Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 minutes ago, judy.boop said:

Is it fair to say that Beriatric diet is like Keto? I mean my dietitian says no bread, no rice, no potatoes.

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

It may be similar but my dietician is ok with complex carbs, but the fats are restricted. I believe that Keto allows alot more fats.

Bottom line, no.

Keto is a high fat, moderate Protein, low carb diet. Post-surgical diets vary a lot, but almost all of them emphasize protein first. Most also emphasize low fat and low to moderate carbs.

In maintenance, lots of folks eat a more normal diet, eating a balance of protein, fats and carbs.

Actually I’d say it’s more Atkins than Keto, though both advocate high fat, low carb. The difference is Atkins recommends higher Protein & also healthy carbs in maintenance. Keto doesn’t. Keto also is quite restrictive in choice of vegetables & fruit while Atkins has more options. It may be best not to try to define your post surgery diet as anything other than your post surgery diet as prescribed by your surgeon & dietician. We all get too stuck on labels.

Generally, your post surgery diet is high protein, low carb, low fat, low sugar while losing. Starches like rice,bread, Pasta & potatoes are not recommended for a couple of reasons. Unused starch quickly turns into fat. Rice, pasta & bread swell in the tummy leaving less room for you to eat protein & more nutritious food choices (i.e. vegetables). They often sit heavily in your tummy as well making you unable to eat what you need as well. They are considered higher processed carbs too. Many successfully reintroduce them or variations of them in maintenance.

No one ‘diet’ works for everyone & many aren’t sustainable in the long term. That’s one of the reasons we always failed in the past. Work out a way of eating (not a ‘diet’) that works for you, your body (health), your lifestyle, allows you maintain & is sustainable & allows some flexibility if needed. It may take elements of a few different ways of eating. I don’t consider myself on a diet. This is just what I eat.

There is a thing called "bariatric keto" which is basically Atkins in that it is higher Protein than current Keto fads call for, but Atkins is "old school" while keto is "in" and what people want to do if they are keeping up with current fads - so they label it appropriately.

But, I wouldn't compare a bariatric diet (which is basically maintenance level protein and then whatever else to fill in the minimal caloric requirement one has,) to keto, or Atkins, though one can use them if so inclined, but neither is all that sustainable long term, and that is what you should be striving for. Think in terms of what your diet should be in five or ten years - if that's keto or Atkins for you, great, but there's no compelling reason that it should be either. It can be vegetarian or vegan if that floats your boat, and that will work just as well.

16 hours ago, judy.boop said:

Is it fair to say that Beriatric diet is like Keto?

No. It's by far not the same. Also there is no "bariatric diet". The recommended diet varies from country to country, even from team to team.

I mean my dietitian says no bread, no rice, no potatoes.

By far not every dietician recommends this.

I do what is considered bariatric Keto. Low carbs, high Protein, moderate healthy fats (higher amount than carb amount but less than protein amount). My body responded to keto really well before surgery but not well after. My body didn't like the bariatric diet at all. But a happy medium (bariatric keto) seems to be right where my body is happy and responds well. You just have to make sure you do HEALTHY fats, not tons of eggs, bacon, sausage, etc every day. And all the diets require very low to no sugar. I also gave up caffeine, which was the hardest part of all of it.

k. i did ultra low carb (<25 NET g per day), aimed to get 60g Protein per day and just let the fat fall where it may that kept me under a certain calorie level.

I have no idea what diet that would called. maybe calorie-restricted-modified-Atkins-2??

...but im going to say this (and i know there will be opposing positions to it!): beyond the initial drop in weight when going low-carb, in MY experience, macro makeup has little influence on long-term weight loss than calorie deficit does.

try different tactics, and find out what works for YOU. not everyone will respond the same way to a particular "diet".

Good Luck! ❤️

There isn't one diet. My program is very much about balanced eating, from early on. They have never said no carb or even low carb at any point in this process. Of course, they prefer better quality carbs, but they don't villainize a slice of bread. In fact, I just saw my nutritionist and described my normal Breakfast, which involves a light English muffin. She loved it (because English muffins haven't expanded in size over the years like Bagels and other items have) , and was baffled when I told her my PCP was aghast I was having an English muffin at breakfast. Honestly if I didn't have carbs (and that darn English muffin) it would be really hard to hit my calorie goals, which are also not as low as others might stick to (we just upped me to 1750, because I've been at 1500 and am working out at a lot at fairly high intensity but losing very slowly).

I think we sometimes need to experiment, within reason, to determine what works best for us - physically and mentally. I know going carb free would not work long term for me, so I'm working on building better carb habits. Other people love going low or no carb, and their bodies respond. I think we need to be smart about how we go about things but also realize there are a lot of paths to success. It's about what works for our bodies and minds.

Every surgeon has a different post-op diet. Luckily, my current surgeon's diet philosophy is similar to my own. My post-op was and still is a balanced diet with tons of fruits and veggies. After 8 weeks, the basics of my diet is to get my adequate Protein, 7 to 13 servings of fruit/veggies a day, 20 to 50g good fat, and good carbohydrates (about 50% of my calories are from carbs).