. It sucks and I had massive issues with it which is probably part of what is causing my chronic anxiety, but I'm allowing myself to not freak out as long as my weight doesn't go over 191 at the heaviest. I'm 189 today. And sorry if that's TMI. I'm an aspie so sometimes I overshare what others see as pointless info.).

Anyway, you are the one who knows yourself best and if you feel that you can be successful in three months then go for it! Also, welcome to the forums and I wish you the best on your weight loss journey! It's a difficult one, but incredibly fulfilling! 😊

On 1/13/2023 at 4:52 AM, SleevedGyal601 said:

I’m very new here and I’m so ready get sleeved!

My insurance (AETNA) requires 12 visits to my surgeon on a medically supervised diet program. The 12 visits can be scheduled however I see fit so I’m choosing weekly.

My surgeon is pushing for me to spread out the appointments so I can instill new eating habits and see some weight loss before surgery.

I want this so bad, I’m sticking to weekly appointments while really trying to put what I learn in this program into practice such as reading labels, journaling, following the surgeons’ calculated macros.

I think I can make weekly progress if I really turn on the tunnel vision.

Welcome!

You know yourself best. Hopefully your passion doesn't burn brightly for a few months and then wane in time. This is a long game and it's nearly all mental.

I had 6 months of visits and I'm glad for it. The delay gave me time to start therapy, time to read all the books I could get, time to research complications and treatments, time to gather supplies, and time to prepare my loved ones. It also gave me time to try to lose weight on my own, fully cementing the conviction that I cannot.

Take advantage of this time - as short as it is. Learn about yourself. Learn all you can about your issues with food and learn ways to correct them. Learn new coping skills - you'll need them when you can no longer turn to food. And you'll need to keep practicing them, so that when food becomes a viable coping option again - later on - you won't go down that road.

I also have Aetna. I had my 2nd dietary appointment today and I was told I could even do some of my appointments over the phone. I am trying to do them all in person though because I think it really holds me accountable since I know I'll be weighing in.