Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't - yet. But, I've mostly dealt with my past trauma. It's current (and future) issues that I need help with.

Many of us use food as a coping mechanism for emotional pain - the same way an alcoholic uses alcohol, or a drug addict uses drugs.

If you take away a person's drug of choice - ours often being food - then it stands to reason that we will have to deal with the issues that we've been masking with the use of food. Well, we either have to deal with the issues or we get to look forward to transfer addiction (or regaining our weight in a year).

I knew that I had issues with food and that I used food as a coping mechanism. So, about 2 months before surgery, I started therapy. If you have unresolved trauma that is coming up (or that you're worried will come up) I would suggest speaking to a counselor.

The surgeon works on our stomach - not our brain. And if our reason for overeating was mental, then the surgery will only help us in the short term. Eventually, our tummies will heal and we'll be able to eat large amounts of food again. And if we aren't careful, and we make poor choices, then we will regain our weight. We really need to be taking advantage of this first year after surgery, to change our relationship with food.

Prior to committing to wls I considered joining a group study at a local hospital focused around incorporating a joint therapeutic medical and psychological approach to weight loss. Scheduling didn’t work out bc of my current work travel obligations but something that stuck out to me in the initial interview processes that the doctor said. He indicated that people who struggle with their weight especially those who have experience physical, emotional, or sexual abuse (all with higher prevalence those who are overweight than the population in general) often reached a point in their weight loss that they struggled to move past because they found comfort or almost protection in the invisibility that being a larger person can sometimes provide.

This is something I can relate to certainly, but more to the point of your question I think having the surgery gives us a sliver of determinism - obviously there is still much work for us to do but we will most definitely lose weight compared to without it. And with that weight loss so disappears that protective invisibly that can offers victim of abuse or trauma comfort. I could see how even just after surgery this could even subconsciously raise anxiety and drum up thoughts of those past traumas. I also believe our bodies memories in places outside the brain. “What our bones know” etc. And it’s important to remember surgery is a trauma to our bodies. Experiencing the trauma of surgery itself may trigger tho use memories.

I admit that I’ve dwelled on a past assault more than normal in the month since my surgery. I speculate it’s related more to the former than the latter reason, but luckily I’ve worked through it significantly in therapy in the past and know how to cope.

If possible you might find some benefit from a short course of therapy to work through its.

Regardless feel free to message if you ever need someone to listen. Sending love and strength.

It's not uncommon for people who have experienced emotional trauma to have additional challenges or changes in their emotional and mental health after a significant physical change such as gastric surgery. It's possible that weight loss surgery may trigger the reemergence of memories or feelings that were previously repressed.

Also, the surgery may affect the way the body processes and stores nutrients which in turn can affect the way the brain functions and can lead to changes in mood and mental state.

It's important to note that every individual's experience is unique and it's hard to generalize. It's important to have a open communication with your healthcare team, and also to have a good support system in place before and after surgery.

It's also important to be aware that the post-surgery period can be an emotional rollercoaster, with a lot of changes happening both physically and emotionally. It's important to be mindful of that and not to be too hard on yourself, and seek help if needed.

I haven't - yet. But, I've mostly dealt with my past trauma. It's current (and future) issues that I need help with.
Many of us use food as a coping mechanism for emotional pain - the same way an alcoholic uses alcohol, or a drug addict uses drugs.
If you take away a person's drug of choice - ours often being food - then it stands to reason that we will have to deal with the issues that we've been masking with the use of food. Well, we either have to deal with the issues or we get to look forward to transfer addiction (or regaining our weight in a year).
I knew that I had issues with food and that I used food as a coping mechanism. So, about 2 months before surgery, I started therapy. If you have unresolved trauma that is coming up (or that you're worried will come up) I would suggest speaking to a counselor.
The surgeon works on our stomach - not our brain. And if our reason for overeating was mental, then the surgery will only help us in the short term. Eventually, our tummies will heal and we'll be able to eat large amounts of food again. And if we aren't careful, and we make poor choices, then we will regain our weight. We really need to be taking advantage of this first year after surgery, to change our relationship with food.

Thank you for sharing

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

It's not uncommon for people who have experienced emotional trauma to have additional challenges or changes in their emotional and mental health after a significant physical change such as gastric surgery. It's possible that weight loss surgery may trigger the reemergence of memories or feelings that were previously repressed.
Also, the surgery may affect the way the body processes and stores nutrients which in turn can affect the way the brain functions and can lead to changes in mood and mental state.
It's important to note that every individual's experience is unique and it's hard to generalize. It's important to have a open communication with your healthcare team, and also to have a good support system in place before and after surgery.
It's also important to be aware that the post-surgery period can be an emotional rollercoaster, with a lot of changes happening both physically and emotionally. It's important to be mindful of that and not to be too hard on yourself, and seek help if needed.
Thank you for sharing

Prior to committing to wls I considered joining a group study at a local hospital focused around incorporating a joint therapeutic medical and psychological approach to weight loss. Scheduling didn’t work out bc of my current work travel obligations but something that stuck out to me in the initial interview processes that the doctor said. He indicated that people who struggle with their weight especially those who have experience physical, emotional, or sexual abuse (all with higher prevalence those who are overweight than the population in general) often reached a point in their weight loss that they struggled to move past because they found comfort or almost protection in the invisibility that being a larger person can sometimes provide.

This is something I can relate to certainly, but more to the point of your question I think having the surgery gives us a sliver of determinism - obviously there is still much work for us to do but we will most definitely lose weight compared to without it. And with that weight loss so disappears that protective invisibly that can offers victim of abuse or trauma comfort. I could see how even just after surgery this could even subconsciously raise anxiety and drum up thoughts of those past traumas. I also believe our bodies memories in places outside the brain. “What our bones know” etc. And it’s important to remember surgery is a trauma to our bodies. Experiencing the trauma of surgery itself may trigger tho use memories.

I admit that I’ve dwelled on a past assault more than normal in the month since my surgery. I speculate it’s related more to the former than the latter reason, but luckily I’ve worked through it significantly in therapy in the past and know how to cope.

If possible you might find some benefit from a short course of therapy to work through its.

Regardless feel free to message if you ever need someone to listen. Sending love and strength.

Thank you so much. I actually am a trauma therapist. I also have done my own therapy. We know that trauma is stored in the body and women vary carry it in our hips and core. I noticed a few things after my surgery and was processing with my therapist. I wanted to see how common it was. I appreciate your kindness.