Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Able to eat without a probably 2 weeks post op

Hi guys. I am 1 week and a few days post Op from my sleeve surgery. I’m a little concern because I have notice that I am able to drink Water like normal. I’m also able to drink Protein Shakes without a problem. I had mash potato and I was able to eat a good amount without having to feel horrible. I know everyone is different. I just find it strange. Has anyone dealt with this? I’m just nervous that this surgery did not work.

I'm the same way. One week out and I'm easily getting my Water in (70-90+ oz a day). I don't need to sip and feel like I can drink a lot at a time. I can't necessarily chug anything (tbh I haven't tried cause I'm scared) but I have caught myself gulping a few times and it was fine. I contacted my team and they say to be grateful to be staying hydrated and that some people handle it better than others. And liquids run through you quicker. It should be way different when we get to solid foods. Mashed potatoes are pretty thin compared to something like a chicken breast which should fill us up more.

I have my moments where I worry about it too though. I'm really trying to trust the process and follow my programs recommendations. Mine recommends no more than 1/4 a cup per meal so I'm sticking to that. I'm not full but satisfied enough that I'm not starving. Puree stage sucks lol.

On 11/02/2022 at 21:36, kiel_d-01 said:

I'm the same way. One week out and I'm easily getting my Water in (70-90+ oz a day). I don't need to sip and feel like I can drink a lot at a time. I can't necessarily chug anything (tbh I haven't tried cause I'm scared) but I have caught myself gulping a few times and it was fine. I contacted my team and they say to be grateful to be staying hydrated and that some people handle it better than others. And liquids run through you quicker. It should be way different when we get to solid foods. Mashed potatoes are pretty thin compared to something like a chicken breast which should fill us up more.

I have my moments where I worry about it too though. I'm really trying to trust the process and follow my programs recommendations. Mine recommends no more than 1/4 a cup per meal so I'm sticking to that. I'm not full but satisfied enough that I'm not starving. Puree stage sucks lol.

Have you tried drinking the Protein Shake. Yeah I’m slowing transitioning into purée food. Just found it weird I was able to eat a several spoons of mash potatoes without a problem. Of course I didn’t go over bored but yeah hopefully it’s not the same with solids.

1 minute ago, victoria0322 said:

Have you tried drinking the Protein Shake. Yeah I’m slowing transitioning into purée food. Just found it weird I was able to eat a several spoons of mash potatoes without a problem. Of course I didn’t go over bored but yeah hopefully it’s not the same with solids.

Yep it's the same for me with the Protein shakes! I can finish off a 8oz shake easily. Liquids just go straight through ya

I was the same way with both the vsg and after my revision to rny. Usually people post if they have problems. When things go so smooth, we just talk calories... Etc. You're doing great.

Some people do have very few issues with drinking & eating. It’s part of us all being different & our bodies reacting differently to the surgery. Yes, fluids do pass through your digestive system more quickly but another thing to consider is that lots of nerves were cut during your surgery & messages & signals like feeling full don’t always get through until you are fully recovered. It’s why we’re advised to take things slowly & to be aware of portion sizes. When you are full healed, you’ll likely discover the signals & messages are different. For example, some say they now get the hiccups or their nose runs when they are full or have had enough.

On 11/2/2022 at 6:08 PM, victoria0322 said:

Hi guys. I am 1 week and a few days post Op from my sleeve surgery. I’m a little concern because I have notice that I am able to drink Water like normal. I’m also able to drink Protein Shakes without a problem. I had mash potato and I was able to eat a good amount without having to feel horrible. I know everyone is different. I just find it strange. Has anyone dealt with this? I’m just nervous that this surgery did not work.

I just started purees, yesterday. But, I had zero restriction with fluids. I can drink Water and Protein Shakes pretty quickly.

I could be wrong, but I think potatoes are slider foods. That would explain why you can eat them without much restriction. Maybe try something higher in Protein, like cottage cheese.

I'm about 2.5 weeks post-op gastric bypass and I can eat 1/4 cup of egg salad (egg, mayo, mustard, salt, onion powder). I can probably only eat about 1/8 cup of ricotta bake - my stomach starts to hurt - I assume it's the acid in the spaghetti sauce.

Most people have restriction after surgery, but not everyone does. That's why it's so important for us to learn healthy habits. I got a 30-second sand timer to use between bites of food. And I also eat with baby spoons, to make sure I take smaller bites.

Eventually, I do feel full, but not before I stop eating. Just like before surgery, my satiety cues are delayed. Because I can't rely on my body to tell me that I need to stop, I have to be very careful about measuring out my food. My nutritionist says I should be eating between 1/4 and 1/2 cup over the next 2 weeks, so that's what I'm doing.