Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op day 3 and struggling

I had my surgery 4 days ago and am experiencing a lot of discomfort in my stomach every time I drink - even tiny sips of Water. I’m worried if this doesn’t get better soon I’ll have to go in for IV hydration. Did anyone else have a hard time keeping up with liquid intake postop? I knew it would be hard but I didn’t realize it would be so painful….

I think everyone has issued with the Water. I had to stay an extra day in the hospital until I got my quota in. I find even room temperature is harder than slightly warm. Take sips not a drink so 1 oz in 15 minutes. I set my phone timer. I used my timer for 3-4 weeks. When I get distracted and don't get my water in, I get constipated. At 6 weeks, I have a power aide container that I need to get down before lunch, and another by 4, by dinner. Another before I go to bed.

Try drinking warm liquids. I couldn't tolerate anything cold for the first 2ish weeks. But warm broth, tea, etc was completely fine. That's how I got my fluids in until my stomach calmed down and I was able to drink normal drinks.

1 hour ago, LibbyP0214 said:

I haven’t been able to keep down much Protein but my doctor says that happens sometimes - when were you able to tolerate the Protein Drinks?

I was always able to tolerate them, as long as I popped them in the microwave for like 30 seconds (if they had been sitting out of the fridge....1 minute in the micro if they were in the fridge).

This is one of those things that you can’t fully comprehend until you experience it. Before my surgery, I read about people struggling to get enough fluids, but I thought it would be simple if I just remembered to keep sipping. Ha! It is much harder than it looks. I think most surgeons’ expectations for Fluid intake are unrealistic for the first few days after surgery. I found it easier to drink warm fluids than cold, and Protein hot cocoa was a necessity for protein intake in the beginning. Protein Soups are also helpful.

100% agreed. I’m 3 days post op and thought how hard could it be to get 1 oz in every 15 minutes ha! The burning sensation in the stomach every time I sip doesn’t help either.

4 hours ago, CandyCane101 said:

100% agreed. I’m 3 days post op and thought how hard could it be to get 1 oz in every 15 minutes ha! The burning sensation in the stomach every time I sip doesn’t help either.

Same here. Day 3 for me as well and the only that goes down without any pain is SF popsicles. Plain Water hurts the worst. Can't wait until tomorrow, I can have SF Jello pudding and yogurt.

35 minutes ago, gojackets said:

Same here. Day 3 for me as well and the only that goes down without any pain is SF popsicles. Plain Water hurts the worst. Can't wait until tomorrow, I can have SF Jello pudding and yogurt.

Sorry to hear you’re having a hard time too but good to know I’m not alone. this too shall pass.

I'm 7 days Post-op and having very difficult time getting in the Water also. I thought I was the only one with the pain after drinking. I pray that we all get past this phase quickly. I'll try the warm liquids to see if it helps. Thank you all for your posts.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

If you do get to the point that you need fluids, contact your team first. They should be able to arrange for you to get them without going to the ER. I had to get them and I did go to the hospital building but it was a different part. I thought for sure I was going to be sent to the ER.

If you have a paper cut on your finger it hurts really bad and they are usually teeny tiny ones. Our stomachs have been chopped off. Its a huge surgery. There is a swelling and healing process going on that we cant see but I really didnt understand either. I had a tough time early on, I had to stay in the hospital 6 days. My stomach cut line was so swollen they thought I had a stricture.

Every day got better and the more Fluid you get in the better you feel. Have a drink with you even in bed, it all helps