Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am I doing wrong?

Let me start by saying I know stalls are normal. I know it won't drop off over night. I know this is a process, and I must trust it.

But I can't help thinking that I might be doing something wrong here??

I am 7-8 weeks post op, and since my three week stall 😞 I will lose half a pound, then stay that weight for a week or longer, then loose half a pound, then stay that weight.

This has been happening for over a month, and it is so frustrating! I haven't seen anyone else have something similar to this happen.

The only thing on my plan that I haven't completely 100% followed is working out consistently. I walk as much as I can, daily, but haven't gotten to really do weights or anything because I have no idea what I am doing in the gym (meeting with a free consultation to get a better grip on what they have and what is what at the gym tonight)

Could not weight lifting really cause this though?

Don't fret. Everyone is different, you are starting with a lower BMI so naturally you are going to lose weight slower. Your calorie deficit is not as large as someone starting with a higher BMI, but as long as you have a calorie deficit you WILL lose weight. It just may not be at a speed that satisfies you.

I also suggest giving the scale and break and taking some measurements and pictures for other comparisons.

Do you track your food, log it? Sure you know exactly how many calories you are eating in a day? If not, start.

Weight lifting is not the reason though, it is to gain muscle and tone, not to lose weight.

Lastly, reach out to your team. Maybe try to get an apt with your Dietician? Go over your eating, calories, exercise, etc.

You can do this! Good luck.

27 minutes ago, kcuster83 said:

Don't fret. Everyone is different, you are starting with a lower BMI so naturally you are going to lose weight slower. Your calorie deficit is not as large as someone starting with a higher BMI, but as long as you have a calorie deficit you WILL lose weight. It just may not be at a speed that satisfies you.

I also suggest giving the scale and break and taking some measurements and pictures for other comparisons.

Do you track your food, log it? Sure you know exactly how many calories you are eating in a day? If not, start.

Weight lifting is not the reason though, it is to gain muscle and tone, not to lose weight.

Lastly, reach out to your team. Maybe try to get an apt with your Dietician? Go over your eating, calories, exercise, etc.

You can do this! Good luck.

I religiously track, i get between 600-900 calories a day depending on what I meal prepped + if i have 4 or 5 meals.

my dietician told me i was being dramatic XD

exercise only accounts for about 20% of weight loss - and I've known of several people who've lost a bunch of weight post-op without exercising at all- so it's likely not that. If you're getting 600-900 calories a day, that should be fine. It may just be your body's particular weight loss "pattern". As long as your general trend is downward, you should be good.

Patience. I go for a week or so nothing then bam down #3. Try some.of your previous clothes that gave me motivation. My pants were baggy in butt and thighs.

Our weight loss journeys will have similarities but lots of differences too. Yours just may lose at slower rate & that’s okay.

I don’t think you’re being dramatic as your dietician suggested. This is a big emotional, mental physical (& financial) investment in your life so there’s nothing wrong or ‘dramatic’ about wanting to be sure you’re doing the right thing.

Oh & don’t worry too much about not exercising & that affecting your weight loss. I didn’t do any & I lost all my weight & more. I just increased my normal day to day activity - used stairs not escalators/lifts, parked further away, did multiple trips up & down my stairs (why do one trip to bring up the groceries when I could do two or three). All I do now are some stretches to support my back & some resistance exercises with bands. As @catwoman7 said, exercising only accounts for 20% of your weight loss (though I read it was only 10% for most people). Of course there are many health benefits to exercising. Just find something you enjoy when you’re ready.

Hello.

I am about 6 weeks post op and have lost 21 lbs. I realize that I am losing slowly but still losing. I have some medical conditions that are contributors to me losing slowly and I am ok with that. It's a process. We will have good weeks and have not so good weeks. Keep your Protein and Water intake good and maybe start tracking your food. I have started exercising this week and have only done two days, but it's a start. Slow and steady wins the race.

That's how I am. Sometimes we have to remember that slow and steady wins the race. I lost 30 pounds in the first 2 weeks after surgery. Now I am 7 months out, and I lose MAYBE 2 pounds a week. Sometimes 3. And my stalls went from 2 weeks to 3 to 4. Every 6 weeks or so, I hit another one. When It breaks, I drop like 5 or 6 pounds. Then it goes back to inching along until my next stall. It's really frustrating, but what you want to do is focus on your NSV (Non scale Victories). Does your face look smaller? Are your clothes getting looser? Do your rinds feel bigger? Can you move around better? When the scale isn't doing what we want it to, we have to look to see what our bodies are doing. THAT's where you'll get a more complete picture of what's happening.

I lost 16 lbs the first month, so I was probably about where you are at six weeks out. I was really worried about being a "slow loser", but I went on to lose all of my excess weight, over 200 lbs. So don't worry - if you stick to your plan, the weight will come off, either fast or slow.

Great. I lost 33# the first month then a stall for 2 weeks now. I now am getting enough energy with soft foods so set up my treadmill. I will rejoin my gymn membership in January. Plan to do some mall browsing to get steps in. Just got my fitbit out. For 5 days the 4th week, no scale movement and then bam 3#. I guess patience, hydrate and Protein while getting to enjoy life is key. Scale 2x a week.

So I read all the comments and I just want to reiterate, I do track, religiously.

I didn't weigh all weekend, we were out of town for our anniversary, but when I weighed this morning I was down 2 lbs from friday morning... and I was shocked because I ate off plan this weekend (still had the portions, just tried things I haven't had yet, like bread, grits, mashed potatoes..)

I looked online and the google says that sometimes it helps when your body hits a plateua to shake things up by either upping carbs or fat for a few days to get it going, so maybe its what it needed?

your calories could be too low too… sometimes one day with some reasonable treats and higher calories will kick your metabolism into gear …

also are you measuring ??? often people who exercise will loose inches (fat) but not pounds due to muscles 💪

Hi heatherdbby! I feel I’m in the same spot you're in. I’ve lost 42 lbs including my pre- surgery weight loss. I stalled for almost four weeks before losing a couple of pounds and now I’ve stalled again. My surgery was Oct 13th. At my 6 week check up they said everything was right on track. However, it is so hard when you see posts on here talking about this amazing weight loss in short periods of time and then you look at yourself and can’t help but compare. I know we shouldn’t and that everyone is different, but it’s just really hard. I’m also starting the gym tomorrow so I’m hoping that will change things up a bit. I just try to remember when the last time I lost 42 lbs in two months and surprise-surprise, I can’t remember such a time. Lol

in case anyone wondered my body is still doing crazy things.

I have been yo-yoing between 185-188 since march 20th now. Its like the stall that will never end

Just have faith. I have lost approximately 80 pounds (includes pre-surgery loss). My surgery was Oct 3 2022. I get slightly frustrated if I look at the scale too closely. I rely on measurements and how my clothes fit. As well as pictures. Knowing I've lost, I'm still amazed when I look at side by side pictures. I've been stuck between 164-166 since the beginning of April. But if I look at my weekly average, my total loss has stayed at an average of 1.5 pounds per week. Remember the recommend loss for standard weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week. The first stall I had was 3 weeks long then I loose for about 4 weeks before my next stall. Each stall lasts between 3 to 5 weeks for me each time. Then again, I don't have regular bowl movements (never have). Usually, my stall ends after a movement. LOL. Just keep your head up and stay strong. You are doing great. The closer we get to our goal the tougher it will be.